• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165: 0551VPMW - Any experience with this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mystfied

Hello,

Just got an Opteron 165 for a family media-ish machine. Just working with the stock cooler right now, and I'm wondering if this is a good stepping.

I'm sure I'm going to overclock it sometime... although my dad feels antsy about that kind of stuff ("oh it's fast enough"). Any way to convince him it's safe to go at least a little bit above 1.8GHz? :)

Thanks.

These things can go to 2.7 EASILY in most cases. As a compromoise, you can just say you'll go to 2.5 'ish. But how's he going to know?: )

I won't say it would go 2.7 EASILY, but depending on what boad and PSU you are using, you can get it up there stable.

If you're worried about safety, just go as high as you can on stock vcore. Prime it for a day or two and show him it won't cause errors.

mystfied said:
Hello,

Just got an Opteron 165 for a family media-ish machine. Just working with the stock cooler right now, and I'm wondering if this is a good stepping.

I'm sure I'm going to overclock it sometime... although my dad feels antsy about that kind of stuff ("oh it's fast enough"). Any way to convince him it's safe to go at least a little bit above 1.8GHz? :)

Thanks.
I will probably get flamed for this on A OVERCLOCKERS forum but here goes.

Yes you can get more out of that CPU core.But i would leave it just as it is.
When you go overclocking CPU's on Family and customers .If they have any problems they look at you like you killed the family dog.You are responsible for breaking the family machine.

Safest thing you can do is leave it stock so you are not a slave to every little issue that comes up with it.If the hard drive fails 3 years from now, it will somehow be you're fault .Especially if you overclock it in any way.Both you and I know that equipment fails for no apperant reason.But the unknowing masses assume that through you're magical/witchcraft overclocking is the responsiblity their equipment to die/fail in service.

My $0.02 is to leave it stock and leave them happy.
MassRaptor

I've got one of these, too, and I'm going to put it in and burn it in, prolly this weekend, I suppose. Maybe even tonight, so I can play with it over the weekend. :)

Mmmm I'm worried about just what massraptor is talking about.

Maybe I'll just bring it up to 2.0GHz or 2.2GHz and nobody will know :-/

My 165 is an 0551 VPMW. It does 2.7 on stock voltage. I believe that with stock voltage you are only running it at the same speed of a more expensive chip and you are really not incurring any unusual risk. That said, Massraptor's point is a good one, as you will leave yourself open to being blamed for anything that might go wrong.

rseven said:
My 165 is an 0551 VPMW. It does 2.7 on stock voltage. I believe that with stock voltage you are only running it at the same speed of a more expensive chip and you are really not incurring any unusual risk. That said, Massraptor's point is a good one, as you will leave yourself open to being blamed for anything that might go wrong.

Hi I have the same stepping but cant seem to go over 2.42 :(.

Abit KN8 SLi
2x512 OCZ Gold DDR400
Enermax Noisetaker 485w
Opty 165 0551 VPMW

Right now its at:
HTT multi 4
HTT 270
Mem Div DDR333
Vdimm 3.2V
Mem Timings are at 2-2-2-7
Stock Voltage on the CPU

Ive tried 280 fsb and it boots windows but its not stable, could you give me any pointers ? I would die happy on 2.6Ghz, congrats on your results.

Juic3 said:
Hi I have the same stepping but cant seem to go over 2.42 :(.

Abit KN8 SLi
2x512 OCZ Gold DDR400
Enermax Noisetaker 485w
Opty 165 0551 VPMW

Right now its at:
HTT multi 4
HTT 270
Mem Div DDR333
Vdimm 3.2V
Mem Timings are at 2-2-2-7
Stock Voltage on the CPU

Ive tried 280 fsb and it boots windows but its not stable, could you give me any pointers ? I would die happy on 2.6Ghz, congrats on your results.

your HT multi should be at 3 at that HTT, you dont want it over 1000. You should also try relaxing the memory timings so you can just be testing the CPU, figure out how the RAM can perform after you push the CPU to its limit (ie. use a steeper memory divider and push the HTT higher)

squads said:
your HT multi should be at 3 at that HTT, you dont want it over 1000. You should also try relaxing the memory timings so you can just be testing the CPU, figure out how the RAM can perform after you push the CPU to its limit (ie. use a steeper memory divider and push the HTT higher)

So your saying:

Htt x3
Htt 280-290
Mem Timings 2.5-3-3-8
Divider at DDR333 or DDR266

That should work better ?

I would go with the DDR266 divider and bump your HTT by 5 or 6 points each time you try a new overclock. Those memory timings should be fine. i would try 275 HTT to begin with if 270 is stable. What voltage are you using btw?

I'm slightly with Mass on this one. If you are not really going to be pushing the CPU it makes no sense to overclock it. Even at 1.8Ghz it will do everything you through at it with no problems. Saying that it's almost a crime not to overlcock a 165 so see if you can sneak it to 2.4Ghz, should be too hard. ;)

squads said:
I would go with the DDR266 divider and bump your HTT by 5 or 6 points each time you try a new overclock. Those memory timings should be fine. i would try 275 HTT to begin with if 270 is stable. What voltage are you using btw?

As of right now:
HTT 4x
HTT 270
CPU Vcore Stock
Memory is at 333 divider and 2-3-2-6-1T timings with 3.2 Vdimm.

Your saying I should kick off by DDR266 divider, HTT 3x, and start bumping FSB.

Update: Doing 2.5 right now with these settings ^^. SuperPI is like a couple of seconds behind with this divider, makes sense I guess, but will it be better on games ? Or Am I just checking for my CPUs limit ? :D Im getting some DDR500 in a while.

Last edited:
yea this is just to find the CPU limit...push the ram after you figure out how high the CPU will go

It is always best to find out the max clock of each component separately and not have to guess which one is failing. It can take a bit more time in the short run, but it will save you a lot of head scratching in the long run.

Back