• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 2900XT 'X-Fire' overclocking advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HookeyStreet

Registered
I was thinking about getting another 2900XT and running CrossFire, but I was wondering how I would go about overclocking the 2 cards at the same time (I heard you need 2 monitors to do this?)

Also, would a 2900Pro, flashed to XT, work in CrossFire with another 'real' XT? (I thought it would, but Im unsure)

Any advice would be great, thanks :)

2 monitors? Who the hell told you that?
CrossFire and SLI only supports 1 monitor unless you want a single pane over so many monitors.

Just pop in another 2900(you could get a PRO and flash it to XT to save money) and enable crossfire. You need either 2 8-pin PCIe power connectors or you could just short them to allow for overclocking in overdrive. Or use a third-party application.

2 monitors? Who the hell told you that?
CrossFire and SLI only supports 1 monitor unless you want a single pane over so many monitors.

Just pop in another 2900(you could get a PRO and flash it to XT to save money) and enable crossfire. You need either 2 8-pin PCIe power connectors or you could just short them to allow for overclocking in overdrive. Or use a third-party application.

Cool, so CCC 'OverDrive' supports 2 cards? Does Rivatuner support 2 cards also?

BTW, the dual monitor thing was said on another site....I think they wer overclocking the cards individually for some reason? I just thought it was normal lol :)

Yes(they added that just recently) and yes. :)

If you have the CPU power and PCIe bandwidth you can reap the spoils(frames) of CrossFire.

So do you think X-Fire will work well on my system? My Q6600 is running at 3.4GHz, surely thats enough processing power to push the 2x 2900XT's along?

So do you think X-Fire will work well on my system? My Q6600 is running at 3.4GHz, surely thats enough processing power to push the 2x 2900XT's along?

depends on the game and resolution you're running at. I would think at 1920x1200 and all graphics option on max you're more likely to bottleneck the GPU than a quad-core because most games are more dependent on the graphics card than the cpu.

depends on the game and resolution you're running at. I would think at 1920x1200 and all graphics option on max you're more likely to bottleneck the GPU than a quad-core because most games are more dependent on the graphics card than the cpu.

I use 1280 x 1024 ;)

I use 1280 x 1024 ;)

the lower the framerate you use the more the cpu becomes the bottleneck. If you played at 800x600 2x2900xt's would imo be very cpu limited (even with a q at 3.4). It could be likely that if you got a higher res monitor and increased your res from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 you would still have great framerates.

Back