• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's better than the golden orb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Criminal

Registered
i'm running a cb0 celeron2 600 @ 900 , 1.75 volts with a golden orb. I want to go higher. I can boot @ 945 at 1.85 volts without problems, can run 3dmark 2001 loops but will hang at a certain point. is this a heat issue? i don't know what temps i have because my mobo doesn't have temp monitoring.
do you think that an fop32 or fop38 will help in getting more out of my cpu?

For me personally, burning helped. Before I couldn't even go over 100MHz FSB, but after about 6-8 hours of burning @ 1.70V (Celeron 2 600 cB0, Abit VH6) I could boot into 900MHz, but it hanged, so I burned it a bit longer, and than I could boot into windows w/o errors. P.S.: Now I've got Alpha PAL6035 w/Y.S. Tech fan.

When I had the orb, the temps were 36'C at default speed (600), so try downloading some kind of temperature monitoring program and see your temps.

Try getting SiSoft Sandra Pro 2001. (the demo would do it)
It will give you everything you need to know about your system (I'm not sure if its very accurate though, it shows that the CPU temp is 36 when its 31 according to BIOS, for me at least)

Remember, crime don't pay.

Criminal, it's either heat or you need more voltage. Either way, you need a better cooler. The GlobalWin FOP coolers are excellent for the price. The noisy FOP38 fan will drive you crazy, maybe try a 32 with good thermal paste. If you need more cooling, you can always swap the 60mm fan for an 80mm one like I did.

I'm sorry. I always seem to give the same answer. Alpha Pal 6035 w/Delta 7K. Yes its kinda loud. Yes its kinda heavy. But yes it does one helluva job cooling :)

I agree, i was thinking heat myself but who knows....., ive got the Vantec with Delta and combated the sound by making it run @7V and that solved my probs.

Mr.B has had a lot of success with the Celeron, i'll use his setup as an example. At first he had a 600 with a GORB and if i remember it ran at 1008. After he got the PEP66 i believe he got 1054 and im sure lower temps. Cant beat that. Im sure if you got a better cooler (Fop32-1,38, alpha PEP66 and the likes) im sure you could not only get higher speeds but lower temps and increase stability.

Im loving my vantec, the P!!!800EB cant go higher on this mobo but the Vantec lowered temps and increased stability, its really priceless. Hope something ive said makes some sence.

thanks. i can only get an fop32 or fop38 from where I am. i'm not just sure if either can fit in my case. i have a slotket and the golden orb is about 1cm away from my dimm slots (I use all 3 dimm slots). might sell them and get one sdram module.
OT: i can put one sdram module anywhere right? it doesn't have to be at dim0?

It was my understanding you could (ive never had to myself) but you say youve got 3? you could remove the 1st and check for sure but im fairly certain there should be no problems.

-OF

OpenFriday (May 10, 2001 09:13 p.m.):
It was my understanding you could (ive never had to myself) but you say youve got 3? you could remove the 1st and check for sure but im fairly certain there should be no problems.

-OF

damn! i didn't thought of that! thanks!

Also the alpha pep66 sucks from the side so you don't have to worry about the fan getting in the way of dim slots. That will give you a bit more room.

Back