• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice On Barton 2500+!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have antec smartblue 350w, reason i bought biostar was my old mobo broke and i needed one in a jiffy , so i went local and got biostar, i figured it had nforce 2 ultra chipset so it was good, boy was i wrong, i also have thermaltake volcano 11+ heatsink and fan, that was another bad choice, i get same temps with stock cooler:mad: , i think they got those NF7's on new egg for like 70 buks! im kinda not wanting to buy anything major right now with pci-x and amd 64's about to take over.

mine is hott, about 50 idle and 60-65 underload, but im in sweatbox florida:(

hmm... i guess it's lil too hot but that's within normal temp range if this amd guys right. have you reseated your heatsink/f? i'm asking this because my biostar is pretty badly designed that if you use large sink it will almost catches 2 condensors! also my cdaudio cable is right under my radeon and sysfan is right at the bottom.everything placed all over the place!

i called amd and asked them about the temps and they said thats fine and dont start worrying till its get to about 70 idle. I applied artic silver 3 and i dont think it really did anything , its just my rooms temps are to high to run a cool cpu also i have big 21 inch monitor adding to the heat in the room;) , cooling my 9800 pro has became my new hobbie!

also my p.o.s biostar has same problems, stuff all around the heatsink, volcano barley fit on there, also i have small case so powersupply is right on top of cpu

hey that's cool.so you have radeon too huh? 9800pro, wow, so you must have pretty decent pc out there. i wish i could say hey i have 9800xt but sadly mine's cheapo 9600se. non of my components beat yours which really starting to **** me off:D anyway...have a nice tweaking with radeon. mine's under o/c and running at 400/500 with ugly vga silencer by arctic cooling. in florida radeon 9800pro must be hot as hell!(i can swap mine if you want....) what's your cooling gear for it?
so youre stuffing all these hot components in small case? maybe that is another reason why your cpu running little hot. you should maybe consider getting a bigger case(as they are really cheap nowadays) and maybe it will help your cpu running cooler and your gear simply deserve it!
lastly...no comment for 21inch monitor:D

yea i got the monitor used in the newspaper, its a sony e520 real nice and dam near brand new! on my 9800 pro i flashed the bios to XT then mounted a old athlon cpu cooler and fan on the card very carefully, not really sure if it is helping since i have yet to find a program that tells u the gpu temp. But im sure compared to the old little heatsink that was on there its gotta be better, i just got this card like 2 weeks ago , i traded in my 9600xt. I thought the 9600 xt was a real good card, about the same performance at lower resolutions as the 9800 pro but higher resolutions is where it starts to choke, thats where 9800 pro kicks in, i mainley want real high resolution because of my large monitor. I got the card at around 450/375 now and its purring away. I still cant get more than a 16700 in 3dmark but i guess thats decent, i was thinking about getting a new case, there are so many to choose from http://ateck.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453055965 thats a link to the case i got now, it was a steal at 35 buks, comes with aroung 5 fans and all of them have crazie lights on them, but didnt realize inside was gonna be so cramped till i got it, everytime u wanna take the cpu out u gotta take out the power supply, my friend has a big antec (old alienware style) and he has room to grow. U should get 21 inch monitor, its the best upgrade i ever bought, words cant explain the first time u play a game, i went from 17 to 21 and its a difference, i will never go back to anything smaller. how do u put a picture in this forum, i tried to cut and paste but it wint work?

hmm..the case size seems ok to me... actually i've just measured mine...and is little smaller! (maybe it's your hands that are big)about monitor, yeah, 21inch must be big and nice you know it's just that i'm so jealous about it:D i'm still using really crappy looking 17inch panasonic i got it like 5years ago but still working. but it looks bit wierd with new pc so probably i'm buying monitor next. any recommendation? no i've never heard about monitoring radeon temp. do they ahve that sort of sensor built-in or you have to put it in by yourself?it must be nice and handy to know temp on radeon chip but i think it'll make me worry even more so glad that i haven't:)
btw, after 5hours still priming without error but my pc's getting hot. about 55c. must be like 65c in florida.

i wouldnt get anything but a sony monitor or certain dell monitors are trinitron, but brand new sony monitors are soo much money, i think mine brand new was around 700 buks, i paid 200 used in the paper for damm near new one(same exact model), im in tampa so there are so many people selling real good monitors that they prob get at auctions or wherever from big corporations. I just bumped my fsb up a little to about 195 and its running great, played unrealtournament 2004 for 2 hours straight!!! i wanna get the coolermaster wave case, its the nicest case ive seen in a while, all aluminum so case will be a little cooler http://www.circotech.com/comacowama.html its alot of money but its worth it for coolermaster quality. Yea i feel for ya with the 17 incher, when i set out to buy a monitor i was goin for a 19' but came home with a 21:D . When u get a chance snatch one up just make sure u get a sony or anything that has the trinitron logo in the top left corner, its totally different screen design that totally rocks for gaming !!

whoa! sweet case...looks cool and spacious...but maybe it's too cool to house biostar mobo in:D get your self better mobo first. thx, so sony monitor is good huh? i'll think about getting one. i hope i can found one in good condition at ebay or something like that although i've never used net auction before. is it good idea to buy one from auction? i play ut2k4 too. i don't have full version yet but playing demo online is real fun (especially ons torran) and i just can't stop playing it. i can even say i've built this new pc just for this game(and bit of overclocking) because my previous pc with duron and geforcemx didn't handle it so well and i just found myself go out there to have been mega-killed which has really frustrated me over past few months:D so how's the full version like? is it as good as demo? i'm especially hooked by onslaught map which i think is real cooool. yeah, i know you go out with something in mind but always comeback with more expensive stuff. that always happen to me too it's nature of life:D

yea ut2k4 is the ****, theres so many maps to play compared to the last one, i play onslaught all the time , but i didnt pay for game so its hard to get on a server to play sometimes, yea look on the paper for a monitor first, i always see all kinds of good parts in the paper mostly monitors around here, i dono maybe theres some kind of underground monitor smuggling goin on around here? Yea a year 1/2 ago i was on a 200mhz pentium pro dell trying to play hardcore games , ive came a long way since then! Then i had P.O.S emachines for like 6 months with a 433 celeron, then finally got my first of many athlons. But i will tell u one thing, i tryed to squeez every bit of performanc out of those garbage boxes, and i kinda miss doin that, now everything works so well that it gets boring:rolleyes: Biostar mobo is not to bad i read really good reviews about them all the timem there just not good on hte overclocking tip, even though they advertise them as overclocking boards, but u get what u pay for, in my case i paid 59 buks! yea go with sony, i am a firm believer in trintron technology, its just the best, there are other monitors out there like viewsonic and nec that make good crt's but nothin to the quality that a sony can make. The real deals are the Dell monitors , there all over ebay, they make trintron monitors that are marked as dell on the front usually people will stress that its a trinitron , actually they are made by sony just marked as dell, but my friend got a dell 19' and its awesome and he payed 149, just make sure u get right one.

thx big bro, yeah i agree! you know it's really frustrating to have serious problems like no boot up or psu suddenly pops at midnight(which happened to me twice) but all small minor problems which you are likly to solve by yourself are kind of welcome. i started buiding pc with tx chipset and pentium 233mmx but it was much harder those days to gather right infomation and collect necessary drivers especially when you have no spare pc. but i was kinda enjoying that too. because pc used to be slow compared to todays standard, small changes you made sometimes boosted your performance quite dramatically and maybe I just can't forget that all excitements. today building pc takes no more than an hour and it's quite fast from the begining without much tweaking. booring:p
about monitor i think i'll go for secondhand hansol 19inch which my friend has and wants to sell. it's not that old and from what i saw image was very clear compared to panaspnic and i kind of liked it. he said he'll be buying 21inch very soon so i think he needs quick money and will be selling it to me at very good price:p nice weekend!

i would grab it up if hes gonna give u a deal! been cleaning up the wiring up in my case all day long looks sweet, my friends gonna come over with the digi later so ill post the pix

i decided to give a go at 1.85v.my barton is really stubborn and i 'm really struggling to get extra mhz out of it.how's your's running mate?today in London my room temperature is quite cool but my case OMG! inside it must be like in Florida:D need to get proper cooling gear before my cpu dies.

yea 1.85 is def gonna raise some temps, mine is purring like a kitten im jsut working on some ways to cool my radeon better, get some fans and mount them in ur case!!! What speed are u at now?

it's running at 2075ish now with 12.5x multi...but I don't think it can go any higher than this. maybe little higher with more voltage?...but at the moment not planning to do so. but maybe yes tommorrow:p anyway pretty much stuck.

Back