• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the heck is ATI doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SolidxSnake said:
I was always under the impression that the 6800Ultra > X850XT...
where did you get that impression? 6800U is only a tad faster than the GT, x850xt leaves both of them behind..... i've had all 3 cards

I really dont think that they're dominating the low to mid-range market. Its just that the majority of the people on these boards recommend the nVidia cards because we already know what they can do and what they're capable of and because of that we automatically think that the people buy them. People usually buy cards then come to these boards to see what can be done then realize that they made the wrong choice. Kind of like myself by getting a x800PRO instead of a 6800gt.

I gota say I love ATI and it has some to do with them being Canadian. It also has alot to do with the fact that all the Nvidia I have had produce WAY too much heat, an dall of the ones I have had so far died.

bobmanfoo said:
where did you get that impression? 6800U is only a tad faster than the GT, x850xt leaves both of them behind..... i've had all 3 cards

Agreed, the benchies tell it all. Even though the x850xt isnt the fastest card right now, its one amazing card, it left all of them in the dust apart from SLI, but nvidia still had its lead in Chronicles of Riddick, and that game is FREAKING KILLER on your entire system, which is why I stand by my point I made back when the x800/6800 war first broke out, nvidia is better in the new pixel shader enhanced games, like COR:Butcher bay. I kinda wish I couldve tried the x850 out, hmm.

It just surprises me that some people say their 16 pip card is "crap" because a 24 pip card beats it. You cant expect a 16 pip. card to perform like a 24 pip. card either. Just wait till ati releases the R500 line then it's end of the 7800 parade...

Dan

Dan0512 said:
It just surprises me that some people say their 16 pip card is "crap" because a 24 pip card beats it. You cant expect a 16 pip. card to perform like a 24 pip. card either. Just wait till ati releases the R500 line then it's end of the 7800 parade...

Dan
if you are referring to me i was being sarcastic :) the 7800GTX benches are just a little higher than mine

I read THIS yesterday and I thought it was interesting. Specifically this:

The first R520 silicon worked at high speeds but only few chips worked, we hear. Wafers are expensive and each costs roughly $3000 and if only 20 chips work from your wafer that will make a production costs of that chip enormously big. You need a better number to make more money. We heard those numbers a while back and we believe that this is how much Nvidia or ATI has to pay for each wafer.

Boils down to $150 per chip, then along in the article it shows how Nvidia has a 2.5 month lead on ATI, now before any of you start calling me an Nvidiot, read my SIG because I prefer ATI over Nvidia, but the bottom line is I get the best card available depending on who has the better price when I'm ready to buy. I will never spend $499 or more on any video card.

*sigh* man i hope it doesn't take too long for the r520 to be available for reasonable prices, i might have to go back to the Dark side, you wouldthink that ati would've learned from what happened during last generation's release

Silversinksam said:
..... I will never spend $499 or more on any video card.
with the way the economy is going and the inflation rates, and mainly the the pc addiction.... can we quote you on that? :)

bobmanfoo said:
*sigh* man i hope it doesn't take too long for the r520 to be available for reasonable prices, i might have to go back to the Dark side, you wouldthink that ati would've learned from what happened during last generation's release

I feel the same way - at least we'll be VERY competitve with the X850CF against the 7800GTX

2.5 months with the 7800 out will give NV quite a while to work on their die shrink and give them another live same day launch. People appear to be very pleased with it and ati is going to have to live up to that as well. Man do I hope paper launches are things of the past. Speaking of, what is the time fram on the ATI cross fire thingy, or is that out yet. I have been kind of wrapped up in audiophile stuff for a while.

SolidxSnake said:
I'm takin a wild guess here, but I say the 7800GTX (not the Ultra, mind you) will dominate the r520 at the start. I'm predicting that the r520 core will have some sort of fab defect from dropping the process to 90nm (i think thats what they dropped to). Then they will have to make a r570 (hey, just add 50 to the number, like they did with the x800 :p) to get back in the game. Just like the 6800/x800 battle. ATi made the X850 and got back in the game.

Since there has been no real testing of the R520 core, only some spectimation(32pipes, 90nm, 600+ mghz core, ect, ect) how can you say that the 7800GTX will dominate the R520? Is your predictions based on anything at all thats factual?

Also the X800 XT did very well against the 6800 Ultra if I remember right, when AA and AF was turned on it was even more competitive, ATI released a X850 series to make more money. Some people even if they have a X800 XT PE will buy a X850 XT PE. The refresh was only around 10% different at most. The X800 XT and X850 XT are not that different. If I a remember correctly isnt the only difference basically the core/ram speeds? :rolleyes:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2299&p=6

If you look at the huge performance difference between an X800 XT and an X850 XT its less than 5% different in Far Cry. If you look at when they turn on AA and AF the 6800 Ultra falls behind the X800 XT. The X800 XT has a nice sized lead in any of the Half Life 2 benchmarks. The 6800 Ultra hands ATI a huge beating in Doom III. I guess I just dont get anything you said. I mean if your not going to base your posts off of factual information then reconsider posting.

Falcon-K said:
Since there has been no real testing of the R520 core, only some spectimation(32pipes, 90nm, 600+ mghz core, ect, ect) how can you say that the 7800GTX will dominate the R520? Is your predictions based on anything at all thats factual?

Also the X800 XT did very well against the 6800 Ultra if I remember right, when AA and AF was turned on it was even more competitive, ATI released a X850 series to make more money. Some people even if they have a X800 XT PE will buy a X850 XT PE. The refresh was only around 10% different at most. The X800 XT and X850 XT are not that different. If I a remember correctly isnt the only difference basically the core/ram speeds? :rolleyes:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2299&p=6

If you look at the huge performance difference between an X800 XT and an X850 XT its less than 5% different in Far Cry. If you look at when they turn on AA and AF the 6800 Ultra falls behind the X800 XT. The X800 XT has a nice sized lead in any of the Half Life 2 benchmarks. The 6800 Ultra hands ATI a huge beating in Doom III. I guess I just dont get anything you said. I mean if your not going to base your posts off of factual information then reconsider posting.

I heard that ATi made the X850 series cause the X800 wasn't competing well. Well, guess I was wrong, huh?

But I still stand by my statement:

ATi will have problems with the change to 90nm dies. It already seems true if you were to read what SSS posted:

The first R520 silicon worked at high speeds but only few chips worked, we hear. Wafers are expensive and each costs roughly $3000 and if only 20 chips work from your wafer that will make a production costs of that chip enormously big. You need a better number to make more money. We heard those numbers a while back and we believe that this is how much Nvidia or ATI has to pay for each wafer.

'Only a few chips worked,' says the article. If that is true, then I see the 7800GTX passing by the r520 in a price/performance ratio, because if ATi stands by its release date, they will have to raise prices (Right?).

And also, if you look at the BF:V and Wolfenstein: ET benchies, you will see that the 6800U is on top, and that the 6800GT beats the X850XT. And at higher resolutions. And which one is cheaper, the X850XTPE? Or the 6800U? I've seen the 6800U go for some nice prices. But I'm not really ATi oriented, so please list prices for the X850XTPE (I don't know any :D)

I think ATI has already done 3 tape outs on the 520 and I am still in doubt as to wether or not they are going to fall back to less pipes for better yeilds rather than lose any more time with delays. NV did the smart thing and sucked up the smaller profits on a bigger die and gave themselves lots of time to do their shrink and I think this is pressing ATI to scramble the 520 faster than they would like regardless of the current delay. Fact is if the tape out was complete and all, dell would have them already. At least thats my thoughts. I could be dead *** wrong as usual. Like I always say, unless your actually there, its all speculation and anyone could be right.

but even the success is going to be whatever their idea of acceptable rejects is, those being the pro or xl version. My thought are that Dell would have these in their grubby money stained fingers if they were running them. I believe the tape out is done, but yeilds are not what they had hoped and they are going to wind up with a 24 pipe card, and a 32 as a PE or some such stupidity. Again, just my ignorant thoughts. Pay no serious attention to them or anything the INQ says for that matter.

Back