• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pairing with Conroe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Alright I plan on buying conroe upon it's release but I'm trying to decide what other components I should purchase with it. I only need ram gpu and mobo.

I plan on spending no more than $1400(including processor) and I have my water cooling system already installed in my case, I have a storm and a maze 4 block.

With that said I want to get best overclock possible with that amount of money, and I don't plan on holding off for the g80 because I want to put this together before I get back to college, thats why I was thinking of going with an evga card and upgrading around xmas. However, I hear people discourage nvidia chipsets with intel. Also mobo information is scarce because they're new and still being released this month, so if anyone has some insight I'd be extremely appreciative.

Thanks,
Mike

Any 965X based motherboard will support Conroe chips.
As for GPU, I'm assuming you will be doing some heavy gaming or not? If so, what resolution will you be playing your games at? Do you take advantage of AA and/or AF?

Yes I read through the first post where it lists the motherboards that are released or soon to be released, and I read xtremesystems forums too and its hard to pinpoint any solid information on what is the board to get, all people talk about is the bad axe board. I learned from this forum that people don't recommend nvidia chipsets paired with intel. This leaves me at a loss because when I planned on building my first rig this summer I was going with an opteron 165 and possibly a 7900gtx or gt, but I decided to wait for conroe after seeing benches. I have to rework my build from the ground up, thats why I was asking if anyone could recommend the best pairing for $1400 that will allow for a good overclock.

I have been holding off myself here now for the Conroe. And I know what you mean about people here being more or less Pro Intel but at the same time Anti-Nvidia. But for the people like me who don't use the computer for gaming and happen to also run *nix, we all know that ATI is an awful pair when it comes to *nix support.

And my question here to keep on-topic is what kind of memory does it seem these Conroe happy boards are going to use ? Should I wait and shop for that to pair with it all or good idea to start looking now and watch the price drop after I buy the mobo and CPU ?

Yes I read through the first post where it lists the motherboards that are released or soon to be released, and I read xtremesystems forums too and its hard to pinpoint any solid information on what is the board to get, all people talk about is the bad axe board.

Since there are no boards out yet excpet the bad axe, no one can answer that question and you'll just have to wait like the rest of us.

That’s why I said if anyone had any insight a lot of people have the boards out for testing now, which can be seen at xtremesystems.. that’s why I was wondering if a definitive consensus has been reached on as of the board to purchase as of yet..

My guess is even though people are using boards now they are pre release samples so the actual results that could be expected might be significantly different than the current revisions. I think pretty much you have to wait until at least the end of this month to have any idea of what the best board for your setup is.

IMHO...Asus will be the one to beat again. This is just from past experience. They have a more solid history than any other manufacturer, definitely on the Intel side of things, and arguably even on AMD depending on your application.

I was reading up on the MSI board that coolarer is using on xtremesystems seems pretty impressive almost breaking the 10s barrior in supper pi with both cores enabled. 4.5ghz on air.. damn

Just watch for max stable FSB, I know I havnt come to any concludions just yet Asus's offerings havn't even been tested yet.

It would do a couple of unnamed folk here who happen to have a certain Intel-manufactured board well to watch very carefully for any condensation, and probably to go easy on the FSB except for short runs...

This is why I'm leaning to the Asus.

Dude over there at X claims he has the Asus P5B D and is gonna tell us the max FSB monday. So if these boards don't have high FSB ( 500 crossfingers :) ) which is crucial for entry level Conroe buyers, then we'll have to wait til Intel drops the highend chipsets?

There saying that the conroe isn't performing like they promiced.. its still doing good but some argue that AMD 2 will be better.. Guess I will have to wait.. lol and I'll prob have to go with the cheaper out of the 2. have there been any new board talked about for the conreo that will be comming out that I should look at?

Who are they?
Whatever motherboard that will hold highest stable FSB. You could pair it up with a 805D untill the cheap 8 mulit 800fsb conroe comes out later ;) and OC the snot out of them both :D

@ dawg

I bought this pair of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) for my Conroe. I wouldn't go lower than DDR2-800. ***But I'm having some beef with ZZF over this rebate now.*** Don't no how they OC, because I can't. Hehe! Freecableguy has some Ballistix in his badaxe board in this pic.

The boards: monday we will see the Asus P5B-deluxe and the FSB. I'm not paying over a $100 for a board that can't do high FSB.

@ SavageFuDD
"There saying that the conroe isn't performing like they promiced.. its still doing good but some argue that AMD 2will be better"

Who have you been talking to? Are you talking about AM2?

DFI needs a change of color scheme. If Wu man does make a decent board for this chip........... that will be revolutionary.

Back