• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Step-Up: What in the World's Going on Here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

So after sending in both my EVGA 7800GT cards on Monday, June 26th for their step-up (which arrived at EVGA on Wednesday, June 28th), they FINALLY got my step-up cards back to me today. I had stepped up to 2 x 7900GTs.

Now, I was a little annoyed at it taking over two weeks to get the new cards to me after the day they had received the ones I sent in, but imagine my suprise when I opened up both of my step-up boxes to find this.

Where to begin? Let's start from the top:

1) What about all the cables that normally come with cards? When I sent in my retail card with all the included accessories (which the step-up requirements page specifically listed as needing to be including in the package), I expected to get BACK a retail card with all the same cables. I paid MSRP for a retail card step-up because I NEED the extras that come with a retail card - if I had wanted an OEM card, I would have bought one and not stepped up my current retail card.

2) Is that a blown capacitor I see on the card? I do believe it is. Take a look at that close-up. Only one of the two cards came like this, but come on! Where's the quality control?!

3) That's weird ... the stickers on the back say EVGA 7900GT. However, the coolers on the front say "6200" on it, and this card has a DVI and VGA port instead of Dual DVI. And the ram's in the wrong place. And there's a little sticker marked "128MB" on the PCB.

WTF?! I had to nearly 3 weeks start to finish for a step-up only to have my 7800GT's replaced by 6200's?!?! 6200's that one of which is obviously defective?

Somebody really dropped the ball here. I'm hoping EVGA is willing to cross-ship the replacements, because this is just about absurd. I just got off the phone with them, and they asked me to send them some pictures to verify all of what I just told you. Obviously not a problem. They also said that when they ship out step-up replacements, they are in full retail packaging ... I got a plastic blister packed card and that was it. So he was a little befuddled by that, too.

Don't get me wrong - I like EVGA and love the concept of the step-up program. I am just completely bewildered by how someone can make SO MANY mistakes on a single step-up! Sticking a 7900GT part number sticker onto a 6200 ... which has a blown capacitor ... which is then mailed without any accessories. Twice (well, just one with the blown capacitor issue, but you get the point).

Boggles my mind.

wow, i can't imagine how ****ed you were to see that. that is just retarded. there is no excuse for that. let us know wat happens!!

I sent out for an RMA about 3 weeks ago, faxed them the cross shipping verifacation page 2 1/2 weeks ago then nothing, no e-mails, no letters, not updates, no card.

BTW om the eVGA webpage it says the RMA is still ACTIVE! wtf?

And that really sucks, why were 7900GT stickers on the back? That's messed up...

EDIT: Oh yeah, send a "well drafted" email with lotsa pictures to them, they might respond?

Arca, i'm pretty sure you know whats going on with the new cards. so that could be why they halted all the sc cards for a bit. only bf2 works for me, well kinda works, but i'd rather wait a bit then get another screwed up card again.

perl, did you make a post on the evga forums? iw as trying to find a similar post there to see if you made one but i didn't find anything. gl bro!

LOL.. that is the funny :p

As far as i know, eVGA is slammed with RMA'ing cards there were defective from the start ( all 7900 series and some 7800 cards). So they have a lot of work to do in the next month.

Seems to me they got some intern working for them and he screwed things up.

As far as i know, people are extremly happy with customer support and RMA at eVGA. Just like any company, there are rare occasions and incidents like yours, simply because some chimp screwed things up, cause he was out all night till 7am in the morning at the rave club, jumping around from munching too manny pills.

No, I didn't post on any forums other than this (well, not any that are computer hardware related ... I whined about it to some gaming buddies :D).

I already sent them an email. I called up and talked to Alex, and he talked to his supervisor and asked me to send them pictures of what I received. He sent me an email so I could just reply to it, which I did.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed to hear about all the issues they're having ... I kind of wish I had just sold my 7800GT's and bought some other brand. But their support has been kind and genuinely concerned with helping, even if the service has been a bit slow. I just don't see how someone screws up THAT bad. I mean, I suppose somebody could have stuck the wrong stickers on and then had people who have no idea about what cards are what actually do all the packaging ... but still, the quality control leaves a lot to be desired. Like I already mentioned above, there were a LOT of things amiss with the shipment I got - from the way it was packed to the card looking damaged to it just flat out being the wrong card.

I was just getting plain old vanilla 7900GTs with the hopes of volt modding them and getting some serious speed back from them. But with all these new problems I'm not as hopeful as I once was. My buddy just got his 7900GT KO Superclocked in as a step-up from his 7800GT, and it makes people look like sailboats in Dark Age of Camelot, even with the card underclocked to stock 7900GT speeds.

Pretty bummed about all this. Especially since I was playing a CS:S Deagle tournament with a bunch of folks and can't play our third round until I get some video cards. Grrrr!

haha that cracks me up, but imo you're being a bit naiive, i wouldnt be suprised if someone took off with both of the cards...

I sent them a follow-up email asking if it would be possible to send me a 7950 GX2 instead of two 7900GT's, since there's only a penny's difference in price. We'll see what they say. Not sure what I think about the 7950 GX2 yet, but figure it would be fun to mess with if they'd allow me to change. :)

twoeyes said:
haha that cracks me up, but imo you're being a bit naiive, i wouldnt be suprised if someone took off with both of the cards...

What you just said makes pretty much no sense given the nature of the way the cards were received, the serial and product number stickers that were placed on them (I personally don't have a lot of extra EVGA serial tags lying around, do you?), the packaging - though incorrect, it was still in sealed EVGA boxes (but should have been retail packages) - and the fact that to swipe the cards it would have had to be someone from a) EVGA, which would be stupid, or b) UPS, which would be stupid (having worked for UPS and knowing the ramifications, handlers DON'T open packages ... especially insured ones).

The package was shipped with not only in-person signature release required, but a photo ID required for release, as well. I had the packages held at the UPS hub so I could pick them up after work since I wouldn't be home to sign for them ... they were never even left on a doorstep to be swiped, switched, etc.

Naivete is one thing ... but this hardly warrants conspiracy theories, either. A mix-up at EVGA is by far and likely the most obvious cause.

wow thats something else, judging from the inventory control sticker you probally got 2 refurb cards that havent been refurbed yet. thats funny, but i would be horked off.

if you were nearer by i would let you borrow the 6800 i got from a friend so you could atleast use your computer but you'd be looking through millions of teeny dots to ready any thing

PerlAddict said:
What you just said makes pretty much no sense given the nature of the way the cards were received, the serial and product number stickers that were placed on them (I personally don't have a lot of extra EVGA serial tags lying around, do you?), the packaging - though incorrect, it was still in sealed EVGA boxes (but should have been retail packages) - and the fact that to swipe the cards it would have had to be someone from a) EVGA, which would be stupid, or b) UPS, which would be stupid (having worked for UPS and knowing the ramifications, handlers DON'T open packages ... especially insured ones).

The package was shipped with not only in-person signature release required, but a photo ID required for release, as well. I had the packages held at the UPS hub so I could pick them up after work since I wouldn't be home to sign for them ... they were never even left on a doorstep to be swiped, switched, etc.

Naivete is one thing ... but this hardly warrants conspiracy theories, either. A mix-up at EVGA is by far and likely the most obvious cause.

no no i was saying the poor immigrant being paid $6.75 per hour packaging the cards might have realized they were worth their weight in gold (so he performs the old switcharoo with the tags :p), but it was a joke anyway, i didnt mean calling you naiive as an insult or to offend you :bang head

It's okay, twoeyes. Between it being late last night, looking at two 6200 video cards instead of two 7900GT's, and having the gear on my r/c airplane's prop shaft overheat and fall off for the third day in a row leaving me bored inside AND outside ... I probably wasn't wearing my best "can take a joke hat." I've got it on now, though. :D

Some kid's probably building a GI Joe fort out of my cards by now, with my luck. lol.

PerlAddict said:
It's okay, twoeyes. Between it being late last night, looking at two 6200 video cards instead of two 7900GT's, and having the gear on my r/c airplane's prop shaft overheat and fall off for the third day in a row leaving me bored inside AND outside ... I probably wasn't wearing my best "can take a joke hat." I've got it on now, though. :D

Some kid's probably building a GI Joe fort out of my cards by now, with my luck. lol.

*group hug* its ok man, it will all work out. Tell them you've been posting on forums and they're in for loosing some of the enthusiest market if they dont take care of you.:mad:

any updates yet perl? if not i suggest posting on the evga forums. that would start making them look bad and would probably make them get off their @ss3s and do something about it. i have a EFFed 7900gt ko sc, but i can at least play bf2. you can't do anything. 6200 in my eyes probably won't even load windows or the bios. (never had anything lower than a 9700pro) Keep calling and bugging. keep posting an getting your voice heard. i want my 7900 fixed. can't take it!!! :mad:

Back