• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommend a distro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

Hey all....I'm pretty n00b when it comes to Linux...but I want to dual boot with a distro. I have had FBSD running before but found that I could never install any applications...it was just way too complicated to get anything installed that wasn't a package. I want to try another OS after spending some time away from a GNU OS. I hear they make some pretty user friendly packages now....I heard Gentoo is good...I tried it real quick on a old work comuter...the install failed...but it was an old Dell...and I didn't dig into why...possibly just strange hardware like the video.....anyway....suggestions please.

Captain Newbie said:
I don't know how anyone could find either KDE or Gnome superior to the other; they're both fairly intuitive, but more power to those who like one over the other.

Some of my friends like one or the other as they are easier to figure out for them. KDE is fairly central, where GNOME is fairly laid out. I like both but have 15 CDs of Kubuntu as I like it better, i think.

If you give Ubuntu a try, theres an easy program that can get your system up and running with codecs, java, flash, etc fairly easy.

Automatix is easy to install (the instructions are right on the website) and if you have trouble understanding them, thats what we are here for :)

Evnas said:
If you give Ubuntu a try, theres an easy program that can get your system up and running with codecs, java, flash, etc fairly easy.

Automatix is easy to install (the instructions are right on the website) and if you have trouble understanding them, thats what we are here for :)

I have to agree with your entire statement!! I also have tried a couple versions of linux and found Ubuntu about the easiest of them all!!

im personally a fan of ubuntu as are a lot of people, not only is its package memagement first class but the documentation and support for this distro is second to none

My recommendation is also Ubuntu. The package management is as easy as I've found in any distro I've tried. Between the documentation, thier forums, and the people here that use it, getting help is no problem. If you decide to want to change to KUbuntu (which uses kde as apposed to gnome desktop) its as easy as installing the kubuntu desktop package in synaptic. As a relative linux n00b myself, I have to say I like the fact Ubuntu gives me a vary useable system, while still having the freedom to learn to do things the "hard" way when I want to.

XxNightfirexX said:
Between the documentation, thier forums, and the people here that use it, getting help is no problem.

Lets not forget that if all else fails...you can actually CALL them for support. Something I've only seen in retail versions of Linux before (like SuSE or Red Hat Enterprise)

ubuntu ftw!! no other distro came even close to recognizing my hardware half as good as ubuntu did. i use kubuntu though because i personally like kde better than gnome (gnome simplifies things far too much imo). its not as polished supposedly but it seems to be working fine for me (knock on wood).

Back