• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.2 vs PD 820?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-e6.Vector150-

I have a P4 3.2 with a 2meg L2 and i bought a PD 820 new in the box cheap from a freind which one would work best for gaming the one i have(P4 3.2) or the PD 820 the video card a have now is a 8800GTS and i was told that the duel core would whip it in gaming i need some info on this please cause i dont want to mess my fps up if the 820 is weaker for gaming

Likely, it won't help that much. You probably will see a noticeable increase. However, you would notice a bigger increase going from a P4 to a Core2Duo. Although, if you got the Pentium D for cheap, then yeah I guess it was worth it. :)

Welcome to the forums, BTW :)

Oh, just read some reviews on Newegg. I personally have never had a Pentium D, but the reviews on Newegg for your processor make it sound pretty good. One guy said it blew away a P4 2.8ghz. Going from a P4 3.2ghz to a PD 2.8ghz should be a nice increase then :) The dual cores will shock you :D

thank you

thank you for the welcome and the info i,m going to put the PD in asap and test it out and i will go look at neweggs forums

do NOT ever rely on newegg reviews. they are uninformed. good for a laugh sometimes, but not trustworthy.

the 820 runs at 2.8ghz, your current p4 at 3.2ghz. you are giving up 400mhz in clockspeed, but gaining an extra core. IF the games you play are optimised for dual core (and there are few that are), you MAY see a bit of an increase, but i really doubt it. 400mhz is quite a lot to make up. you can OC the 820 to 3.2ghz pretty easily however. personally, i wouldn't have bought that cpu, i would have saved up for a real upgrade.

can you put your complete system specs in your sig, so we all know what you are working with?

and welcome to the forums. :)

i play AA and SWG

i play americas army,SWG and G.R.A.W does these games use both cores that you know of? i again thank you both for the helpful replys

None of those games will take advantage of a dual core. A faster single core will be better than a slower dual core in all three cases.

Your P4 3.2 has hyperthreading which makes as much difference in multitasking.
The 820 might be better in a game that does use both cores, but not by much since you are losing some MHz. Overclock the 820 to 3.2 and you will have a better processor then the P4.

I have a feeling the 8800GTS will be bottlenecked by either CPU. You need a Core 2 Intel or a dual core AMD to get the full benefit from that card.

Last edited:
ty

i know that both cpu's will bottleneck me i was trying for the one that will do it less my wife went to newegg and bougth all my stuff but the cpu which i already had im going with a bfg 680i and a c2d ee is about 3 to 4 months im just trying to get the most out of what i have for now i have my p4 oc'ed to 3.91 as of now not sure how high i can get the PD to i asked here before i tore it down to switch them out so i did not waste time i was going to then i read these posts not sure what to do lol feel like im in a rock and a hard spot :). even tho im bottlenecked my graphics look so sweet with this card i have i had a 1300pro 256 now i have this gts 640 lol just need a cpu that will open it up cant wait oh well i can still sell which ever one i dont use and make a few extra$$ out of it. my freind sold it to me for 20$ just to get it out of his house some time i think he has more computer parts than newegg lolj/k

If I were you I would drop the 820 into your rig and give it a real workout. Find out what it can do. Then keep the better chip and sell the other.

Nice rig coming with the C2E, you should really get the full monty from the 8800 GTS.

skimmed the thread.

I largely agree with last post but I also think that the whole "single core is better for gaming" isn't really as warranted as it once was. Anyone here tried Supreme Commander yet? It's likely a game that the OP will play sometime soon considering the DX10 goodness of that 8800GTS. You WILL see a difference between a dualie and a single in a game like that as Sup Com is notorious for choking single cores and running well on dualies.

-e6.Vector150- said:
i know that both cpu's will bottleneck me i was trying for the one that will do it less my wife went to newegg and bougth all my stuff but the cpu which i already had im going with a bfg 680i and a c2d ee is about 3 to 4 months im just trying to get the most out of what i have for now i have my p4 oc'ed to 3.91 as of now not sure how high i can get the PD to i asked here before i tore it down to switch them out so i did not waste time i was going to then i read these posts not sure what to do lol feel like im in a rock and a hard spot :). even tho im bottlenecked my graphics look so sweet with this card i have i had a 1300pro 256 now i have this gts 640 lol just need a cpu that will open it up cant wait oh well i can still sell which ever one i dont use and make a few extra$$ out of it. my freind sold it to me for 20$ just to get it out of his house some time i think he has more computer parts than newegg lolj/k

Just one comment. Please use more periods in your posts. Your posts are still readible without them, but its much easier on the eyes for others.

As for the CPUs, I would test the P4 in games, and then put in PD and test that. That way you will get reliable data that is based on your computer. It will take a few hours of your time though.
\

Back