• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm looking to replace the heatsink with a back-firing one so that the heat is ejected out of the case better. Suggestions?

It needs to fit an AM2 socket
It needs to push air towards the back of the case
It needs to be able to cool a quad running at or near stock speeds
The cheaper the better

If my spare TRUE fit, I'd drop that in there. The case is too large :(

Thinking something like this but I'll have to measure to see if it fits.

EDIT: Possibly even this, never seen it before.

Last edited:
Heres a SPCR on the Scythe Katana 3. They are saying it can cool up to a i7 (@~130w TDP) but its quite loud doing so. 65w is what there saying it a good range for this cooler.

Not seen or heard of the otherone so i cant pass comment.

Heres a SPCR on the Scythe Katana 3. They are saying it can cool up to a i7 (@~130w TDP) but its quite loud doing so. 65w is what there saying it a good range for this cooler.

Not seen or heard of the otherone so i cant pass comment.
Let me check the review, thank you. My only concern is that since the intake is aimed up, that the top panel may restrict airflow.

I'm also not concerned about noise, it is pretty loud already and I'll probably swap the fans later if I feel I want more airflow.

Just ordered:

Slim SATA connector:
My DVD drive requires a converter to use it. Didn't know this until I got it...

8gb G.Skill DDR2:
Going to run VM's to do my video processing. Less load on my main system or to speed it up overall

Cooler Master Hyper N 520:
After a ton of research, I've decided on this cooler. I didn't like the other coolers that were suggested. Either I didn't like the design, the fan wasn't replaceable or the intake would be right up against the top of the case. This has replaceable fans (with screws) and will eject air directly out the back of the case.

Delta EFB0912HHE 92mm fans:
Replacement fans for the heatsink above

I think you made a good choice on the HSF. Did you order two of the deltas for it?

Le sigh. Wish I could break down and pick myself up a server off craigslist. I keep seeing rack mounted servers as well as standalone servers for sale between 100 and like 500 dollars. Granted, I probably dont need anything more than to finish building a better htpc. The pentium d 820 grumperfish is sending me should get that project kick started.

edit: nothing like a year and 8 months to get 50 posts. yay for 2 stars!

Yeah, I ran out of slots :(

EDIT: Also, Newegg lost my order? It went completely through and it is gone. No trace at all and they didn't charge my Paypal account. I know FOR SURE it went through.

Yeah, I ran out of slots :(

EDIT: Also, Newegg lost my order? It went completely through and it is gone. No trace at all and they didn't charge my Paypal account. I know FOR SURE it went through.

ummm i think since you have places so many orders with them, that they wont sell u any more :), they are tired of u :p jk

ummm i think since you have places so many orders with them, that they wont sell u any more :), they are tired of u :p jk
I wouldn't doubt that one bit. I thought it was funny though, I'm working tech support now and had a tech support window open for Newegg!

Hmm, so I'm looking to get rid of my Smoothwall. It is coming to the point where I don't exactly trust the hardware in the system. It is sporting an old Slot 1 Pentium 2 and 512mb (!) of RAM.

I'd like to move to a rackmount router/firewall and it was suggested I look at Cisco routers. The only thing I know is they make amazing professional routers; but beyond that, I have little to no information. It was suggested that I look at a Cisco 2621XM. Seems to be everything I'm looking for and at a decent price (~$175).

I'd like to have it be:
Rackmountable
Cheap (compared to the $1k units you see elsewhere)
Gigabit network is a plus, but it isn't needed
Good quality, I'd like to have it for years

Hmm, so I'm looking to get rid of my Smoothwall. It is coming to the point where I don't exactly trust the hardware in the system. It is sporting an old Slot 1 Pentium 2 and 512mb (!) of RAM.

I'd like to move to a rackmount router/firewall and it was suggested I look at Cisco routers. The only thing I know is they make amazing professional routers; but beyond that, I have little to no information. It was suggested that I look at a Cisco 2621XM. Seems to be everything I'm looking for and at a decent price (~$175).

I'd like to have it be:
Rackmountable
Cheap (compared to the $1k units you see elsewhere)
Gigabit network is a plus, but it isn't needed
Good quality, I'd like to have it for years

Cisco 2621XM will support about 5-8mb of connection speed.. i will suggest an 800 series. But i reallly recommend getting an 1812 :)

Back