• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I need a new PSU with this new build of mine..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbiker321

Just recently upgraded my rig to...

• Asus P8P67 Deluxe
  • Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
  • 8gb DDR3-1600 G.Skill
  • Two HIS Radeon HD 6850's @ 820/1100
  • Three 7200rpm HDD's
  • One Cosair c300 SSD sata III
  • 8 fans, DVD burner, Asus STX soundcard (requires 4 pin molex power)

Now yesterday I had just one HD 6850 in and system was stable as can be. After dropping in the second today I can play Left 4 Dead 2 for a few min then the computers shuts off and reboots.
Could this be my power supply? Its a 650w Xclio

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189008

What do you guys think? Any recommendations? (Definitely has to be modular, extra cables make me mad!)

...ugh, just looked at my PSU 12v amps are 18A according to Newegg...don't think thats enough to run Crossfire HD 6850's

Last edited:
i think if you're oc'ing the processor and both GPU's then yeah.. you want to update that PSU before you have a major issue or spike. I would go with a 750 minimum, 850 to have some spare room.

What kind of price range are you comfortable with?

corsair 850HX modular 160 after rebate or 170 w/o.
Antec CP-850 modular 120
Antec True power quatro modular 160
Kingwin Lazer Gold modular 155
Thermaltake toughpower modular 170
XFX Black edition modular 110 after rebate or 150 w/o
(just looking now.. thats a good deal!)

You can check out the link in my sig to our power supply list (where i got most of these from) if you want to research any of them!

Last edited:
Just recently upgraded my rig to...

• Asus P8P67 Deluxe
  • Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
  • 8gb DDR3-1600 G.Skill
  • Two HIS Radeon HD 6850's @ 820/1100
  • Three 7200rpm HDD's
  • One Cosair c300 SSD sata III
  • 8 fans, DVD burner, Asus STX soundcard (requires 4 pin molex power)

Now yesterday I had just one HD 6850 in and system was stable as can be. After dropping in the second today I can play Left 4 Dead 2 for a few min then the computers shuts off and reboots.
Could this be my power supply? Its a 650w Xclio

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189008

What do you guys think? Any recommendations? (Definitely has to be modular, extra cables make me mad!)

...ugh, just looked at my PSU 12v amps are 18A according to Newegg...don't think thats enough to run Crossfire HD 6850's

Biker,

I think you answered your own question after adding a second GPU. On paper, your Xclio specs should be enough but all power supplys aren't created equal. You can do better than an Xclio.

Good list there from psionic. :thup:

Keep in mind that if you are SLI/Crossfire, most of your cables will be used so a modular may not be necessary for the extra money. Count what you're not using now with two cards and ask yourself if you still want modular. I like them regardless!

PS: Nice rig and overclock!

Thanks gentlemen for your good advice and recommendations, that XFX Black Edition modular sure does look like a good choice with that kind of price, it looks really sexy too even though I won't be able to see it.

I originally was looking at the COUGAR-GX700 since it had such high efficiency and had two dedicated 12v 24A slots so each card can be plugged in directly to the PSU.

Let me know what you guys think, that XFX vs COUGAR :shrug:

EDIT: Guess I answered my question, I read the Single Rail vs Multiliple Rail [Answer inside!] sticky up top and yeah sounds like both PSU's are good. I think I'll go with the XFX though. Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
In my opinion you should use the seasonic X series. I love them and their gold certified.

Back