• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Lian Li 343B Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nidor

Registered
Hello there OCforums, I used this forum way back when I was getting into watercooling and I learned a lot from you guys! Since then I have built and done and redone my system a lot, I went from a Microcool Banchetto Testbench to a Lian Li 343B. Finally last year I got tired of the 343B and decided to redo the system, I started scouring for cases and I found a lot of interesting choices, but I couldn't really justify some of the price tags when I had a perfectly good case at hand.

I then decided that I would go the path that some of you folks have shown me on so many amazing builds on this and other forums! I decided to gut the thing and give modding a go!

The result is not entirely finished yet, so this is kind of a Project Log starting about 80% done.

I've seen a lot of interesting 343B builds out there and the ones I found most enticing were the horizontal motherboard ones, so I decided to go that route.

I drilled out every rivet in the case except the ones keeping the cube frame together and then started working out where to go from there. I then cut out the entire back panel of the case and had a blank backplate made that I could work with. I had a Mountain Mods modular motherboard tray lying around that I used to test systems on and I decided why not use this as my actual motherboard tray! I did some very basic modelling in Google SketchUp and figured out that the best way to mount said motherboard would be about 15cm off the floor of the case. So I got a couple of 15cm square rods to support the back of the tray and got the tray attached to the backplate.

Now I had a very basic case setup. The idea I had was to stick the PSU, a pump and HDD rack under the motherboard tray. I've made a couple of side panels to cover up what's under the motherboard tray, I am not fully satisfied with how they look with the rest of the case yet, but I will think of a solution.

Now enough of my blabbering :blah:

Picture time!

What I started out with as described above
ZtKUuUll.jpg

EeBWcd8l.jpg

KHdRAvDl.jpg

NtUcUXHl.jpg

This is what I managed to work together in my first test fit :)

4yTYbl8l.jpg

1BC6Fpil.jpg

1jiKgXPl.jpg

0lu16J4l.jpg

iNbz47kl.jpg

AnbYJwUl.jpg

The dog is very important, respect the dog.
jAKfLinl.jpg

This is how it looked while on my 2nd Mountain Mods board that I use for out of case rigs, as I regularly game online with friends I kind of had to have it up and running while I put whatever spare time I had into the case :)
LoX2nlrl.jpg

e5ejCcTl.jpg

When I felt ready enough I got the case parts powdercoated by a friend!
LKgHzCcl.jpg

aYFfndol.jpg

hO5uzK3l.jpg

This is what my 2nd test fit looks like, while scouring across the interwebz and forums I came across the Primochill Rigid Acrylic tubing and fell in love. I watched videos about it found forum threads and scoured the web for pretty much anything I could find about it!

I ordered the primochill tubing and fittings and then I got some monsoon bending kits to work with, and well you can see the results!

lzqOY6Hl.jpg

sWXblbml.jpg

JmXfzIPl.jpg

Here the wire for the temp readers had dislodged so it had no power :/ I also intend to paint the ODD white, don't worry it won't be an eyesore!
ELq0oP9l.jpg

nSoHSLxl.jpg

kooW945l.jpg

iUqWEXYl.jpg

r3xJSGPl.jpg

7JcT4lll.jpg

SLmWiBZl.jpg

dMr27oXl.jpg

Uf4UtL7l.jpg

BfgePdJl.jpg

hxobl81l.jpg

iOayLlHl.jpg

d1jHRsAl.jpg

rqQOONzl.jpg

This is how my gaming setup looks at the moment :)

DWwBkt3l.jpg

Now I'd like to state that this is my first go at an actual project log so please be nice :)

Rest of the pictures can be found on my imgur: nidorz.imgur.com

To be quite honest I'm not the best photographer and the only times I've had time to take pictures it's been quite dark :/

Thanks a lot!

Back