• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toasted my bios on my x58a-ud7 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carlito77

I recently updated my bios on my x58a-ud7 motherboard and have had nothing but headaches since. The computer won't boot, it will turn on, I see the fans spinning, but no screen, no Windows and no post beeps. I've tried everything I can think of: cleared the cmos, take out the cmos battery, disconnect the power supply, even tried to re-flash the old bios but to no avail. Gigabyte is no help when your warranty is up. Just like to ask, are there any options left for me? I can't junk this mobo, it's been too solid. I hear that you can replace the bios chip or reprogram the Eprom chip but I wouldn't know where to start with that. I'd appreciate any ideas from you guys. Thanks in advance.

bios chips are soldered on there I believe so I do not think you can easily replace them.. you borked BOTH bios on that board?

Last edited:
Yeah should be able to flash the bad chip with the other chip or at least get it on a USB to do it. 1 of my bioses got corrupted once and I was able to copy the image over from the second one with the built in utility, so all is not lost yet :thup:

If the BIOS is so far gone that it cannot be restored from the backup BIOS, your options are reduced to buying a BIOS chip off ebay, or sending the board to someone who can use an external programmer to stuff the BIOS back onto the chips.

If you can get me the numbers off the two chips indicated in the picture below, I'll see if I can find something.
(I have an external programmer and have done a repair just like this before. Please note that we would need to go through the classifieds here. Alternatively if you're feeling brave I can couch you through it)

Main issue with Gigabyte Dual BIOS is that they often can't recover from the 2nd BIOS. It's probably the worst dual BIOS technology on the market as 2nd BIOS is often not working at all or there are other issues. All my GB boards went to RMA because of 2 reasons, BIOS chip fail or power section issues. Last one was Z87X-OC, dead both BIOS chips even though it had manual switch then none of them was working. Board back from RMA with resoldered both chips.

Did you try to make RMA ? This board can be still on warranty so I would try to make RMA. At least it should have 3 years from manufacture date which is coded in serial number.

If you can make it boot and use DOS mode then I would force flash older BIOS. I don't remember how to make it as you have probably Award BIOS on this board and it's more complicated than on AMI and also depends from BIOS version.

There is one thing you can try with the dual bios on gigabyte to force the backup bios to flash the primary bios. What you have to do is push the power button and reset button at the same time for about 10 sec, than release..

Last edited:
I appreciate all your responses. I was finally able to reflash the bios with the 2nd bios which I didn't know I could do because each time I turned it on, I just saw an empty screen and hearing the fans spin and wasn't booting at all. I just let it stay like that and about 5 minutes later, to my surprise, I hear a post beep. Got into the bios with alt + F12 and was able to reflash it. After I restarted it, I immediately hear the post beep which was good but my enthusiasm was short lived because I noticed that the cpu fan is not spinning so I turn it off cos I didn't want to fried the cpu if it hasn't been fried already. But at least I know the mobo is salvageable cos each time I turn it on, I hear the post beep. Again, thanks for all your responses. Man, I love this site.

You can just connect the cpu fan directly to a molex on the psu. Once in bios you can disable the cpu fan warning. This way the cpu fan will run regardless ;) Unless, of course, the cpu fan is dead.

Back