• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is "Web Services" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manishrathi

Registered
I dont understand what "web services" is ?

RPC(Remote Procedure Calls), SOA(Services Oriented Architecture), REST(Representational State Transfer) , are these web services ?

I read that Web services are a set of tools that can be used in a number of ways. The three most common styles of use are RPC, SOA and REST.

So which tools make web services ?

Pls explain

:welcome: Welcome to the OCForums.

From my understanding of webservices is that it is the tie between a web application and its database OR the web application and the clients. The company I work at uses them in that way. It takes a database and uses SOAP and to write to it from IIS. IIS knows what to write via our client set up on individual computers.

It is complicated, but it can do SO much. Do just a simple google search and you will find a lot of information about it. Here is one link i found.

A web service is sometimes defined as an application that is accessed via a web page rather than being a locally installed application. As ticktock123 says this would be made up of a web application front end and various other back end bits, usually a database server of some type.

Back