• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network at 1800 feet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJPC

Okay, im going to set up a wireless network between 2 homes that are the same height (3 stories) but are 1,760 feet away.

What I was planning was aL

Home 2

Satellite dish
|
Computer
|
Wireless ethernet adapter
|
Wireless access point
|
a high-gain 10.5dbi with a 3 mile range as its antenna
|
|\
| 1800 Feet
|/
|
Home 1 (mine!)
|
Wireless Ethernet adapter
|
Network server
|
WinProxy
|
Clients

Would this work?

Thanks!!

Sounds like it should. I wanna do something similar with my brother. Our apartments arent that far apart though. We just wanna hookup so we can play games without have to go over the internet. And we can transfer files faster that way. :D

Even if it dont work im not spending the money, my boss is!!!!

at least your apartments are closer

Your arrangement should work. But, a 10.5 db antenna might not be enough - especially on hot days. May need a small collector on the distant system.

yes, an antenna on your side.

Try it first though, the single antenna solution may work well for you.

You can improve you chances of getting good contact by buying a wireless card that has a moveable antenna. Even better would be a unit with an antenna that you can remove, I believe that ornico cards have removable antenna's on them.

Well, hopefully the single antenna solution will work for me! less money to spend!

The other thread has a link to a really easy to build Yagi.

Built two for my home network, and they work good up to about 2500m doing yagi-yagi shots.

Antenna cost me $4.50 to build. Cost more for the patch cable, some small coax cable and a BNC connector.

My Pringles can antennas work really well, I would guess it's about a mile between mine and my friends house and we get about 11mbps. Haven't had it runnin on a hot day yet, so I'm unsure how that affects the speed, but he onnly uses it to leech off my cable connection, so 1.5mbps would be good enough.

What I did was replace 1 antenna on my d-link wireless accesspoint/router and soldered a coax connector to it (the antenna was just minicoax, could have baught a converter) Ran coax to my roof and have the pringles can sitting in a pvc pipe with 1 end capped to protect it from rain and snow. On the other end the pvc pipe is sitting in a tree with coax running from there to his house, then he has a wireless card in his desktop computer that we hooked the coax to. This doesn't allow him to have wireless in his house, just a wireless link to mine. His desktop has a nic for his internal wired network.

Total cost no including wireless cards and access points, about $20.

I'm wondering if putting an outgoing line amp on each side would increase the signal strength, aaccording to the orinico software the signal is about 65%-70%.

Here's the website to build your own, they don't cover hooking it up to your access point or anything past building the antenna, that was just something I thought up.

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

That is exactly what I did. Works great eh?

As to the temp question, you may see a drop in connection strength on hot days, something to do with thermal degradation. On a 100+ day, I lose about 3 db on a 13 db connection - but I can still get 11MBps out of it, so who cares, right. At about a mile, I get 11MBps and 65-75% connection quality (60 deg F).

As to the amp question, it will work and there is a set of schematics out there for a simple 1 watt amplifier, but I cannot for the life of me find the link! When you start getting up to that power, the FCC might start squealing, depending on how clean the amplifier is. Pumping that much power out may start to effect other devices that run in the 2.4 GHz range...

Guess i got to go to rat shack!!!

Thanks to all, I will keep you updated!!!

Fink said:
As to the amp question, it will work and there is a set of schematics out there for a simple 1 watt amplifier, but I cannot for the life of me find the link! When you start getting up to that power, the FCC might start squealing, depending on how clean the amplifier is. Pumping that much power out may start to effect other devices that run in the 2.4 GHz range...

I doubt the FCC would even find out, we're doing this over an empty field, no houses or anything...........yet.

If you could find those schematics I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to find a website with just a bunch of free schematics for neat things that when I get bored I can put together.

Back