• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find IP address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilAerosolCan

My backup rig, which up until a few days ago was my main rig, can't get an IP from my router. It was working a few days ago, and since then I've only switched the power supply, the memory, and the case. Now it's not working. When I unplug the cable it says cable disconnected or something. When I plug it in, it will forever search for network address. My main rig is running off of the same router with no problems. I need some help. Thanks.

Edit: I was looking in my router, and I noticed my backup rig is on the DHCP client list. I'm not sure what that means, but I bet the more info I have, the more help I can get. Thanks.

Have you tried a different patch cable? Could just be a bad cable not allowing it to communicate.

Also, do you get a link light on the NIC?

Just A Thought

On the DHCP setup screen of some routers you have to specify a range of allowable numbers that the router can assign, and sometimes this is set to one number by default. If that is the case in your situation the router can't assign a number until you expand the range of allowable numbers it can work with.

Hope it helps
SkyHook

Since you're on DHCP, you might try doing a simple 'ipconfig /release' & 'ipconfig /renew'. Not sure if that'll be totally helpful in your situation or not, but its worth a shot.

I don't think that's it. Both computers were just reformatted with a fresh install of Windows. Unless spyware/adware can install itself in the router somehow.

Okay, I tried all that stuff and it worked on my main rig, but not on the other. It still had the same problems. I don't know what it could be. Network connections in Windows say its connected, and my router has it on the client list, but I can't actually do anything. I'm so confused :confused:

Try this out, this may help you figure out if your backup rig is the problem, or if it looks like the router is causing the problem.

On your main rig that is working, open command prompt, type 'ipconfig /all' and write down IP Address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS servers. Unplug the the ethernet cable from your main rig and plug it into the secondary rig that is having problems.

On secondary rig go into Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Network Connections. Right click on your ethernet card icon and go into properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Now type in all of the settings that you wrote down from the rig that is working and click OK to all the dialog boxes.

Also, on your problem rig, try this command at prompt, 'ping 127.0.0.1', does it give a reply or request timed out?

Cool, I'll try that tonight when I get home. Just out of curiosity, what is 127.0.0.1? I know what pinging is but where will I be pinging?

EvilAerosolCan said:
Cool, I'll try that tonight when I get home. Just out of curiosity, what is 127.0.0.1? I know what pinging is but where will I be pinging?

127.0.0.1 is going to be your loopback address. essentially you're testing your nic to see if it even respond to itself properly.

its your loopback address. to see if there is anything wrong with your nic or protocol

EvilAerosolCan said:
I suppose if pinging 127.0.0.1 times out, that means my NIC is bad?

If 127.0.0.1 times out that means your TCP/IP stack is not functioning properly. The TCP/IP stack is the code in windows that allows your computer to use your network. If there is no response you should try reinstalling TCP/IP or reinstalling Windows.

Last edited:
yup and if you jsut reinstalled windows and verify that TCP/ip is installed and properly configured then it is likely a bad nic. They do die occasionally. also doing a ipconfig /all command on your backup machine will let you know if its gettingn any information or if your ip got set statically.

I can ping myself, and Network Connections still says it is connected, but I can't do anything.

Edit: When I do ipconfig, it has the regular stuff, and then it has something about a tunneling adapter teredo pseudo-interface and a tunneling adapter automatic pseudo-interface. And each of those has a weird ip address with number and letters. What is that?

Last edited:
Back