• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long cat5 cable = slower dsl?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

would going from a 6ft cat5 cable to a 50ft kill dsl speed?
i wanna get a better looking cable, and there cheap, but they only have 6ft or 50ft models, 6ft is a lil too short.. would 50ft kill my dl speed?
thanks

Wonko The Sane said:
no, it shouldn't. ethernet spec is like 185 M ( about 550 ft), i think.

Those specs are for thinNet ethernet (coax).
Cat5 cable is limited to 100meters or about 300ft.

I would not use a 50 ft cable coiled up on the floor, I would go to staples, bestbuy, radio shack, frys or any place like that and you can get cat5 in 6ft, 10ft, 15ft, 25ft, 50ft lengths...

The longer the cable the more likely you are to get interference: it doesn't mean you WILL be slower, but...

I have cables here anywhere from 3' long to about 120' and I don't often see any difference; occasionally in the past my long run did drop packets due to the interference/length I believe, but the difference was negligible.

However: Cat5 crimpers aren't expensive: get some and some ends and make the cables whatever lentgh you want! I still have a couple hundred feet left of a 500' box, I also got wall jacks for mounting ethernet cable runs: means the individual pc cables can be short and tidy. (My pc areas usually end up a disaster after a few months so.......)

engjohn said:

Those specs are for thinNet ethernet (coax).
Cat5 cable is limited to 100meters or about 300ft.

I would not use a 50 ft cable coiled up on the floor, I would go to staples, bestbuy, radio shack, frys or any place like that and you can get cat5 in 6ft, 10ft, 15ft, 25ft, 50ft lengths...

You can make your own cable.

100 Meters is 328ft. It might work beyond it, but there are no garanties.

If you can't make your own cable, go with Engjohn's solution. There is a reason you dont want 50ft. coiled up on the floor...coiling up CAT5 can cause massive interference.

are you sure about the coils i used to work in a data center and we would run about 5miles of cat v every 4 weeks (not counting fiberoptic)

and no one ever mentioned the coils not even the network enginers( never complained about interference)

Yep. Loops in the cat 5 can act as an antenna picking up interference, and corrupting the data stream.

However, in practice, I've not had it become a problem except in a high interference location (in a drop ceiling, next to a flourescent light balast). It is a good habit not to do loops at all, because you never know who's going to move something into the area later that will interfere. And coils on the floor or behind equipment just multiply the possibilities of inner cable damage if stepped on or hit too.

well thats probably why we never go any problems

all the loops were under the sheilded floor tiles

Back