• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone still running a 9800 GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogul26

Registered
This card has been incredibly good to me, not a single problem with it in the 3 years I have owned it. It's the Zotac 9800 GTX Ampd edition. I am still blown away with how it holds up in recent games. Posting 40FPS on low-medium settings in BF3 at 1920X1080 resolution a 4X Anti-Aliasing. Skyrim I can run Medium-High at 1920X1080 and still manage 30FPS.

So is anyone else still using this card? I am sadly about to retire it, which is to bad, because I feel someone could still get a lot of use out of it. I am surprised that a factory OC'd card has lasted me this long, and I use it pretty often. Zotac has really won me over, and I will be buying from them in the future. In my opinion they are highly underated, and I feel there cards are even better than EVGA, and MSI.

I am trading up for an MSI Twin Fozr 7950 (sorry nVidia guys). At first I considered the Zotac 660ti Amp'd, but it was the same price of the 7950 and underperformed by a considerable amount. What are your thoughts and opinions as to which one is better?

Anyways sorry if I am off-topic or posting in the wrong forum. Just thought I would ask if anyone still remembered or has/had the 9800GTX. In my opinion it will go down as one of my personal favorites, was a brilliant card imo.

Mogul welcome to the forums, so let me try to get this right you want to know the Diff between 660ti and a 7950 is that right? AJ.

1, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=550

Well looking at this post in some areas 6 of one half dozen of the other, but i do not know if the newest AMD drivers are included!

Last edited:
The newest drivers I heard make a huge difference. Also I made the thread to have two topics really. One asking if any one had or still has a 9800 GTX, and the other asking which will be better.

I have a couple 9800GTXs, have had a couple more. Killed one.
They're pretty fun cards, especially voltmodded. Dubious lifespan in the benching world, but easily fixable with a bake (usually, the card I killed is dead-dead, I don't even know what happened!).

Dubious lifespan in the benching world, but easily fixable with a bake
Be careful Bob, new users of the forum may misunderstand exactly what you benchers are referring to when "Baking" :D

Yep, I'm still rockin 2 XFX Black edition 9800GTX+s

Used to run 3 but one died eventually. I'm actually lookin at picking another one up if as its my cheapest upgrade option I guess. Hard to find someone with it though.

Found some overseas going for around $50-$70 but none of them wanna post worldwide :(

They've lasted me this long. Boss card, no doubt about it

You can still play some games on this card. I was playing for some time SWTOR and GW2 but on medium/high with turned off AA and some other options. It's no fun to play some other games like BF3 or Skyrim as FPS is dropping below 20 too often.
On the other hand you can get cheap GTX470 or HD5850 that will still run most games on max details.

@Dreaded , if there is black screen and nothing else then you can probably bake it like Bobnova said ... look for oven trick as it's usually working.

Last edited:
Sweet, a similar deal fixed my old Build 2 Xbox 360. I'll give it a bash and report back i guess. From memory, I couldn't even post with it plugged in and the fans on all 3 cards were cranked to 100% instantly, so we'll see how we go.

Cheers!

Awesome to see people still running these cards. I am debating whether to sell it for like 30$ or to keep it in my "archive" of old, but historic PC equipment (You all know how it is).

I still have my DFI Lanparty X48 which was an epic and extremely beautiful board. Was a pretty penny though, but worth everything I spent. Also gonna keep my OCZ SLI nVidia Ram. On another note I might be willing to part with my Q6600 if anyone is interested in that?

Also Efon good choice with the 955 BE, have one as well. How is it treating you? Also good choice on the Kingston HyperX, I has a 2gb setup back in 2009.

I just retired my 8800GT for a GTX 285 1GB I got from a friend, but the G92 chips were amazing and they still hold their own but these newer games really make them crawl to their knees at times, it's nice now being able to max any game and get over 60+fps with 4xAA+ with 16xAF. :D

Yep, I have a 512MB 9800gt which I'm about to upgrade to a gtx 660.
I'm surprised at how well it has held up too

Just saw this thread- I used a 9800GTX as a primary card in my Deneb rig FOREVER, only when I got my first 670GTX did I retire it.. even then, I used it as a PhysX card until I got another used 670 at the price point I was looking for (You won't believe the deals you can find if you wait..)

As somebody else said here, they are a bit questionable when pushed too hard.. I actually had to do a bake on mine once :-/ Still, what awesome little cards!

ptsh still running a 9600 gt eco in my wifes rig, that usually ends up being the guest rig when people come over :D

I freaking love G92 cards. I have a closet full of older G92, and GT200 cards and I pull them out quite frequently and play with them. I buy dead and alive cards off ebay and use them for parts, etc. I have some G92 keychains, and a bunch of dead cards on my desk at work for decorations.
Viva the DX10 generation of nvidia!!

On another note I might be willing to part with my Q6600 if anyone is interested in that?
Oh, yes, please, PM me about it... :D My E4300 needs a rest... I can't believe it's held a 3Ghz OC like this for so long..

Anyways, I'm using a special edition e-8800GT, still runs like a champ. I'll soon be upgrading to a GTX650Ti, but the 8800GT isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

Last edited:
Got a XFX 8800GT and BFG 9800GT sitting in a box. I used the 9800GT not too long ago in an Athlon II X4 system but it doesn't play new games too well (except Half-Life games are fine). I'm thinking about using it again to pair it up with the 7850 to see how it handles PhysX.

I got one to mod and bench but havent got around to it :p

and already have a modded 9800GT that needs to go cold :D

but both I have never used for gaming just collecting for benching

Got a XFX 8800GT and BFG 9800GT sitting in a box. I used the 9800GT not too long ago in an Athlon II X4 system but it doesn't play new games too well (except Half-Life games are fine). I'm thinking about using it again to pair it up with the 7850 to see how it handles PhysX.

It did great with PhysX when I ran it as such :attn: soldier of a chip it is

Back