• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED HIS IceQ X² R9 280X - Stutters on low settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

My son is now playing Batman: Arkham Origins on his new HIS gpu. He tells me that when all settings are at their highest the game is really smooth. But when he lowers the settings the game stutters. Why is that?

This is my son's rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
MB: MSI 990XA-GD55
Graphic: HIS IceQ X² R9 280X Turbo Boost
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600 2x4GB
PSU: Seasonic M12 II 520W
Hard Disks: V3 MIOPS 120GB + WD Green 2TB

The game is installed on the WD HDD. He tried installing the game on the V3 SSD at first but didn't see any improvements. So opted to reinstall on the HDD to save SSD space. The OS is installed on the SSD.

Thank you Darknecron. The AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta6 for Windows is out. Maybe I should update. Not that playing everything on high settings is bad.

No way. Its not poor driver optimization. Literally, the only difference between these and a 7970 is the clock speed. The drivers dont need to be optimized.

Id check GPU-Z and see if the clock speeds are dropping when he lowers the graphics options in the games then go from there.

Let us know one way or another. Also, what drivers are you running currently? The 280x is no different than a 7970, so older drivers should work just fine.

When you lower settings the processor tends to be used more. So by doing so you may be creating a CPU bottleneck.with higher settings the GPU takes over more.

CPU bottleneck? How unfortunate. Didn't think the 1090T would be so easily bottlenecked. Time to practise my OC skills I learnt from Trents.

Or just keep the settings higher. I don't see any reason to run at lower settings than you need to

Batman is not a very demanding game and it can already bottleneck the 1090T. I'm wondering how the cpu would fare if it is asked to handle other more cpu-intensive games like, maybe, BF4?

I'm going to secure erase the V3 and do a clean install of Win 7 in the next day or 2 in preparation for BF4. I'll be using the latest Catalyst Beta drivers. Hope to solve why the system BSODs for no apparent reason (sporadically) though everything is on stock. Forgot to take down the error code the last 2 times I encountered the BSODs.

290X already beats the titan in some games/etc :p

Once games become mantel-complaint/capable that performance should increase further.

What was the previous card?
When I changed from my 670, I had stutter/physics problems with Batman: Arkham city.
It was never right until a fresh install of windows

Back