• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I could use some help with picking my new monitor, please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

testudo_aubreii

Registered
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, but I need some serious help. I hope that I posted this in the correct forum. If not, please forgive me and hopefully it will be moved to the correct one. I am looking for some help between two monitors. I will only be gaming in 60 Hz, 1080p, consoles and web development/photo editing. I am looking for duel monitors, too. I would also like to know if anyone knows if they are 6 bit or 8 bit panels.

I think that I have it narrowed down to these two:

Asus VS248H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor
BenQ Official Major League Gaming Monitor RL2455HM (24-Inch LED)

They are in my price range and have pretty decent reviews, but I thought I would post it here to get some more opinions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, suggestions or advice.

Grab the BenQ. Better response time, more inputs, and VESA options.

Grab the BenQ. Better response time, more inputs, and VESA options.

Hey, thanks for the response! I am leaning towards the BenQ because of the 2xHDMI inputs, but I am reading some reviews about washed out colors and such. I just contacted BenQ and they said the model I am looking at is an 8 bit panel. I conacted Asus and the could not tell me whether it is a 6 or 8 bit panel, only that it is 16.2 million color. I don't know how much of a difference that makes. In fact, as you can probably tell, I don't know too much about this subject.

Between the 2 the BenQ would be the better IMO. Although being BenQ's lower end I would be worried about color quality. Try to find some reviews on it. Otherwise I would look at ASUS's VE or VH series which produce decent color for being lower end.

Between the 2 the BenQ would be the better IMO. Although being BenQ's lower end I would be worried about color quality. Try to find some reviews on it. Otherwise I would look at ASUS's VE or VH series which produce decent color for being lower end.

The color reproduction is what I am really worried about. I may have to go with the Asus. I just don't know. I am always second guessing myself because I am afraid that I picked the wrong product.

Do you think that color/image quality will be that much of a difference?

If you're worried about color representation that much, get an IPS.

I play Battlefield, Total War, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Madden (sports in general). A little bit of everything I guess. However, I am not really what you would call a competitive gamer...more of an avid gamer.

Well, I planned on having my PS3 and PS4 hooked up to one of the monitors and the PC to both. The BenQ has 1xDVI, 1xVGA and 2xHDMI. The Asus has one of each. If I went the Asus route, I could either get an HDMI spiltter for the one monitor or hook a console up to each monitor with HDMI and the PC with the DVI.

I guess I would need at least 2 HDMI and 2 DVI between the two monitors...if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense.

I would say just grab the BenQ, the reviews I see are very good. It has the features you need and then a few more.

Thanks. I believe that they are both TN monitors. Do you know the difference between the 6 or 8 bit panel specification?

Me, either. I can't imagine the quality of BenQ being that bad. Is it not a pretty big name in monitors?

They haven't been around as long as some (2001 company), but they've made a good name for themselves in my eyes.

I want to run 3 of their no bezel monitors for racing, but that's out of the budget for a bit :)

Whoa...I can see where that would get expensive :p.

I just wish I could see them before I buy one or the other. I don't think that there is any place around me that carry those brands. I am thinking more and more about the BenQ, though.

If that's the one you feel most comfortable with grab it, the panels in the price segment are not going to be drastically different from one another (Aside from TN vs IPS of course). BenQ is a well known brand and I wouldn't expect it to be a crappy panel.

I would have to opt out for an IPS panel (as mentioned above), and my eyes have thanked me very much over the long haul. The colors and realism are 2nd to none.

While BenQ is a well know name brand, I had one. Maybe they changed since then but I was not impressed, the color representation was way off. You can make it look good to your eyes but if you do any picture or video editing, don't expect that a printed picture will look any thing like it does on screen. I paid more than I could have got a better one for and had to live with it for two years before it went out.

Back