• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS R9 290 (non X) sudden spikes in gpu usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eddi0711

Hi guys,

I've recently got an R9 290 and everything works fine however I am noticing some sudden spikes in gpu usage on gpu tweak. Also, a couple of times a black square appeared on my desk top and then it goes away after a while.

Do you think there is an issue with my psu? Or is this driver related (currently running 13.2)

I've attached two screen grabs to illustrate my point. I don't see any issues when playing games or using windows.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• GPU Tweak_idle.jpg
    GPU Tweak_idle.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 798
  • GPU Tweak_Load_farcry 3.jpg
    GPU Tweak_Load_farcry 3.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 683
Weird that I have also noticed this as well. I don't have any screen shots but it has done the same thing after a bsod the other day, and before that there was no reason for it that I could find. Mine is very noticeable because I have a very aggressive fan profile with fan speed reaching 100% at 60c. I thought it was a glitch with afterburner because I have seen problems with it before but it was reacting to sudden spikes in GPU usage and the temperature. It must be the crappy drivers, AMD/ATI seriously needs to fix whatever is wrong with these cards, it is by far the worst POS I have ever regretted purchasing.

@shadowdr
I have seen some people report that afterburner was actually causing some of their GPU spikes - apparently the latest version of afterburner fixes at least that particular set of spikes.

Back