• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your worst mistake just goofing off with computers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My biggest mistake would be posting huge images in forums so others would have to scroll the whole screen left to right just t read the various post. :D

Just kidding ziggo0. :)

EDIT.....

Now it seems to fixed, hmmm, you fix it or is it a Firefox thing?

I think it's a firefox thing, it tends to be 1337 in that manner ;). Actually I think it's the forums. I believe they auto resize to a default resolution if they arn't smaller than it.

And to stay on topic.... Switching to Firefox was one of the best things I could have done....definately not a mistake. :)

As for computer mistakes, just the other day I was removing my dead cdrw drive (see sig) and I forgot to set the slave dvdrw drive to master and for several mintues while trying to access the drive I couldn't find it...d'oh...then it dawned on me. I had to re-open the case and set it to master until my replacement drive comes in. Not a big boo boo though.

Didn't bother to check if the heatsink was seated properly on my Ti-4600. system was locking up in games for 3 days before I pulled the card to check to see if I had accidentally shorted the card with the ASIII. Turns out the new heatsink wasn't even touching the GPU. :eek: Funny thing is, that the vid card survived, and no worse for wear. Thing shoulda burned out within minutes, but survived 3 days. Geuss someone up there likes me.

Having a giddy time with two-year-old and computer on the floor, rocking it and laughing and smashing into it and laughing harder, flipping it over with tears in our eyes. Pop goes the motherboard.

Well, goofing is life, and you gotta live.

measuring voltages on a 9800 pro...*zap* *restart* *corrupted video*...
wow, ziggo0, ive never actaully seen a chipped core before...

Poking inside the computer while it was running, pencil took a dive up and went into vid card fan, 3 blades shattered and it still occasionally rattles.

Also wiped out a PIII mobo by plugging in a PSU set to accept "110V" when it got 230v instead.. whoops :(

My worst mistake? Reaching in to touch the top of my heatsink to see how hot it was. Forgetting I had just installed a 4000RPM fan on the bottom of my PSU. The blade caught my fingernail head on and ripped the whole nail straight back and clear off.

^ Hahahahha that was funny

Lol, I guess I haven't really made mistakes, but I am going to some day!

@md0Cer said:
My worst mistake? Reaching in to touch the top of my heatsink to see how hot it was. Forgetting I had just installed a 4000RPM fan on the bottom of my PSU. The blade caught my fingernail head on and ripped the whole nail straight back and clear off.
:eek:

I killed my 9800 a couple of weeks ago in a vmod. The stupid thing about it was I did the same mod like 5 times before and I was just way too confident this time around. Also it was like 12 am.

Not really my mistake, but my first computer had a lot of troubleshooting to go through before getting it to work, and I had a friend helping me. It was kinda dark and he was using a LED flashlight attached to some very heavy keys to look at the open computer (lying on its side on the ground). Stood up and forgot that the keys were on his lap and the big ring of keys lands right on my new motherboard...I about lost it. After removing keys and restarting, it worked perfectly. (Long live the Abit durability) :):):)

I killed an Amd once when the heatsink came loose...but it was kinda fun really...

(Chip too stupid to have thermal protection).

Funny thing happened to me a few days ago. Didn't break a computer or anything, but it had to do w/ the computer.

I have my Chemning Dragon full-tower server case to the left-side of my desk and was clearing off my desk to put my L90D+ monitor on a couple nights ago. The case has a 120mm blowhole in the top and was whirring pretty good at the time.

Anyway, my girlfriend bought me a very nice expensive ring last year and I had taken it off and left it on my desk. So I'm moving everything off of my desk, tons of programming and accounting papers and homework, and the next thing I hear is, "WHIRRCHCHCHCHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK!! BRTRTRTRT!" and all kinds of other noises that sound like something just fell into the fan of the blowhole.

So I stop and look and I can see something caught inbetween the blades and the grill. I reach down to power off the computer but before I touch the button, the fan spits the ring out and hits me in the chest.

Thankfully the ring was still in good shape otherwise my g/f would have my ***.

Thought it was kinda funny though. :)

prying the epoxy'd Heatsink off my a7n8x NB chipset with a scredriver = small dent or hole that went unoticed... When poweing on my comp... poor orange embers and smoke coming from the chipset. What a wonderful way to enjoy your first attempt at watercooling

Albaholic said:
prying the epoxy'd Heatsink off my a7n8x NB chipset with a scredriver = small dent or hole that went unoticed... When poweing on my comp... poor orange embers and smoke coming from the chipset. What a wonderful way to enjoy your first attempt at watercooling

Ouch.

Eclypsyr said:
(Long live the Abit durability) :):):)

YEA! Mine has gone through power surges, water spills, static electricity, and PLENTY of metal or other electrically conductive objects coming in contact with it. Each time shorted it out and the system turned off, one made a popping sound, but it still works.

My AMD has a slightly crushed and chipped core too. Still works at 2.48GHz. Been up to 120°C, as well as 2.1Vcore, and has ran for about 6 months folding at 80°C. Still works fine and the O/C from 1.4GHz to 2.48 is still as stable as could be. :)

That is one reason I might be more inclined to buy either an Abit or AMD. :)

Back