• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Setup Help (Guru Advice needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beelzebub

Ok, here is what I would like to do, but I am a newbie at this, so I need direction...

1.) I want to have my domain name point to my home network running on my DSL line. At the moment I am using DNS2go but would like more flexibility.

2.) I have 5 different static IP addresses through my provider, and I want to use them, yet my Linksys DSL router only allows for 1 IP address.

3.) I want 1 IP address to be my private internal network (Running DHCP). This will not have any domain name pointed to it and is already set up using my Linksys DSL router.

4.) I want IP #2 to be my webserver, where I can have the following...
www.mydomain.com become the website
stats.mydomain.com become the website stats site that requires a login to access
dev.mydomain.com become the development website that also requires a login to access

5.) I want IP #3 to be my mailserver

6.) I want IP #4 to be my FTP server

I have access to pretty much any OS out there, but I am familiar with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. My domain name is already purchased and is using DNS2go service to point to one of my IP addresses. My home computer, running Windows XP, is hosting my site currently, while crunching SETI@home 24/7 (which makes it super slow of course). I also want to run ASP pages and SQL Server.

I have 3 boxes I can use at the moment, but finding more is not a problem. Is there anyone out there with the same setup? Can anyone lead me in the right direction on setting up this system? Hardware and Software are not a problem.

I may be completly wrong, but can't you put a hub or switch before the router and break out all you ip's from it one for each pc and one for the router. I realize this isn't the most secure setup. Or if your router supports it set up a DMZ and run the servers off of that.

most cheap internet routers wont support a DMZ thats nearly that complex, really as was mentioned your best bet is to put the connection on a hub to your servers and then run anything else behind the router tied into the hub/switch...as for getting your domain name forwarded thats out of my scope, lol

I have tried a hub before the router connection, but it doesnt take. The router takes over the hub and merely uses the hub as an extension of the router, rather than allowing me to split my IPs in this sense. :(

Ya I kind of knew the domain name forwarding was outta scope :D I had to try.

I'm not quite at the guru level, but I believe that to have multiple static ips you must have multiple mac addresses open to the internet- your linksys (as you said only allows one.

I think a switch or a real router (gateway routers are in a separate category) would allow you to do this, as it doesn't contain a mac address, they just relay requests to the proper host.

Have you tried the hub without the gateway router? My thinking is that it may be preventing the other ips from being recognized.

We have some guys who are WAY more advanced in this stuff than I around.....they will be able to say definitively.

I have used the hub alone and it works, but I would like to use the DSL Router/Firewall for the private network because of the firewall / dhcp capability.

I had tried a second DSL modem, but I guess my ISP will only allow for 1 DSL modem to be connected at a time, or else my problems would be solved. :D

two dsl modems on one line is possable but difficult. It requires special filters so the two modems don't talk over each other.

plug the hub into the modem, then plug the wan port of the router to the hub... not sure where you'll need to use uplink ports and/or crossover cables, but that should work.

Thats a tall order!

This can be done.

You may need to get a better Router in order to do this.

You will be doing alot of NATing. (network Adress Translation)

You said you have 5 IP's from your ISP, one of them will be used with your DSL router. You need to setup NATing in this router.
If it can be done.

just an example:

Lets say your public IP is 128.100.150.100 to 104.

Your DSL router is using 128.100.150.100.

We will make your mail server 128.100.150.101.

You need to use NAT. Tell your DSL router( if it can be done.) if 128.100.150.101 comes in NAT to 192.168.0.101, which is your internal (protected) none routable IP to your mailserver.

Do this for all of your other servers.

Hope this helped!

- Joeteck

Just for more clarification...

I have the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL Router. Currently, if I only use a hub, I can get all 5 of my public IP's to point to 1 server, but the moment I plug in my Linksys Router, anything connected to the hub is behind the router, regardless if my hub or router is connected to my DSL modem first.

I would like to use the Router since I have the thing, and it is has served it's purpose, but I would like to have use of all the IP numbers my DSL provider has given me. All personal computers are behind the Router (has firewall built in), and currently I have the servers behind the router as well (but I would prefer to have them public).

Would it be a good idea to set up a internet gateway computer with all 5 IPs going to it, then having that distribute the 5 IPs? Seems like an extra hop that isnt necessary, but if it is the only way to go, then so be it. I would prefer the hub connected in front of the router, but the router takes over.

Ok then.

Use only one of your IP's.

With your router, assign what port you want it to go out on.

I have the Sonicwall Tele 2. I have my DHCP give out all the addresses to all 5 Computers.

Example of my screen, should be very simular with yours.

10.0.0.100 FTP (x) Port 21
10.0.0.101 HTTP (x) Port 80
10.0.0.102 SMTP (x) Port 25
10.0.0.102 POP3 (x) Port 110
10.0.0.103 Telnet (x) Port 23

Everything is accessed from your one public address, and your router is doing all the NATing. understand?

FYI: notice you can have more than one port open on each server.

I'm doing somthing very simular here, and it works.

Thats almost exactly what I am doing at the moment, but I have those 4 other IPs just wasting away. I guess I am making it more complicated than I need to.

Basically I wanted the public servers outside of the Router/Firewall. When someone goes to a public server, I want them to have no possibility of even knowing the private network is even there. Sure the router/firewall can do this with 1 public IP, but I want to seperate them entirely.

Plus, I have 5 IPs, and I am currently only using 1 for the entire network. It just seems like a complete waste of IP addresses.

Attached is a layout of how I want the network to work, but I have to emphasis, the Router I have CANNOT connect to the hub without everything connected to it being behind the router, regardless of the physical connection I am making. Either I am connecting it incorrectly (i dont think that is the case, but it maybe), or the router just takes control since the hub is considered a 'dumb' device and a router a 'smart' device.

Are your sure it is your Router that is taking controll of the LAN? Many modems will have DHCP built into them also. You need to make sure that your modem is just acting as a bridge and not a DHCP server.

Other wise I don't see why you should be having any problems with that set up.

PS. Don't for get that your modem need's it's own IP address too (or maybe not? I havn't delt with DSL much, but I would think it would have to.) So that will take one of your IP addresses, or did your ISP give you this one for free and then you paid for the 5 more?

Tracert has hit the nail right on the head. And you shouldn't have a problem doing this with the Linksys.

Tracert, may I steal your image and break apart the components to use for answering questions like these. I have the solution in my head just like your pic, but if I where to type it out I would lose the person.

I like your diagram better, but it isnt that much different than the one i had made except for the Modem, Internet Cloud, and diagnal lines :D

The modem is a Westell Wirespeed 890-36R16. I am not quite sure it has its own IP address. I had switched it with an identicle one configured for my friend's DSL that went to a different COLO and it worked without any changes.

Is it because Router's DHCP is enabled that it takes over the hub?

With only a hub and no router, I can have all my public IPs point to something. The modem does not seem to take one up as was said earlier. If my computers are set up to use DHCP with only the modem, they cannot connect to the internet or eachother.

My DSL plan is PacBell Enhanced DSL with 1.5 down and 784 up (i think thats the number, i know it is in the 700s). They provide only 5 IPs. The gateway didnt change when i switched modems.

I heard sometime ago that a standard hub is considered a 'dumb' device and will follow the lead of any 'smart' device on the system, such as a router, if there is nothing else between them. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for all the input guys.

The hub wont really do anything. All it will do is pass the signals. Its not really a dumb device so much as just a way of spliting off the cat 5. I would compare it to pluging in a 2 way splitter in your phone jack so you can plug both a fax machine and your phone in at the same time.

The diagram was more so you could see the way to set up your IP's then the pictures.

Maybe your DSL modem is seen as a bridge with no IP address, I guess that is the best way I could think of it. If anyone knows more about the way DSL handles IP packets it would be nice if they could enlighten us.

However IP is still IP and it will always follow the rules. That is Y I would use your hub as the direct link to your modem, configure your static IP's on your external servers and connect them to the hub. Then make sure you plug the external/WAN (what ever Linksys calls it) port of your Linksys and hard code that port on your Linksys to use one of your public IP address. After that on the internal side of your Linksys you can have DHCP & Nat running and everything should work fine.

I know this can sound confusing but it really isn't when it comes down to practice. Its just kind of hard to explain clearly.

Kingslayer, feel free to slice and dice anything I post to your hearts content. I just hope I can be some help ;)

Thanks Tracert. I am going to try it out either later today or tomorrow and tell you how it behaves. If you never hear from me again, its because I threw the Modem out the window :D

Back