• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG favor to ask...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karben

I know it's my first post but I'm fed up with trying on my own to OC my 840 x4 3.2ghz phenom 2. I have tried increasing voltages, I read the guide on my specific cpu to no avail and I want my hand held :D. If this is out of the question, sorry for asking. But, I am wondering if someone will get on skype/ts3/vent and help me OC my processor. I can get as far as oc to 3.409 ghz before my rig just won't boot up. Even after increasing voltages. I know my multipliers are locked and I have to fiddle with just about everything in my BIOS but tbh, I don't know where to begin and the last thing I need is a bricked cpu.

I recently began Planet Side 2 and it's amazing but I'm CPU bound and the game is *hard* with 15 fps in firefights. Please, someone come to my rescue!

Please, I'm begging. I just need someone to tell me what values to increase. Then you can be on your merry way. You don't need to stick around through my trial and error. I've been googling guides to point me in the right direction but either my bios is different or has different acronyms or im just a herr derr.

~Karben

we need to know your board make and model, is it an as bought off the shelf computer?
do you have a video card? what is it's make and model?

Sorry for the delay!

Busy week, unemployed then re-employed by a VERY upscale stereo equipment company! I'm excited!!! OW OW!!!

Anyways...
ASUS M4N68T-V2 Mobo
HD 6950 2gb
AMD Phenom x4 840 @ 3.2GhZ
Antec HCG 620w PSU
4gb DDR 3

I kinda got a franken-rig going. It started out as an HP off the shelf back in 06. I upgraded Video Card, then realized I needed a new processor. Microcenter had a deal: 100 bucks for my mobo and the amd chip. So i jumped on it.

please google pcmark 7 from futuremark, it will benchmark your cpu and your gpu.
I have a 965 my grandson games with and it games just fine weather it's at stock clocks or set up to 4.0. when i get home I will download the same version and run it and we can compare notes.

I can game on most games with medium-high settings, but I'm wanting to get 30+ on Planetside 2 while in a massive battle. I get 10-15 fps and its nearly unplayable. I know its poorly optimized and their working on it. But I've noticed from stock clocks to where I am now, 3.4 ghz netted me huge gains.

I can game on most games with medium-high settings, but I'm wanting to get 30+ on Planetside 2 while in a massive battle. I get 10-15 fps and its nearly unplayable. I know its poorly optimized and their working on it. But I've noticed from stock clocks to where I am now, 3.4 ghz netted me huge gains.

I don't know what kind of success you will find OCing that part, but I can at least attest to the fact Planetside 2 is nearly unplayable on older AMD parts, espeically if they aren't clocked well. This is somewhat true in Skyrim, but not nearly as bad as PS2 (Which I could literally change the framerate from 17 to 29 on my old Deneb part by changing the clock rate from 3 to 3.8GHz haha. One of those "Just need a tiny bit more firepower" deals. Any CPU intensive game does this on older AMD rigs-- Like Guild Wars 2, Skyrim (Not as bad), and Aion.

So youre saying I could possibly get better frames by just purchasing a "newer" amd chip? How high would I have to go to get 30+ in firefights? would spending 150-200 get me there? I was thinking of scraping my amd cpu altogether and buying a new mobo and chip but If i can save some cash and stick w amd then Ill do that...

http://microcenter.com/product/3757...n_31GHz_Eight-Core_Socket_AM3_Boxed_Processor

I think I'm gonna go get this bad boy tonight, thoughts?

Last edited:
a newer amd would help considerably i wouldn't bother going to intel unless you are planing to upgrade everything.

I will have to download that version from pc mark if i ever make it home. the scoreing has changed from pcmark 06.

my weapon of choice is a 955be stepping 2, biostar 790 board on water.
3.4 is the number now i think.

look at the cpu score, we will try to raise it one step at a time and teach you the methods that get us there and keep us from just running out to buy the 8 core thing with all the issues that go along with it.

Attachments

• 955 results.PNG
    955 results.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 59
Back