• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phone/data providers unlimited data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

im thinking of getting a data plan and version is WAY to much for only 2gb
I live @ 48062
I need 3g or better

now I can do only 1 line or 5 lines (family)
if I did 5 it would be for whole family
sprint is $240 for the whole family
T-Mobile $210
however t mobile seems to only offer 2g speed but I not 100% cause their map loads all funny :bang head
also don't mind no contact plans
as long as it does not burn my pockets

for one line prefer under $45/m
with unlimited data
or family plan
unlimited data
under $200 with good coverage 3g+

my plans with the phone is to ezter to my computer
so get faster internet speeds

but also normal smart phone stuff

for phone I was looking at nexus 4 any good?

Sprint offer unlimited talk, text and data for $80 a month.
T mobile offer $50 a month for unlimited everything, but their coverage is not at good at Sprint
The last one is metro PCS, offer $40 a month everything, tax include, but their signal coverage is also the worst.

I am thinking about sprint
I went into the sprint store and turns out the have 4g ltc in my area!
just maps are out dated
may talk my dad in to switching the whole family

Downloading stuff would be fine...but trying to play games on a data connection would be terrible, ping would be way too high.

on easytether?
ping right now for games is ~100ms
for DSL 1.5mb down 468kb up

how fast is 3g speeds on sprint
would I smoke my 1.5mbps down? and 468kb up?
or be on par
$80 a month is not bad but if I start to pay for my phone I was fast data faster then my DSL
and I asked the sprint ppl and lloks like they just added 4g LTC towers in my area so im hoping for 4g speeds
which btw what are they download at?

2743140410.png

Just did that speed test using Millenicom's 20GB data for Verizon 4G LTE, depending on the server I'm connecting to I can also reach over 30Mbit down and 15Mbit up. Don't let people who say data connections have terrible latency, (it is falsified information only applying to certain areas due to tower load or bad service), sway you. It is on a per-location basis only. For me, Verizon 4G LTE, in games like Battlefield 3, League of Legends, Tera, CounterStrike GO, etc. I average around 90ping, 100~ at worst, good ping being 50~.

It could be costly, but I would get a no-contract "trial" of some sort with the company you are really looking at... See if they will allow you to test a data device for a few days only with written agreement to return with cc on hand in case. Just to see the type of reception you will get.

2743156842.png

Another but to a further distance

Bearing in mind these are 4G LTE(Verizon) speeds/latency, 3G latency will normally be 100 - 130, or at least that's what Verizon's 3G data was for me @ 3Mbit speeds, will vary based on carriers, such as Sprint's Wimax. My download rates through Origin and Steam are 2.5-3Mb/s, so downloads are very nice as well.

Last edited:
2743140410.png

Just did that speed test using Millenicom's 20GB data for Verizon 4G LTE, depending on the server I'm connecting to I can also reach over 30Mbit down and 15Mbit up. Don't let people who say data connections have terrible latency, (it is falsified information only applying to certain areas due to tower load or bad service), sway you. It is on a per-location basis only. For me, Verizon 4G LTE, in games like Battlefield 3, League of Legends, Tera, CounterStrike GO, etc. I average around 90ping, 100~ at worst, good ping being 50~.

It could be costly, but I would get a no-contract "trial" of some sort with the company you are really looking at... See if they will allow you to test a data device for a few days only with written agreement to return with cc on hand in case. Just to see the type of reception you will get.

2743156842.png

Another but to a further distance

Bearing in mind these are 4G LTE(Verizon) speeds/latency, 3G latency will normally be 100 - 130, or at least that's what Verizon's 3G data was for me @ 3Mbit speeds, will vary based on carriers, such as Sprint's Wimax. My download rates through Origin and Steam are 2.5-3Mb/s, so downloads are very nice as well.

when you say " 100 - 130," that's real download speed?
cause that's not bad

also I will go to the store and see if they will do a trial run to make sure 4g works at home :thup:
thx

100-130 was my referring to latency/ping.

Download speeds on average for my 4G LTE area is normally 3 Mb/s. Basically as fast, and faster in many areas, than a cable connection. (Jackson, TN 4G LTE with my device I reach 50 - 60 Mbit down and 20Mbit up)

Sprint 3G can be from hilariously bad to okay depending on your area.

When I had sprint I would get anywhere from a 100kb connection up to 1.5mb depending on service in the area when tethering. Ping was in the 400-500ms range, pretty terrible for gaming and this is in a high-population area.

well I probly going keep my ISP cause my dad pays for it and every1 else will use it
but im hoping for 4g speeds

That's why I suggest finding a way to play with something to see the speeds you will be getting for your area. Data connection speeds rely a lot on the towers, so if the company does not upgrade the tower in your area to handle the load, it will always just stay slow. As far as Sprint, AFAIK their 4G LTE was only recently rolled out in 21 markets....

ya they just added 4g ltc in the area
the person said its under testing and officially will be out in the fall
however that does not mean i will not get 4g ltc (which I will) just unsure in my home (the tower is 2-3miles away from my house so im assume good speeds) just worryed
and I live far from a real city so im hoping towers are not too bad (less users)
closest City is port Huron which is 40min drive the Big D is like 1hr 30mins

also they don't offer Demo phone to test however they do offer 14day money back so Saturday im going and get a phone
probly S4 as it looks pretty sweet I know some ppl with S3 and they love it
(of Couse IOSx is out no ez tether)

Just be warned about getting a phone and doing a test on it.

If its a new box, they might charge you 10% for using the phone. Phone activation is $35-40 which you won't get back, and depending they will charge for your time on the network. It says 14days money back just make sure there is some writing to go with it otherwise you'll be in for a rude awakening when you return the device.

As for 4G speeds, yeah be careful on that and make sure its tested. I get 4G speeds in my place, by windows. Everywhere else its 3G. Tower location im not sure but I get shoddy coverage in my place as is, go outside I get a nice 3-4 bars no problem. Place must be lined with lead :)

ya I got the phone galaxy S4
I get 4g at home and good signal

I switched from AT&T to Sprint back in January and I am loving it, the service is much better in every regard plus I get Unlimited LTE pretty much everywhere I go averaging around 20Mbps and if I fall back onto 3G I get around 2Mbps which is what I was getting on AT&T on a iPhone 4. And I am paying about $30 less a month for one phone you really cannot beat it and once Network Vision is completed it will be the network to watch out for.

ya I am enjoying sprint a lot
lol 1st month did 15gb
only few days in this month and already at 3gb
Love sprint Unlimited!

Basically goes like this in terms of quality (I dont know about privacy though, anymore, in Verizon's case =P)

From Best (furthest left) to worst (furthest right)

Verizon > Sprint > AT&T > T-Mobile > TracPhone > MetroPCS

I had a T-Mobile phone that was total crap and their service was garbage too, had a Sprint iPhone 4S 16GB and loving it after years, had it since 4S's came out.

Gonna get a 5s when it comes out =P

blah i wouldnt **** with sprint man they have horrible 3g i mean really bad... 1mb or less and their LTE is mediocre at best... my dad has sprint and he gets about 3-8 megs down on LTE... verizon gets 20+ i get 16-24 on tmo and att gets about the same....

if your in the country att/verizon for sure if you live in the city tmo works just fine

i have extensive experience with all the carriers lol

There is no such thing as unlimited. Before you know it, that will be gone an you'll be another person whining, giving the finger to your current provider, jumping to another one, then repeating the process when that policy changes.

If it can happen to Verizon, it will sure as hell happen to Sprint. You can run, but you can't hide. :-/

Last edited:
Back