• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 13.11 3d application settings etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, it was a general guide to get rid of old drivers and whatnot...
You never used a reference pcb it seems ED, the HIS card you had uses a different voltage controller chip which works best with their own oc software (akin to Asus cards and gputweak). No need to go through most of that, just a side note and interesting info.

I've used plenty of reference pcbs. ;)

This HIS cards I used with msi afterburner outside of the screenshots in reviews unless I noted I had a problem for the most part.

Well, I guess there's no more to argue about lol
I prefer to get rid of boost and see the actual voltage I feed to the card instead of guessing, that's why I suggested that guide.

So I turn on my PC today and there was a small flicker...one thin line and not even across the whole screen...went away quickly...

Is this the driver or should I be concerned?

Also, I got a black screen in game once for a few seconds.

From what I read this could be caused by driver issues or a dying card.

It happened only once so far.

I have not touched any of the settings yet in terms of OC, everything is out of the box.

What about it Pepi? The problem resolution is in likely in the drivers for both one time occurrences...

Really man, don't sweat one happenstance, really. If it becomes a problem, you already have the suggestion in your head to switch drivers so try it... be a bit independent. We are here for you, but, cut the cord a bit man! :)

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime"

:)

got it.

I'm only trying to be proactive bc it's a new card.

:)

got it.

I'm only trying to be proactive bc it's a new card.

Make sure your BIOS/MB and Windows is up-to-date. Than install the GPU driver. Take your time on it in that sequence.

You're not going to kill the card as long as you're not OC it to the extreme. Most GPUs these days have built-in protection anyways. This is all software or hardware related. Get to the bottom of it incase you have hardware going bad so you can send it out if needed for an RMA and get a replacement. In the meantime work on the software and make sure they are clean installs.

So I turn on my PC today and there was a small flicker...one thin line and not even across the whole screen...went away quickly...

Is this the driver or should I be concerned?

Also, I got a black screen in game once for a few seconds.

From what I read this could be caused by driver issues or a dying card.

It happened only once so far.

I have not touched any of the settings yet in terms of OC, everything is out of the box.

If it continues to happen and it bothers you you can try disabling overdrive in catalyst, and then in Afterburner beta, disable ULPS and enable unofficial oc without powerplay support. Sometimes ULPS/Powerplay causes flickering.

Make sure your BIOS/MB and Windows is up-to-date. Than install the GPU driver. Take your time on it in that sequence.

You're not going to kill the card as long as you're not OC it to the extreme. Most GPUs these days have built-in protection anyways. This is all software or hardware related. Get to the bottom of it incase you have hardware going bad so you can send it out if needed for an RMA and get a replacement. In the meantime work on the software and make sure they are clean installs.

+1

Thanks for the tips.

Did a clean install last weekend, all drivers, bios up to date...

I'll monitor it and if it continues I will try non beta drivers as well as non beta MSI AB

currently I have my AB set up as you suggested Ivan.

But yeah the priority here is to eliminate potential hardware failure as early as possible.

If it continues to happen and it bothers you you can try disabling overdrive in catalyst, and then in Afterburner beta, disable ULPS and enable unofficial oc without powerplay support. Sometimes ULPS/Powerplay causes flickering.
LOL Ivan, that is your go to fix for everything! :grouphug:

thanks Ivan. I have seen that first tutorial on youtube. I'll try it if I see the flicker again.

No flicker but screen went black randomly for a few seconds 3 times this evening.

I took the card out, booted with onboard graphics

uninstalled ATI drivers, disabled vga device from device manager...

rebooted with card installed

installed non beta drivers for both ATI and MSI AB

We'll see what happens...

My GTX also had black screen issues with beta drivers and then it seemed ok with normal ones...

I hope this fixes it

Did you oc at all?

I'd keep the 13.9 whql and go for a test drive with them...13.11 beta 3 gives better performance but not sure if it's 100% reliable.

No OC, not touching oc till my 30 day direct replacement time passes...this way I can minimize the potential reasons for any issues.

I also installed non beta MSI but now, no option for disabling ULPS...if I don't get black screens for a couple of days I'll reinstall MSI beta to try.

Back