• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS R9 290 Black Screen Help?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eaks77

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I bought a HIS R9 290 a couple weeks back and have run into some issues. I initially installed the card on my desktop:
Windows 7
Intel I3-2100
8Gb ram
Asus P8P67-M. with latest bios v3703

At first I had some troubles with the drivers, but that was taken care of when I used the latest Beta, which at that time was 13.11.

After a little while, I ran into some problems. It would boot... the windows logo would appear and then black screen. The 290's fan would then spool up to about 40%. I tried some remedies from other threads with no resolve. I gave up and installed a different ATI card on my desktop... no issues

Tonight I had a buddy bring over a computer that was in need of a GPU upgrade... so I thought... eh... lets try the HIS 290. Sure enough, plugged it in... uninstalled all previous drivers through a proper safe mode/uninstaller. Then I installed the latest beta, 14.1... and sure enough, same problem! HIS doesn't seem to have a tech support line (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the RMA looks painful!

Does anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions?!

Thanks!

The black screen problem is a well known issue with 290 cards. If you are overclocking the memory even more so. Most people seem to be getting them less after the newest driver updates but it sounds like you still have them. If you have the memory even a little overclocked, turn it back to stock and give it a go. I think 1250 was stock on these but double check that. There are tons of possible fixes out there so you might try some out. Also check out the big 290 owners thread here out. You might find something in there worth a shot.

Yeah, I even have my 280X OC to 1220, and if I try to push the memory up any it farts on me.

My two cents.

*edit* it was never OC'd ? ok sorry that sounds maybe not good.

Try the older drivers ????

I know that obvious but do that.

What bios number are you running, the xx16 does the same for me but the xx23 is ok, not great but it runs without the black screen.

Back