• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 780g + Phenom 9600BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH RESULTS

Alrighty, here's what I pulled the trigger on....

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD Phenom 9600BE
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB DDR2 1066(2 x 2GB)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3450 512MB
SILVERSTONE SST-ST56ZF 560W
Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Should be in Monday or Tuesday

This is for a friend, though I will of course be putting it together and benching the hell out of it ;)
Any suggestions or helpful tips/tricks would be appreciated.

If you stick with this thread long enough, I plan to hook it up to phase. He has the same VapoLi setup as myself.

There are many reviews like this setup out right now, but I shall point out the differences:
1. Phenom 9600BE as opposed to the brisbane in the reviews.
2. 512mb 3450 as opposed to the 256mb in the reviews.
3. 4gigs of DDR2 1066 as opposed to 2gigs of DDR2 800 in the reviews.

The reviews tested the IGP, IGP OC'd, discreet vid card, and IGP + discreet in hybrid xfire. I plan to do IGP OC'd + discreet OC'd in hybrid xfire as well. I will of course also be testing the overclocking of cpu and ram also.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your progress reports.

That's some nice hardware, but that Big Typhoon is a bit of an old skool HSF these days. Any particular reason you went with that over something with more overclocking potential?

haven't you ever heard the term 'oldie's are goldies'

it's a proven cooler, many times over, a good foundation for good air overclocking

besides, it's temporary ;)

Wait....so the onboard ATI HD 3200 runs in XFire with that HD 3450 you bought?

If thats true, I've never seen that! Want to link me to that review too! Very interesting!

Turning off the main vga for non 3d apps on desktop and video etc. is fine I am all for it, but adding another card to play 5 year old games in hybrid crossfire or what seems pointless.

my hopes are reserved for the phenom overclockability

not only is this a new chipset, but hey, all other phenom clocks haven't been all that great

but for the owner, 4 cores at 2.3 is more than sufficient, much less if we get to 2.6

most of my hopes lay in form of being able to clock it well under phase, but that will have to wait for a new controller.....

as for the graphics, understand that the owner isn't an avid gamer, but does like quake4, doom3, and has his eye on a few of the newer games, and he wants it to run smooth at least at medium graphics at 1280x1024, as well as play HDDVD/BlueRay crystal clear as well, and this setup should do just that

his other wish is for it to be as quiet as possible, where the only thing he has to hear is the phase unit. given the parts list, the only fan necessary is the cpu, which I have no doubt will be able to be set to lowest rpm (again, till the phase is hooked up)

anything greater gained from overclocking is icing on the cake/bragging rights, and really, fun for me and info for you all ;)

The GPU is going to be the major bottleneck. Doom3 should be playable 1024x768 Medium settings with that Combo. I wouldn't have him getting over his head about Crysis or anything.

I would assume COD4 would be playable 800x600 Medium.

well, we'll find out won't we ;)

remember, none of the reviews used the 512mb version of the 3450, and none of them gave results for using hybrid xfire when both the discreet and IGP are OC'd, much less they used an X2 brisby and only 2 gigs of ddr2 800

the parts are already in the dallas area, just need to be thrown on a truck and driven to the house, hopefully i'll be putting it all together tomorrow

installation of vista 64 ultimate went perfectly, benching will begin today for base results, that is when i can get the ram to run 1066 instead of 800

that was only problem, when i set ram to 1066 in bios it froze at post screen upon reboot, so any help would be appreciated, otherwise i'll continue to tinker to figure it out

hopefully AMD Overdrive will help

i did update to the F3E bios (latest bios, that supports AOD)

From my experiance, a freeze is usually in the NB/IMC area. Lower NB divider one notch. You want to keep it below 2000 but may need to keep it below 1800.

ok, pretty sure i got hybrid crossfire working

IGP was about 1550 3dmarks in 06
Discreet was about 1800 3dmarks in 06
Hybrid was about 2600 3dmarks in 06

monitor is plugged into DVI on the discreet card

initial display device set to PEG in bios
Surround View enabled in bios

in CCC, enabled crossfire

now for overclocking.....

ok, ran Quake4 timedemo "id_perftest" using release 1.4.2

used recommended settings, adjusted only the resolution
High Quality
1280x720
45.5fps

That's everything stock (cpu and gpu's)

waiting for maybe a new bios, but definetly some better AOD support as well as rivatuner and/or atitool to update (unless someone knows of an oc tool for these gpu's) before overclocking some more, nothing is stable when oc'd, only stock runs through torture tests

Back