• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you do with extra PSU wires?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What do you do with extra PSU wires?

• Total voters
I just cut mine, granted my PSU is 5 years old.. not too worried about warranty.
my case has the WORST cable management i have EVER seen no room to hide cables anywhere (i took out a drive but i lost the front cover piece, so im not having spaghetti puke every time i open the door)

I hang them outside the case so whenever the wife gives me a hard time..... zzzzap!

But seriously, besides the fact that you can't really zap anyone with them anyway, I have the Corsair 520HX so mine are modular, I only use cables I need. I like that.

I pull out the extras like gutting a turkey, then I wear the wires in a wig, kinda like predator with his dreads, then I walk around like some alien and beat my chest in victory!

Nah really I just find spots to tuck everything away. Stupid antec 900... :bang head

-D

I just installed my abs 1300watt ps this morning, theres no modular cables and I am not about to open it and cut or un solder cables I may need for future builds, and I am to lazy for that.

I tree'd all the cables from the main mobo power supply and branched the power to each device, joining the cables to the casing with zip ties and grouping cables where needed. Air flow is maximized for proper cooling.

No one posts pictures any more. A picture can replace a thousand words and give rise to at least as many ideas--some guaranteed to be better than mine.

Anyway, here's a pic of a current (in progress) build with a Silverstone Zues ST560ZF in a Lian Li PC60b case (I like old style cases). What I did was drill a hole above the removable motherboard, insert a grommet, and route the wires around/behind where they would normally go. The wires that were/are unneeded get zip-tied out of the way and the other wires get the shortest path possible without restricting airflow to where they need to go.

I've got a couple modular PSUs in service (Corsiar HX520s) but while modular PSUs do eliminate some wiring they don't eliminate all unnecessary wiring. What you need to do is think about what connectors you need and then decide how to create them. No modular PSU can eliminate as much unnecessary hard drive power wiring as can be done with some forethought and aftermarket parts (take a look at the HD power cables here). The same can be done for all other power wiring.

Think about what you want to do, and then figure out how to do it. Don't worry about what "options" the stock PSU gives you, you own it, what do you want it to do?

Marco

Attachments

• 2009-01-28 003s.jpg
    2009-01-28 003s.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 72
i used to do that lol , until i got a Silverstone 600 WATT FULLY MODULAR! on sale =]

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

Back