• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft SQL Server vs SQL Server Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

I work for a company that sells software for people to use. My job is to install that software. SQL is required as the database for that software. Sometimes customers have SQL already installed and they have no idea what version they have. Since I want to keep what they currently have going, because they may have paid for it...

My question is this: How do you tell the difference between those M$ SQL Server (Full) and M$ SQL Server (Express).

On MySQL, the following does it. It probably works for any SQL server.
Code:
SELECT VERSION()

EDIT:

This tells me you want the following.
Code:
select @@version

That is what I have seen a lot of different places. The problem that i have is they don't install the Mgmt studio for me to write that code in.

Any other ways?

Uh, why do you need this "Management Studio" to do a query? Just connect to the server using something else. If they can't tell you what version they have, nor give you enough access (username/password/remote connection permission) to find it out yourself...

Its always nice to have the management console and admin access to sql database adding other databases in your sql without the console, well hum m, I've been unlucky wiff that. Specially if you want to add a data base server for your website (pictures,journals ect ect). Express just dont cut it.

Cant they click start, All programs and see which one they have installed?

It is more professional to be able to tell them of course....

Back