• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19" monitor next to a 24", feasable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kibokun

Right now I have a 19" craptacular monitor and I want an upgrade. :) However, I'm a programmer so I've been very intrigued by my friends with dual-monitor setups. (API documentation on one screen and code on the other? <3) I'm going to try to run the 24" as the main monitor and the 19" as the secondary. Do video cards/Operating systems usually flip out about using monitors of different sizes as long as they are the same aspect ratio?

Thanks!

Yes, you can have two completely different monitors and run different resolutions. Just enable the second monitor in Windows and set the resolution.

Did I respond fast enough for ya? :D

That Thiddy said. I have a 24" widescreen Acer running at 1920x1200 as my primary monitor (generally used for gaming), and a 17" non WS Samsung running at 1280x1024, which is generally used for browsing while gaming (like right now). All on the same card. So different aspect ratios don't even matter :)

want something truly pwn?
Buy another 19inch craptacular monitor that matches the first, and put them in a 19-24-19 configuration.

(this would satisfy my minor OCD and part time fetish for symmetry)

I use a 24 & 22 as allowed readily through windows. Until tomorrow then I'm duel 24.
I hate that one`s bigger than the other and hangs lower. Much prefer a nice pair of big ones.

(Guess for symmetry I`ll have to look to a third eye setup)

#Sid James inspiration... carry on!#

its the exact same setup as i have - 24" + 19" secondary....you can do it as long as you have two outputs on your graphics card- when u get it - take a look at dual monitor backgounds :santa:

How do you run a tri monitor setup? I have always been intrigued. Do you have to have two video cards or is there some one-to-two adapter?

In a nutshell yes you need 2 VC's, no adapters and I find it best if they match one another just to avoid performance/driver conflict issues, though that is not absolutely necessary. Drive your primary monitor off one card and then the other two off another. I have a 20-24-20 setup (actually a 720p PJ is now hooked up to the primary as well) and tho I'd love to have 3x24 or 30 even the 20's flow nicely. Aesthetically it also helps that they're all 2x05 series Dells.

How do you run a tri monitor setup? I have always been intrigued. Do you have to have two video cards or is there some one-to-two adapter?

matrox triple-head, takes the output from one card and splits it three monitors. if you wanted you could have a 4320*900 or 5040*1050 , just two of the possibilities.

Well yea, I forgot about this one so I guess there are "adapters" after all. Never used the TH myself but it was my understanding that it limits you to the same resolution on all attached monitors. Cool for some games if you have them but otherwise not very practical and just as if not more expensive as putting in a second (very good) card, not to mention to output max res that first card needs to be pretty good to begin with. Still, an option I suppose.

Well yea, I forgot about this one so I guess there are "adapters" after all. Never used the TH myself but it was my understanding that it limits you to the same resolution on all attached monitors. Cool for some games if you have them but otherwise not very practical and just as if not more expensive as putting in a second (very good) card, not to mention to output max res that first card needs to be pretty good to begin with. Still, an option I suppose.

its not a adapter per say more like a converter box
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40209-_-VideoDevicesTVTuners-_-L3D-_-15106011

that would more or less be for someone big into drive sim's or airplane sims, hell even boat or train sims. would be kinda cool to be playing Grid at 4800*900 or soem other such 16:9 res with almost a 90 degree viewing.

In a nutshell yes you need 2 VC's, no adapters and I find it best if they match one another just to avoid performance/driver conflict issues, though that is not absolutely necessary. Drive your primary monitor off one card and then the other two off another. I have a 20-24-20 setup (actually a 720p PJ is now hooked up to the primary as well) and tho I'd love to have 3x24 or 30 even the 20's flow nicely. Aesthetically it also helps that they're all 2x05 series Dells.

Can't you just have a decent card + a crappy PCI card; it's not like you're gonna play crysis at max res on the side monitors.

Can't you just have a decent card + a crappy PCI card; it's not like you're gonna play crysis at max res on the side monitors.
You most certainly can, as a matter of fact in pre-PCIe days that's what I used to have and it worked nicely. But. Today monitors are much bigger, the UI's much more elaborate and generally all the graphics do require much more juice than they used to. And PCIe cards capable of delivering adequate desktop performance in such scenario can be had for peanuts really. I mean 50 bucks and you're good to go.

You can always rotate the 19" LCD into portrait mode which is much better for viewing lists and webpages.

Might be closer to the same height as the 24" as well.

Back