• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b question about UPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantom3000

Registered
what are UPS for :D
And if they are what i think they are(some kind of batteries that keap ya computer turned on for few minutes during blackout)
and what wattage should i use on UPS for my 1050w enermax 85+ PSU
I heard that they are protecting ya computer from lightning shocks (where i live it is a lot of lightning storms so i think i need it)

Brown delivers

I have some here at work. They last for four hours. They are about two shoe boxes big.

I think what you are talking about are those backup surge protectors. Some have longer battery life than others. They are for your computer incase of a blackout so your computer will not just turn off. It also protects your computer from sudden electric surges that might take out your whole computer.

And if they are what i think they are(some kind of batteries that keap ya computer turned on for few minutes during blackout)
I heard that they are protecting ya computer from lightning shocks (where i live it is a lot of lightning storms so i think i need it)
An Uninterruptible power supply (UPS), also known as a battery back-up, provides emergency power and, depending on the topology, line regulation as well to connected equipment by supplying power from a separate source when utility power is not available. It differs from an auxiliary or emergency power system or standby generator, which does not provide instant protection from a momentary power interruption. A UPS, however, can be used to provide uninterrupted power to equipment, typically for 5–15 minutes until an auxiliary power supply can be turned on, utility power restored, or equipment safely shut down.

While not limited to safeguarding any particular type of equipment, a UPS is typically used to protect computers, data centers, telecommunication equipment or other electrical equipment where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss. UPS units come in sizes ranging from units which will back up a single computer without monitor (around 200 VA) to units which will power entire data centers, buildings, or even an entire city[1]. (several megawatts).

from wikipedia tahts what UPS units are for.

how long do you need it to stay on once the power goes out?

An Uninterruptible power supply (UPS), also known as a battery back-up, provides emergency power and, depending on the topology, line regulation as well to connected equipment by supplying power from a separate source when utility power is not available. It differs from an auxiliary or emergency power system or standby generator, which does not provide instant protection from a momentary power interruption. A UPS, however, can be used to provide uninterrupted power to equipment, typically for 5–15 minutes until an auxiliary power supply can be turned on, utility power restored, or equipment safely shut down.

While not limited to safeguarding any particular type of equipment, a UPS is typically used to protect computers, data centers, telecommunication equipment or other electrical equipment where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss. UPS units come in sizes ranging from units which will back up a single computer without monitor (around 200 VA) to units which will power entire data centers, buildings, or even an entire city[1]. (several megawatts).

from wikipedia tahts what UPS units are for.

how long do you need it to stay on once the power goes out?
just too let me to save game/work and turn off computer(it waists 600w idle i think ) so what wattage is needed???

I'm pretty sure if your computer draws 1000 watts (max), then you need a 1000+ watts UPS. If it is too small, it will not be able to deliver the current, and won't do jack for you.

I think. That's what I gathered when people wrote poor reviews about a cheap UPS; it's because they had a full computer + screen + who knows, on a 255 watt UPS.

They're a pretty nice thing to have. Sort of depends on your experiences with the power company's service and also the regional weather and potential for outages. They also protect from "brown outs". I'd atleast recommend everyone to get a small one that will atleast shut your pc down safely. :)

That is its entire function. To maintain power so that data is not lost. Many have heard urban myths. Then automatically believed those myths. Myths include protecting hardware from surges or protecting hardware for damage by brownouts. Neither exist. But so many only know because that is what they were told . Did not confirm hearsay by viewing manufacturer specs.

A typical computer consumes less than 200 watts. Instantaneous peaks never exceed 300 watts. A 300 watt UPS would be more than sufficient. However most UPSes are so cheaply made that the battery costs almost as much as the entire UPS. These batteries also have a typical three year life expectancy. So the 300 watt UPS really means buying a 500 or 600 watt UPS.

Do you have critical data not saved on disk? Then the UPS would be useful. For most people, that UPS has little value. The UPS inside a laptop computer does everything, but better.

And finally, power output by a UPS in battery backup mode is some of the 'dirtiest' a computer will see. So dirty as to be potentially harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. Since computers are so robust, that 'dirty' UPS power is not harmful to any computer.

Not sure what your referencing all that info from, a typical computer around these parts pulls much more than 200 watts :)

:beer:

I idle at 274 anyway.

Use one of these myself, but that's me I guess are plenty of cheaper ones around too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101067&Tpk=APC 1500LCD

Clearwater is pretty lighting prone, so I insured our little network here a bit.

Hence the names Tampa bay Lightning, Storm, etc. Get thunderstorm almost daily roving about this time of the year.

Last edited:
Just as ricflairw000/Wikipedia says. If the mains power drops to a low voltage ("Brownout"), jumps a high voltage ("power spike") or cuts completely, a UPS will smooth out the highs and lows and will kick in if the power cuts completely.

The size you should get depends on:
  • the power the computer comsumes;
  • how long you would like the system to run in a power cut;
  • Possible upgrades and extra kit you may be considering for the future;
  • cost.

You said that you have a 1000w psu. This doesn't really help by itself. Giving us a run-down of your computer's specs would be a big help.

Phantom,

I use a 390 watt APC ES650 on this rig. You need to cover what your rig uses, not what your power supply is. Keep in mind that they won't protect you from a direct hit lightning strike that is very close to you. Best thing to do in a heavy thunder storm is shut down, pull the plugs on everything connected to your computer and disconnect your cable line until it's over.

However, they will shut you down automatically with a power out or a surge if you're not there and it will tell you when you're having one. You can set that up in your software. The UPS's are very usefull.

PS: Don't plug a laser printer into the surge protection battery side. :D

EDIT: Neon, thank you, yes, battery side! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, a direct strike will fry everything, I just leave mine on 24/7 most the time, and like having what's on here for when I'm at work.

I'd have to reread it again but I'm pretty sure APC has a bit of an "we'll replace it if damage occurs clause" to a certain amount in there.

Not that I want to try that one out :)

:beer:

Last edited:
Back