• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 sound problems, windows sounds work but nothing else

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

So I just noticed after 2 weeks of running windows 7 on my HP Dv9500 Laptop that all the windows sounds work but on youtube or any kind of internet site with sound it doesn't work. Any ideas to this one?

Check to see if internet explorer is muted, click on your little speaker by the clock and click mixer. Make sure internet explorer volume is turned up. A mate of mine had the same problem and needed to uninstall then install adobe flash playerb again.

Under mixer I have 2 options. Device and applications and both are turned up.

Try playing a youtube video and then looking while its playing. It should already be turned up tho. Other than that and reinstalling flash player I'm really not sure as the rest of your system sounds seem to be working?

Download the Sound.txt file I've uploaded, save it to your Desktop w/ a *.reg extension, then double click it to merge it into your registry.

Attachments

• Sound.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 6,753
Ok so I have another sound windows 7 problem. A different computer this time. The speaker volume even when maxed out is extremely low. It doesn't matter if its a windows sound or a youtube video you can barely hear it. If i hook the same speakers up to another computer they work just fine.

on my HP Laptop all the windows sounds work but any kind of media player(windows media player , VLC etc) doesn't work. Any ideas to this problem?

ok im kinda new to computers.. i downloaded the file like you said.. but i don't know exactly how to do the next steps.. can you dumb it down for a rookie lol? Sorry if this is totally pathetic.. but im super frusturated with my new computer.. and I just want this fixed

ok im kinda new to computers.. i downloaded the file like you said.. but i don't know exactly how to do the next steps.. can you dumb it down for a rookie lol? Sorry if this is totally pathetic.. but im super frusturated with my new computer.. and I just want this fixed

Simple:

- Open the sound.txt file in notepad.exe
- Don't make any changes to the file
- Go to File -> Save As
- Click on the "Save as type:" pull down menu that appears on the pop-up.
- Select "All files (*.*)"
- Name the file "sound.reg" and save to your desktop
- Close notepad.exe
- Go to your desktop
- Double click on the sound.reg file you just saved.
- Click OK on the pop-up window.
Done.

I have the same problem, I think. Pandora sound works, windows sounds work, skype and xfinity player both do not work. I followed the instructions exactly and still no fix, i also un-install and re-installed flash player and still, no fix.

doesnt work for me :/ i have same problems nothing but system sound works and it says something about audio playback errors. i tried doing the sound. thing already and it still does not work. i checked volume mixer and everything i can't troubleshoot and run certain programs to troubleshoot. idk. need help

Back