• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geeks.com, 24" HP LP2465

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

Geeks.com, 24" HP LP2465 (Now FREE SHIPPING) 179.99$ S-PVA PANEL

24" HP LP2465 Dual DVI 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor w/USB 2.0 Hub (Silver/Black) -Rotates to Portrait or Landscape View!

This monitor is a 24" monitor with an S-PVA panel and a 6ms gtg. It will best current generation TN panels in all but the gtg and response time. But, having seen many pva panels from this time frame, they are wonderful. Some of the best monitors around even to this day, in fact, this is one of those monitors they don't make like they used to...

While I listed it as it's listed, the 1080p is incorrect. It displays at 1920x1200 (though it is capable of 1080 and a lot of people are after that!) I bought 2!

Also for free shipping, use coupon code "FREESHIP".

Last edited:
The only thing that makes me nervous about buying a display from geeks is their disclaimer:
# Disclosures:
# LCD displays may have cosmetic imperfections that appear as small bright or dark spots. This is common to all LCD displays used in products by all vendors and is not specific to any vendor or brand. Below are the acceptable amounts of "dot defects" for LCD displays that we sell:

# 20-Inch to 24-Inch:
# Total Defects: 8
# Bright or Dark Dots (random): 4
# Bright or Dark Dots (2 adjacent): 2
# Bright or Dark Dots (3 adjacent): 0
# Minimum distance between defects: 15mm (bright to bright dots)
# Minimum distance between defects: 5mm (dark to dark dots)

I've heard horror stories about some being B or even C stock with bad spots on the screen and they would refuse a return.

I'll be sure to update if my experience is bad. Worst case: I'll have to take 15% hit, and even still I'll fight tooth and nail to get my money back if I get garbage. Any company that basically expects thier customers to anticipate garbage is just plain retarded. But we'll see! If I get pure gold, I'll order a third. If I get junk, they're going back and I'll order from newegg as they're still only 210$ there... 25$ more for a pair.

Of course, after I bought a 22" Viewsonic and specifically settled for a non tilting portrait monitor even though I wanted one.

Geeks is fine for smaller, inexpesnive stuff. No chance I'd ever buy something worth more than $20 from them though since most of those items are refurbs. :p

Geeks is fine for smaller, inexpesnive stuff. No chance I'd ever buy something worth more than $20 from them though since most of those items are refurbs. :p

Yeah, me neither. 8ms refresh rate is horrible though, not a very good gaming monitor.

The same model is available at newegg for $206 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176144&Tpk=lp2465

Be warned: There are a lot of reports of horribly poor packaging and DOA monitors. You can return DOA monitors for a replacement, but it's annoyingly inconvenient. Considering the reports of peoples monitors dying within the first month, I'd be inclined to pay the $27 for an extra 1 year warranty.

Yeah, me neither. 8ms refresh rate is horrible though, not a very good gaming monitor.

8ms on an s-pva is acceptable. It looks cleaner and faster than my tn panels (or I should say pva panels with a refresh rate identical to this). With that said, I'd rather have accurate than fast and ugly. =)

Not near as bad as you'd think. Response time is one of those things that mattered back when LCDs were new and refresh rates were like 30ms and when the refresh rate was measured in a reasonable manner. Most manufacturers do everything they can to fudge refresh rates and contrast ratios until the value means absolutely nothing in terms of real world performance.

I've done testing on a number of monitors, many of which were 24" PVA/MVA panels. I didn't test this model, but I tested the Dell 2407 and 2408 which use the same panel type. Absolutely no noticeable ghosting even in fast paced gaming. And it makes sense that there wouldn't be. A posted response time of 8ms means that each pixel should be capable of changing color 125 times per second. The refresh rate of the display is 60Hz. This means the individual pixels are able to change colors twice as fast as your video card is able to send the signal to the monitor to change the color.

Any ghosting on a recent model, reputable brand monitor is pretty much guaranteed to be your imagination.

Not near as bad as you'd think. Response time is one of those things that mattered back when LCDs were new and refresh rates were like 30ms and when the refresh rate was measured in a reasonable manner. Most manufacturers do everything they can to fudge refresh rates and contrast ratios until the value means absolutely nothing in terms of real world performance.

I've done testing on a number of monitors, many a few of which were 24" PVA/MVA panels. I didn't test this model, but I tested the Dell 2407 and 2408 which use the same panel type. Absolutely no noticeable ghosting even in fast paced gaming. And it makes sense that there wouldn't be. A posted response time of 8ms means that each pixel should be capable of changing color 125 times per second. The refresh rate of the display is 60Hz. This means the individual pixels are able to change colors twice as fast as your video card is able to send the signal to the monitor to change the color.

Any ghosting on a recent model, reputable brand monitor is pretty much guaranteed to be your imagination.

Yep ghosting was a problem with LCD's that cost an arm and a leg. When I bought my 17" monitors and those were the day and age's 22" monitor. 250$ each for 1280x1024

I like Compgeeks but one thing I wouldn't buy from them is a monitor; unless it was new. Theres a few other things on my don't buy list, like 'refurbished' Harmony remotes, been there done that, won't do it again. Buying a bricked remote that shouldn't have ever been for sale and all...

Speaking of monitors, a buddy of mine owed me money and for some reason he paid me back with a Best Buy gift card. ~I shook my head and laughed, but once in the store I considered buying a LED LCD >23" to replace my Samsung 22" and my DELL Ultrasharp 20"

Naturally I rearranged all the monitors on their shelves so I could get better side by side comparisons. (and since I knew I was going to a BestBuy, I wore my Newegg hat and shirt lol) I had my heart set on a LED, but the LG 23" W2340VG was clearly the best monitor they had, this LCD has a picture much nicer than all the LED monitors, and it was $100 cheaper at around $200. It also has a MUCH better picture than my Dell Ultrasharp, which surprised me. Even has HDMI connectors when BestBuy says it doesn't....

This monitor does have it's downsides. The glossy screen may not be good for everyone, for me, its perfect as no direct sun will hit the screen. The stand on this LG is an absolute joke, as the monitor seems to wobble, and to make matters worse, it has no VESA mounting holes so I could use a better monitor stand. ~I almost returned it for this wobble BS, but the picture is so nice I made a battle plan.
I ordered this Monorprice mount and this VESA 200 plate. Even though this monitor has no mounting options, affixing a VESA plate on it with industrial Velcro is the plan, so by next week, this W2340VG will have a new stand. BestBuy sells it from time to time as low as $179. As far as picture quality goes, it's easily the best computer monitor I've owned. It kicks my Dell Ultrasharp's *** in that area, which was surprising :shock:

I was going to list the Dell Ultrasharp in the classifieds, but someone has one listed and I think mines nicer, so I'll list mine later after his sells. I'll do some kind of crazy sale; something along the lines of: Buy my Dell Ultrasharp, get a free Samsung LCD with your order :D

Gotta do something as my home office will be like Sanford and Sons if I keep collecting lcd monitors. The ones below have got to go, I'll put them in the classifieds soon

Attachments

• LCDs.JPG
    LCDs.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,033
you musta been that guy at the best buy here.

as for geeks, nothing but problems from them when ever i buy something, i since dont buy any thing from them. i've had alot of refurbs not work, then they dont have any to replace with what i bought to give it another go and then they tell me they can only give me store credit after the fact they messed up several times, DOA unit, insufficient stock and customer service sucks balls there

Deal just got sweeter, now with freeshipping if you use coupon code "FREESHIP".

FWIW I bought a refurb monitor from them about a year ago, and it's been working fine. I think it has one dead pixel. It wasn't packed well though, that's for sure.

you musta been that guy at the best buy here.

as for geeks, nothing but problems from them when ever i buy something, i since dont buy any thing from them. i've had alot of refurbs not work, then they dont have any to replace with what i bought to give it another go and then they tell me they can only give me store credit after the fact they messed up several times, DOA unit, insufficient stock and customer service sucks balls there

That's why I stopped buying there. It seems lately, you have a better chance at eBay than at the geeks. So many recent things arriving DOA, items tagged as new arriving as obvious refurbs, paying fees on returns for dead items, etc. I just decided to stop shopping there and take my chances at eBay where the success rate is better than geeks.

I have only one experience at geeks.com and that was buying a 105$ GTX260. It's still in use. I'm expecting two good condition dead pixel free monitors... or something so badly broken it has to be replaced. Who knows, though. I can only hope!

that being said, shipping with geeks is terrible. I did at first pay for shipping but geeks is kind enough to refund that shipping to me especially given all the confusion caused.

Back