• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi Adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Have a HP laptop and it has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter it sucks. Speed is awful. I have tried getting latest drivers and still sucks. How do I go about replacing ( if possible ) with a proven wifi adapter?
I plugged in Internet cable and get great speeds. Have another laptop right next to HP and it gets great speeds. :screwy:

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC00817.JPG
    DSC00817.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,331
The wires just pull off :)

Just make sure you put 'em back in the same spot.
But yeah, I'm unsure of a good mini pcie adapter for you..

You have to be careful because sometimes the laptop may have a whitelist of adapters it will recognize. There is a chance that OEM wifi card may not be on that white list. I have a lenovo y510p and I tried upgrading the wifi with that very same intel AC wifi card and that model is whitelisted, so it will not work unless I hack the BIOS, which I'm afraid of doing while under warranty as it will void it.

Try searching for an approved list of wifi cards that work. Is that a b/g/n wifi card? One way to tell if it can take another brand/chip wifi is to look at HP's driver downloads and see if they have drivers for a different model wifi adapter.

Contacted HP. They say this laptop wifi adapter is suppose to have only the 1 wire going from it. They say it is a software problem. Will try one more time removing drivers and doing a reinstall. The new adapter arrives Thursday.

I swapped the WiFi card on my Asus within the first week of owning it. I got an Intel card with 802.11 a/b/g/n & Bluetooth. Made a huge difference for me. The only things to look for is:
1) The features that you want in a card
2) The proper adapter format and
3) Drivers for the OS you are using.

It's really easy. For your machine, you only have one wire. You can go about this in two ways:
1) Look for an adapter with only one radio
2) Get another antenna from fleabay. The antenna goes up into the top of the monitor when open or right in the hinge. Again, not that hard just time consuming. Plan to spend half a day watching YouTube to learn how to take everything apart.

Back