• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye, AMD FASN8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SOB! :mad: Who the hell is gonna pay $3k for a chip? Looks like I'll have to enjoy my relic for a while longer. No upgrade path for me in sight :rolleyes:

SOB! :mad: Who the hell is gonna pay $3k for a chip? Looks like I'll have to enjoy my relic for a while longer. No upgrade path for me in sight :rolleyes:

O there is to you just might cant see it right now I already do...

I may keep this opty rig or have a am2 BE set-up but for sure I can see me converting already after reading that.

Regardless of having a gaming rig I need PPD.

Still waiting to see how AM2+ performs its not to great IMO I can super pi just about the same

275SECS.jpg

Very counters intuitive move, especially when they have an Nvidia killer in the chipset department. The Quadfather boards were dead in the water because of the hog of a chipset. It was inefficient, ate a lot of power and also ran rather hot.

I don't see why they should abandon this line of work? After all, it makes SO MUCH sense from a business perspective and almost guarantees to be a good money spinner. :bang head

I hear ya jonspd, but still a dumbass move on AMD's part :-/

S-N, You're absolutely right. I couldn't agree more.

Oh well, I'm not gonna sweat it. I knew all along something was gonna tip the boat over. I refuse to make an intel rig :mad:

Very counters intuitive move, especially when they have an Nvidia killer in the chipset department. The Quadfather boards were dead in the water because of the hog of a chipset. It was inefficient, ate a lot of power and also ran rather hot.

I don't see why they should abandon this line of work? After all, it makes SO MUCH sense from a business perspective and almost guarantees to be a good money spinner. :bang head

It is not the chipset, the latency comes from the design that processors pull data through HT from the other processor's ram, unfortunate that it basically killed the whole thing in most cases. The chipset was crap anyway, but only because they used two of it.

As things look like I think it was a good decision, they need to concentrate to be back in the game, until then it won't do them much good to get beaten by single intel procs.

Hopefully with bulldozer they can dust off the plans.

SOB! Who the hell is gonna pay $3k for a chip? Looks like I'll have to enjoy my relic for a while longer. No upgrade path for me in sight

Who the hell paid few times that much for cards like the Tesla now, years ago ? Universities, they wrote the software in house for the project anyway and if it is massively paralellised could get the performance of a rackmount with the fragment of the runnig cost.

That's why I waited this FASN8 platform and the so long ago promised RV670 like processors to sit in the second socket tap into HT and give unseen performance. Seems it's gonna take few more years.

Looks like two sets of skulls and cross bones. One is vapor the other is too !&@%ing expensive. In a way, AMD is making a smart move when it comes to finance, the enthusiast market including it's top reviewers have thrown crap at them for not beating Intel. The first 4x4 got such bad press, I'm surprised Fasn8 was even conceived with the heat and power issues. I think skullT is going to see similar criticism but not as bad with the heat.

I did not mention latencies in my post. My perspective was from an energy consumption standpoint. The NVidia chipset ran hot, consumed a lot of energy and from reports I have seen, was a bit of a dog when it came to performance.

Sigh..............................

Cant we AMD fans get ANY good news? Its just ONE let down after another...

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hopefully this will be like your typical movie. The darkside is winning and somehow the good guy comes back and is victorious.

I used to be one hardy Intel fan when I was in highschool / had money. Now that I'm on college with bills to pay, I wish AMD was still with it.

Sigh..............................

Cant we AMD fans get ANY good news? Its just ONE let down after another...

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

ya serious, im not even a big fan of amd and this is not good news, so essientally amd has haulted any further thinking or future chips that are dual cores... WHY WHY WHY!

this sucks big time!

AMD is slowly rolling downhill... They've made a few stupid moves before and this is just another stupid one. Where will it end?
If they want to sell their chips they have to come up with something new... and I don't see that happening.

There is still some stuff that has to be worked out before we see what's all new on the plater.

Ultra, I'm not sure about stupid for killing the DS platform but maybe stupid for doing it in the first place. That research should have been on Barcelona at that time. Intel was already showing that it was going to break out the clock when this platform was announced. Now they have to kill off all these projects and are stuck trying to clean up a mess.

On the plus side AMD still has a strong DC lineup and Quads have been reported to be moving to the better. I think the 7xx Spider is going to be a winner and will only be overchadowed by the neha platform schedule not until late 2008. Barcelona is moving on stronger but still on the heals of Zeon.

good news and bad news, bad news its not coming out and that hurts the enthusiest market. good news, cause now the can use that extra man power and cash on developing and retuning the K10's and dozer.

FASN8 and Quadfather should never have been launched in the first place,this move was inevitable on AMD's part.They simply cant afford the RnD on this project.They are so far cash strapped,it just doesn't make any sense to keep it going.

Who cares about this. I mean come on guys there is no reason for this platform to see the light of day. High power consumption, lousy performance, and high costs. 90% of apps out there can't even take advantage of a dual core properly let alone a single or Dual Quad Core. Cut AMD some slack they are trying. At this point AMD is not interested in the performance crown, but solid mid range products and lower prices to re-coup some cash and to turn a profit.

Too early to listen to doom seers.

Once we see the platform builders catch up with real bios... It will compete.

Back