• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please look over and offer advice -1st WC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imp999

I'm a Soldier returning from a tour in Iraq and I decided my AMD FX-55 PC needed an overhaul. This is my 1st and a half attempt at a WC system, the first attempt being a Zalman kit (I know). So, I've been painstakingly re-acquainting myself with the changes since I last built a computer. This time around I want to do it right, from the start. I've begun ordering the various PC components, but since I am not yet back in the States I can't give you the ambient/idle/load temps for obvious reasons. I am going to hold off on buying the WC components until I get the blessing of my more experienced comrades. Budget isn't a big issue, as I said I want it done right, but I'm not looking for extreme performance either.

Here is what I am looking for in my LCS:
-Achieve an acceptable level of overclock at a low noise level, however Performance still trumps Noise.
-Cool CPU/GPUs, if feasible everything else.
-Prefer all internal WC, as such I don't think the case will allow dual-loop (space-permitting I would like to fit it in).

The components of my PC:
-Corsair 800D Full Tower Case
-Core i7 920
-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 x58 mobo
-Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB TR3X6G1600C8D
-Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD
-2x EVGA GTX 285 1GB (01G-P3-1180-AR) in SLI
-CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready

The case has space for a top-mounted 120x3 rad and comes with 3x140mm built-in fans (space for 7 fans total).

Currently what I am looking at component wise:
Reservoir: Syscooling ART11 Transparent Long Reservoir 275mm, 50mm diameter 3/8" ID fittings
Pump: DD / Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version
CPU Block: Koolance CPU-350 (although I'm concerned with its flow restriction if it will hamper the GPUs on a single-loop)
GPU Block: 2x DD-GTX285 Version 2
Radiator: #1: XSPC RX360 w/ 3x Yate Loon Mediums #2: Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 140 w/ case stock fan
Liquid: Distilled water + PHN Nuke
Tubing:Tygon 3603 tubing 3/8" ID
Clamps: I would like to use compression fittings throughout

My plan for the loop is Res>Pump>Rad#2>CPU>GPUs>Rad#1>Res (This seems to be the most practical, without having tubes going all over the case, however I'm not sure it is the most efficient for cooling)

Would someone with more experience look this over, shoot holes in it and add their two cents?

I am leaving from work but will chime in later about details on your setup (first glance looks solid). I just wanted to say THANK YOU for being a soldier and doing your job over there. I couldnt do it.

Welcome!

I assume you are on a 24" 1920x1080/1200 or greater monitor to fully utilize those beasts of GPU's you have listed?

i don't know how you will get both rads in there without some modding, but the parts list looks good.

i would change out the block for the Swiftech GTZ, Dtek Fuzion v2 or Heat killer since its a decent size loop and the 350 is the most restrictive block on the market i believe.

and ditch the res and replace it with this res top for the pump to increase the pumps performance and gives you some more space.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/xsretopforla.html

or if you want to keep that res, then get this top for the pump

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwaekx.html

hey EarthDog, What's the difference? You're their all-time best seller.

What for a 24" monitor? THe difference is anything less than that will rely more on the CPU and is a more of a waste of money. The res a 24" or greater offers will really utilize the horsepower of those cards.

I run a GTX260 216 at stock settings and it runs 99% of my games with 16XAF and 2-4XAA @ 1920x1080.

no, i just noticed your sig, seinfeld quote. that was riley's response. i love that show, my all time favorite. i watch at least 2 a day. own all the dvd's and have them ripped to my media pc, and even a few on my phone :)

Dude first off thanks for your service. i spent a tour in iraq myself.

The components of my PC:
-Corsair 800D Full Tower Case
-Core i7 920
-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 x58 mobo
-Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB TR3X6G1600C8D
-Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD
-2x EVGA GTX 285 1GB (01G-P3-1180-AR) in SLI
-CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready

i like the choice in hardware here. might i make a simple suggestion regarding your SSD. i would go with the Intel drive over the patriot.

the warranty is un beatable and the performance is amazing. Toms hardware shows it as the undisputed king.

Ok so with those changes in mind:

Reservoir: XSPC restop
CPU Block: HK 3.0
GPU Block: 2x DD-GTX285 Version 2
Radiator: #1: XSPC RX360 w/ 3x Yate Loon Mediums #2: Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 140(x1) w/ case stock fan
Liquid: Distilled water + PHN Nuke
Tubing:Tygon 3603 tubing 3/8" ID
Clamps: compression fittings throughout

Earthdog, I'm glad you brought that up. I've got 3x 24" monitors and to my understanding SLI only supports 2 monitors right now, so I think I'm going to have to add in another video card. Any recommendations for the card and how to fit it into the loop?

Based solely on images released of the 800D case, does a dual-loop seem feasible? Again I'd like to remain all internal, but can make a concession here or there if needed.

I have the same pump and restop combination, you wont be disapointed, saves space, and makes filling up really easy

Reservoir: XSPC restop

btw: 3 * 24" screens, im jelous lol , i only have 2 * 17"

+1 thats def gona be a beast of a machine :D

SLI is odd. I've messed with it a bit, my GPUs are in my sig. When I'm not gaming I turn SLI off. I run two monitors, a 22 and 24. They both are independant in non-SLI. When you turn SLI on the second monitor can only be used in mirror mode or some unacceptable thing like that, so no go on a map link, help file etc on the second monitor while you play on the primary. If your running 3 monitors and ONLY use the main for gaming, you could put both secondary monitors on the third GPU.

Maybe it's fixed now with new drivers, I haven't bothered working on the SLI problem in a while, not playing anything where I even need SLI now.

Pretty sure its not intel, its the retailers. Not that it really makes any difference I guess, but the price will drop again once supply is up.

Yes its the E-Tailers screwing things up. Intel's price has nto changed and everyone is trying to make extra money.

If i want a water cooling system shall i copy him or could someone reccommend a kit for me thats under $250 or 150 pounds

If you copy my setup, it's going to be well over that price limit, especially if using FC GPU blocks, two of which max your limit.

Back