• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel AND Amd motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a noob and have a probably very basic question. I am wondering if they make any motherboards that support both amd/intel cpus? Is that possible?

I've been upgrading my computer a bit, and apparently before I overclock my FX 6300 I need a new motherboard as mine is not so good. So I thought if I could find a motherboard that I could 1) use to overclock my fx 6300 and 2) leave me room to maybe upgrade to a higher end intel chip eventually that would be totally awesome!

Sorry tedmann12 but that would be no. They are not at all compatible with each other.

Ok thanks, I figured as much.

I guess I will just eventually get a new one and if/when I upgrade get an better AMD processor.

Tedman, it's just an issue that the architectures do not align. Their Binary flow is completely different and the chips that support the motherboard would have to have additional capacity that would just take transistors away from actual computing. This kind of over-compatibility would end up costing more and taking away from performance. It just does not compute hehe.

Yeah it was a long time ago, they did make them though!

The arch differences now I would assume to be too great to integrate :shrug:

Back