• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately I am not sure what the stock voltage on the ram speed is suppose to be. I am not really able to find out either. It was purchased from 1-800-4memory without my knowledge of it ( it was a surprise gift). There is no manufactures name anywhere on the ram, packaging of the ram, or pcwizard. So the best I can go by is the 1.84v that was decided I suppose by the system bios.

Colton,

I think we are getting confused by using your sig's stats and not what you are trying to fix. My apologies. Johnz knows what he's doing so I'll not "butt-in" aside from trying to find stats for you guys. If it's generic memory, it's normally a little less voltage that the premium. Many generics list voltage in Newegg. I'm sure Johnz and you have tried to find something there.

There is no manufactures name anywhere on the ram, packaging of the ram, or pcwizard. So the best I can go by is the 1.84v that was decided I suppose by the system bios.

You should be safe at 1.92V then. It's probably 1.8V default. There's always the chance something will break, but a .12V increase is fairly conservative.

I can give you any information you need. But there is no given manufacture for the ram.

Colton,

Johnz has you covered with what he suggested.

I figured I upped the voltage from 1.84v to 1.92v and will rerun memtest. Tomorrow if there is still many errors I will try swapping out sticks to try and find which ones are possibly defective. Sadly, there is no chance for an RMA given that It was bought from 1-800-4memory, not that I'm sure that if given the chance to RMA I would from that company.

Rams quite cheap now. Unless money's super tight, it might be better to save the headache of trying to rma, and just get new ram.

When you swap out sticks, make sure you do it methodically. It can get confusing remembering what worked when. Start off by removing all but 1 stick, and test that. If you get even 1 error, you can pull that out and test another. Keep doing that until you have all sticks tested. Let it run overnight for each stick if necessary. If it goes overnight without error, you can assume that stick's good.

I was just reviewing the posts and I noticed this...

"At the bottom it shows the timings 5-0-5-5-10"

Is that right? If that's what it says, set the timings to 5-5-5-5-15 and see if you still get errors(the idea is to get rid of that 0)

Christ almighty! I went from 30 errors from the first memtest to 2300 errors. This is after upping the voltage.

Edit: in response to changing the timings. I misread the timings it says 5.0-5-5-10.

Well, the number of errors doesn't matter so much, 1 is too many. Did you see my post above yours regarding timings?

Well, the number of errors doesn't matter so much, 1 is too many. Did you see my post above yours regarding timings?

Yes my last post was already edited. I misread the timings were 5.0-5-5-10.

I'd make the 10 a 12 or 15. I don't think it'll help, but it won't hurt to try. Drop your voltage back to default, and start testing the ram 1 stick at a time.

Quick question before I start testing ram. How come damaged ram is still recognized by the computer? Shouldn't damaged ram show up as less than 1gb?

I think it reads the data from the sticks, so it could be worthless, but it'll report what it was manufactured to be.

ughhh. My computer wont turn on now it gives 3 beeps and the monitor stays blank but wont turn on. I know its something to do with the ram. What could i have done to it?

Reseating ram worked. You guys are the best! thanks for all the help.

So far first 2 sticks come up clean ran memtest for 2 hours on each of them.

Cool... I'd let them run longer, but 2 hours isn't too bad. At least you know you'll have an operational computer, even if you can't use all your ram.

Back