• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU + Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so I know that this is new tech and I may not get a good answer but thats ok! I recently got an A8 setup for my wife with a 6670 and the performance is quite nice. However, we were curious if anyone knows about mixed crossfire. So basically can we add a second 6670 without loosing the APUs gfx(as that would invalidate having an APU)?

umm i havnt dealt with the A8's but i dont think you can and plus doesnt the FM1 boards only have 1 Pci express slot they have multiple pci slots but all ive ever seen is a single slot pci express board

If your asking if you can combine the APU and 6670 in CF then no you cannot combine graphic of APU and GPU for better performance.

Now if your asking if you can still use the APU graphics on one monitor and the GPU on another monitor then yes you should be able to do that.

If your asking if you can combine the APU and 6670 in CF then no you cannot combine graphic of APU and GPU for better performance.

Now if your asking if you can still use the APU graphics on one monitor and the GPU on another monitor then yes you should be able to do that.

Incorrect the 6670 is the highest card that APUs can crossfire with, that much I already knew. The question is about using multiple 6670s and still keeping the APUs cores in the picture.

Incorrect the 6670 is the highest card that APUs can crossfire with, that much I already knew. The question is about using multiple 6670s and still keeping the APUs cores in the picture.

I am interested in this too. My guess is it would treat it as a triple crossfire setup, but that is only a guess. You could call AMD support with the question and find out. I am sure they'll be willing to give the info. Tell me what you find out.

-Doc

I am interested in this topic as well. One thing for everyone to keep in mind: IF they are releasing motherboards that can only hold one specific chip, and they are adding 2 PCI-Express slots, dont you think that they would have to have some sort of support for 3-way Crossfire? Of course, there is a chance the slot could be used for something like a networking/sound card... but the way they space them out looks like it was created to fit 2 large (graphics) cards.

Last edited:
I know some fm1 boards support apu+gpu crossfire, but my question is if they support apu+gpu+gpu 3-way crossfire.

I've heard of hybrid crossfire (such as the APU/6670 combo) and I've heard of Tri-Fire.

What I haven't seen any of (either APU/GPU/GPU or GPU/GPU/GPU) is hybrid Tri-Fire.

My gut feeling is no. The APUs aren't designed for top-end gaming rigs anyway, which is why the 6670 is the fastest that the A6/A8 will hybrid CrossFire with.

A 6670/6670 CrossFire ought to still be an improvement, though.

EDIT: Also, the APU/GPU combo is called Dual Graphics and there's no mention of it working with a three way set-up: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/Pages/dual-graphics.aspx#4

I'm with David on this one. The APUs aren't setup to have multiple GPUs, they are really meant to be the all around "Hey you don't need a GPU, but if you have one we can use it" kind of processor.

Just built an fm1 system afaik I believe it uses a different setup for crossfire, but some boards use the "hybrid graphics" which assist crossfire setups.

1. Hybrid CrossFire X is only available on 790GX, 780G, 760G, 785G, and 880G and 890GX chipsets.

umm i havnt dealt with the A8's but i dont think you can and plus doesnt the FM1 boards only have 1 Pci express slot they have multiple pci slots but all ive ever seen is a single slot pci express board.Now pockie pirates forum is open, we hope you can dive into the forum and discuss whatever you got on your mind.
crossfire,i know little about this.give me more suggestions

Last edited:
Just built an fm1 system afaik I believe it uses a different setup for crossfire, but some boards use the "hybrid graphics" which assist crossfire setups.

Hybrid CrossfireX would be combining a GPU with an onboard video chipset. AMD Dual Graphics is combining a GPU with the APU.

Why they needed to change the name and make things confusing, no idea. :shrug:

Updated Clarification

Okay, so for others that have come across this later on, as I have, here is some solid info. There is a lot of different suggestions and information being thrown out here, many of whom have said they do not for for certain but are pretty sure, which can become a lot to try and bring together for a final decision. Here are the straight facts, coming from my own research, experience, and info directly from AMD.

* You have to make sure that your GPU matches the graphics on the APU for dual graphics (hybrid crossfire).

* You also have to ensure you get the drivers for the APU, NOT the GPU, and set it in the BIOS to run dual graphics (hybrid crossfire) as well as CCC.

* AMD does NOT support tri-crossfire or any such thing. If it IS possible, I would not suggest it. Better to just get a dedicated CPU (FX 8320 for example or core i7) and crossfire two dedicated graphics cards. Playing with this stuff and OCing does wear down your computer and decrease its overall life, not to mention you could totally botch it up and fry your machine. I do not OC anything and run any game on ultra settings with amazing performance, without spending over $600, so I know that it is not absolutely necessary.

* Finally, the quote above is misinformed. You CAN dual graphics (maybe not crossfire, if you want to get technical) an APU and GPU for better performance (though the current availability of APU's with worthwhile graphics is not that great). You CANNOT have a monitor plugged into the APU graphics and one in the GPU at the same time. You can do that with some performance issues, but they will NOT act independently. You choose one or the other; dual graphics with APU and choose which you plug into, or a dedicated graphics card that works independently from the APU.

Last edited:
Back