• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Razer Megaladon, Tricky One This.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThiefUK

Okay, I'm not usually one to look to a forum for help, but this has stumped me,
Bought a brand new set of Razer Megaladons Today, perfect condition, from CCLONLINE.COM (Picked it up).

Got it home, unboxed, undamaged, in fine condition, now the Razer Megaladon is USB Only, so i plugged it in the back USB Port, it detected it fine, downloaded the necessary driver and life was good, untill i noticed absolutely no sound was coming through at all.

Now i'll walk you through some steps i'v done so far.

- Tested it straight away on a Laptop i have, worked perfectly, plug in and play.

- Searched for drivers via Razer Site & Google, only Firmware, downloaded and installed that but still no luck with the sound.

- Went into the Sound Playback, set the Megaladon to Default Device & experimented with others, still, no luck, attempted restarts inbetween.

- Ran a driver sweeper and updated EVERYTHING possible, still no good.

- Ran a driver cleaner, cleaned and uninstalled all audio drivers and started from scratch, still no sound.

- Tried in all different (8) USB Ports i have, nothing.

- Tried an external powered USB 3.0 / 2.0 Ports, nothing.

- Reformatted my entire system. Nothing.

What the actual ****?

My system specs are as follows:

Processor - Intel I5 2500k - Overclocked to 4.5Ghz
RAM - 8 GB Vengence DDR3 1255 MHZ
Graphics - GTX 560 Ti 448 Gainward Dual Fan
Harddrive - 1 TB Western Digital Green 64 MB Cache
P8H67-M Pro Motherboard 1155 Chip
Powercool Gaming Powerpack 750W

Omg if you can get this working i'll internet High-Five you :p

Thanks for reading.

Ok so right now your system is pretty close to completly clean?

Did you try a factory reset? (hold the channel selector for 10 seconds while the headphones are connected and powered)

After the reformat, did windows detect the headset properly?

In the playback devices menu, you did select it as your default device, right?

Did you try testing setting it up to specify that it's a 7.1 system and then test the individual channels?

Is the "Maelstrom engine" active? (long button at the top of the remote)

Was the volume at a reasonable level?

You're right, there doesn't seem to be any drivers on their website but did you update the firmware? I know you mentioned you downloaded the firmware installer but did you run it?

You didn't specify your OS, I'm guessing Win7.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i tried a factory reset via the Megalodon Button -

Yes Windows has detected the device as 'Razer Megalodon' but still no sound, when i try to 'test' the sound via the /rightclick/test it comes up with 'Failed to play Test Tone'.

Yes the device is set to default device.

Yes i tried to setup invididual channels but still nothing,

The maelstrom engine is active.

The volume indicated by the device (small box) is fine, i can turn it up and down but ofc still no sound.

I have updated the firmware and it's installed correctly.

Yes i run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit,

Please note that i plugged this into my laptop running also Windows 7 and it worked straight away :(

I'm still trying to figure it out, anymore help would be great.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i tried a factory reset via the Megalodon Button -

Yes Windows has detected the device as 'Razer Megalodon' but still no sound, when i try to 'test' the sound via the /rightclick/test it comes up with 'Failed to play Test Tone'.

Yes the device is set to default device.

Yes i tried to setup invididual channels but still nothing,

The maelstrom engine is active.

The volume indicated by the device (small box) is fine, i can turn it up and down but ofc still no sound.

I have updated the firmware and it's installed correctly.

Yes i run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit,

Please note that i plugged this into my laptop running also Windows 7 and it worked straight away :(

I'm still trying to figure it out, anymore help would be great.

Ok so that covers the basic troubleshooting.

Did you try with the Maelstrom engine off?

As for the volume, I know that you can control individual channels by pressing the middle button, are you sure you change the global volume and not for example the microphone volume?

Honestly there's not much more we can do to debug this.

We know it works with another computer, you try to install it to your desktop and it doesn't. Are the drivers on your desktop up to date? The USB controller drivers in particular. What else do you have connected to your USB ports?

You mentionned 8 ports, are you talking about the internal headers? Because according to the specs you should have access to 14 ports total, 6 in the back and 8 on the headers. If you didn't try the back ports, please do it. If you tested 2 front panel ports, try changing header on the motherboard to test the others.

Good luck.

Back