• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 Heating overclocking Problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khoi420

As you all know I'm new to OC and having some heating problem.

My setttings:
CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK: 167
CPU Voltage: 1.12
Ram Voltage: 1.64 @ 1678 MHz

My specs:
650w Corsair
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
i7 930 @ 2.8ghz
18gb of Gskill @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V

Running stock fan. I just want a slight OC for this i7 to around 3.4ghz-3.5ghz.

I ran prime95 and it keeps exceeding 80 C so I stop the test fearing it might heat up too much. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.

Last edited:
It's a warm chip by it's nature compared to a 32nm SB and that's a decent OC, ditch the stock cooler junk and grab a h80 if you can or a coolermaster evo 212 if you don't want water.

I don't think 80C is bad for that OC, your voltage is excellent too if it's stable at 80. You can get up to about 90C and be okay with that chip, especially with excellent low voltage like that.

So should I continue to let prime95 run? Because I read on some OC guides and they say if prime95 exceeds 80C means I'm doing something wrong.

Yeah those are guides for proper cooling solutions I would assume, your cooling solution isn't great for OCing. 80C is an ideal goal for Prime 95 temps after half an hour.

I don't know how fast you're getting to 80C. If it's within 5 minutes then your cooler is probably saturated and won't be able to dissapate heat faster then it's coming in. If you're running it for an hour though and averaging around 80C then that is reasonable and not bad at all for that cooler.

I had a 930 and ran it at 3.5ghz, REPLACE THAT STOCK CRAP COOLER. A hyper 212 Evo would drop 10c easy. The volt you are at is actually good, 90c i would be worried, but 80c is not to bad. I wouldnt want to go much over, but if your hitting 80c with a stock cooler swapping that out to a Hyper 212 evo would help a lot.

Remember Prim95 is going to put a load on the CPU that 99% of us out there will never be able to duplicate outside of stress testing.

Thanks for the advice. I will seek out for a heatsink to solve this problem.
Also my stock RAM Speed is 1600 mhz, is it ok for me to set the speed to the closest stock speed even if it goes a bit over?

Yeah that should be okay. Run memtest86 (boots from a CD) to be sure your ram is functioning properly. You may even be able to tighten the timings on that ram, first thing's first make sure the command rate is set to 1T/N.

Back