• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x850xt pe..... ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so when you underclock it is fine right?

switching monitors shouldn't make a difference...maybe lower resolutions put less stress on the components, but i doubt it

i suggest you go out and buy a decent strong psu from a local store where you can return it, if the psu works then return the psu and order another one online.... the good psu's aren't sold in most retail stores... fortron 500w bluestorm or OCZ powerstream 520w are the ones i would suggest, if the psu doesn't work then you need to RMA that video card

you adjust AGP voltage in mobo bios

bobmanfoo said:
i suggest you go out and buy a decent strong psu from a local store where you can return it, if the psu works then return the psu and order another one online....

That sounds manifestly unethical bobmanfoo. Shame on you.

who cares i need help.....what could it mean that i underclocked it and it's fine now.
i think ill need a psu sooner or later as i might add more stuff to the machine, could that be the problem that's shutting down because of the psu.

where in bios exactly, i just dont feel like going there now but ill change it sooner or later, anyways now it's overclocked to 460/450 and i play on the 24 ' resolution 1900 1200 and i am surprised on how good the card is, i was amazed, but maybe that's because i had a ****ty card before...... anyway ill try the voltage thing and if not then i guess ill buy a psu....

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it. :)

how is that unethical? the stores have a 100% Satisfaction Guaranty Policy, which implies that you can return if you don't like it, who knows maybe you'll like it and keep it. and the employees always tell you to buy stuff and try it out and if you don't like it return it. thats how these stores, BestBuy CircuitCity CompUSA etc, keeps customers coming back, sure i return alot of stuff but i buy a whole lot more, just one of the perks of shopping at the large retail stores
DeepScience said:
That sounds manifestly unethical bobmanfoo. Shame on you.

OK, now that you have gotten the video card stable, underclock the card, play a game for at least 30min with mbm5 and rivatuner running in the background to log temps and volts, rivatuner has a hardware monitor that logs video card temps, mbm5 logs cpu temps and voltages, pay attention to the +12v rail, if the high and low difference is more than .5-.75v then your PSU is suspect, video card core temps shouldn't exceed 85-90c IRC

bobmanfoo said:
how is that unethical? the stores have a 100% Satisfaction Guaranty Policy, which implies that you can return if you don't like it, who knows maybe you'll like it and keep it.

How? You seemed to say that if you liked it you would return it for that reason, ie. have no intention whatsoever of keeping it but only using the shop as a source for test equipment. If that's what you were saying then it doesn't matter about 100% return policies - its unethical. If you didn't mean that then I would apologise immediately.

newbzg: Underclocking the card/using a lower resolution could mean two things in my mind. They would both involve less stress on the video card and therefore less power drain and less heat produced. So it could still be either the vid card overheating or the psu not coping.

My 800XTPE was doing something fairly similar and it was because of the PSU. Do you have any power saving options turned on like the HDD turning off after a while?

Also try the latest drivers from the ati website, not the ones off the cd.

ok guys here, i went into bios, and saw that one of the temp numbers came up red, and it came from the psu, so it is the psu that is makeing the trouble. there is also cables taht have specific voltage one is 12v the other 5, and other 3.3v.... and so on, so i know that it is the psu that's the issue here. I need to either fix that or just buy a new one. if i fix this one ill be able to oc my cpu a lot more..... so once again deepscience, and other people here thank you for the help, i really appriciate teh help that you guys have given me. Also which drivers, isnt tehre a 5.11 ati all i see is 5.10 and when i install the catylst drivers it gives me a cli.exe error which has to do with teh ati control panel....????? i guess i can figure this one out.....

Thanks you AGAIN !

Let us know how it turns out. I too have the same power supply and sometimes I get random boots and crashes. It happens when I am browsing Internet Explorer or maybe a quick game of CS:S.

Maybe it's not supplying enough juice to all my components (I have the same video card as you)? :shrug:

newbzg said:
ok guys here, i went into bios, and saw that one of the temp numbers came up red, and it came from the psu, so it is the psu that is makeing the trouble. there is also cables taht have specific voltage one is 12v the other 5, and other 3.3v.... and so on, so i know that it is the psu that's the issue here. I need to either fix that or just buy a new one. if i fix this one ill be able to oc my cpu a lot more..... so once again deepscience, and other people here thank you for the help, i really appriciate teh help that you guys have given me. Also which drivers, isnt tehre a 5.11 ati all i see is 5.10 and when i install the catylst drivers it gives me a cli.exe error which has to do with teh ati control panel....????? i guess i can figure this one out.....

Thanks you AGAIN !

You're most welcome. Don't get the CCC version of the drivers. Get the one that says "With Control Panel" and not the one that says "With Catalyst Control Center". I think its 25.3MB

try going into bios and just look for the temp/voltages. of the psu, and see if one of the numbers is red..... if that's the case it is the power supply, i am buying a new one so that i can overclock my cpu, and my video card beacuse now it's underclocked :( .... it's really ****in me off

LOL I just got off the CCC version and it made my card run like poop. I also have a X850XT PE.

Omega drivers are also a viable pick.

ok so this is what happened yesterday.... i installed all of bs ati drivers and when i ran the vid card at stock speed again the beep but now a massage showed up that it is the issue of heat/fan...... today i woke up and started my computer manually because i shut it down to discharge it see if it helps.... after a couple of minutes of being idle my psu died i was like whoooaaaa/ WTF ..... could not turn the machine back on....etc, today i went to micro centre and bought the OCZ powersteam 520w ... pretty cool looking btw :)

anyways i just got it up and running so ill try to run the card at stock speed and let you guys know how that works out.

:sn:

WTF !!!!! you guys it did not work, i turn ont he game and after a while a beep again from the card.... but hey i say to myself how long before it shuts down.... well it was about half an hour before the game froze.... :( i dont know what to think now....i also set my defaults in the bios.... i think that it might just be bad video card, it was made by vision tek and i am angry right now..... :(

I dont know what too do anymore.. also my cpu temp seemed to drop down after replacing the psu with the ocz powerstream 520 but still the card problem, i might just give up and return it..... :(

Didn't the card come with some way of measuring the gpu temp? Sounds like it's overheating then. It'd be nice to know what the temp is up to before sending it back. If it was me I'd check the temp first then clean the gpu and replace the paste with AS5.

Weird that the other psu stopped but wasn't the problem?

newbzg,

Are you using Omega Drivers or ATI Drivers (without Catalyst)? I'm currently using Omega Drivers (Omega 2.6.75a 10/13/05), also known as 5.10a. There have been reports on some poor performance on these drivers and some have rollbacked to version 5.9. Although I am not having as much trouble as you, I have been experiencing quirky things here and there. Again not drastic, but makes me wonder if it is too my power supply (Antec 430 watts), drivers or simply this video card.

For you I suggest you start fresh. Download driver cleaner pro install it, restart computer and press "F8" to boot into safe mode. Once in safe mode, open the driver cleaner program and remove all driver files. Once all gone, boot back into normal mode and now install new drivers (or old drivers they may work better in this case, so experiment!). Whatever driver you choose to install, always start fresh. This way there is no chance that other drivers are conflicting with each other.

What also bugs me about your case is that you can not even open ATI tool which is a very bad sign from the start. It shouldn't freeze or crash so it there could be a chance that the drivers are corrupted or conflicting some how.

Are you just testing one game or a collection of games? There have been plenty of reports that people are freezing in games because of the latest update from Valve.

Let us know how it goes! :welcome:

Back