• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to share this Peltier design with you guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's nice to extreme cooling used in such an interesting way. I would have never thought about cooling a camera, though I do not do much photography myself.

That's really cool. I enjoyed the disassembly pictures in the IR filter removal section, too.
Thanks!

Never realized astrophotography as a hobby. That has to be the coolest thing I've seen. Makes me wish I had a few thousand dollars to start that up.

woah, those are some pretty awesome pictures .. I didn't know you could take a picture through a telescope like that lol

I'd long thought of using some tiny 7 watt pelts I have (~1" sq.) to super-cool my webcam and mount it on my telescope for video. It's just the right size to fit the CCD circuit card in there. I'd run into this stuff before.
We used to use the pelts at work to cool true green laser diodes to modulate temp and keep the dot perfectly circular at 300 meters.

Cool pics on that page though...:thup:

Last edited:
CCD heating also causes pixels to light up from heat, not from light...Looks like stars are where stars aren't. It can also cause a pink glow in the corners of your shots.
In webcams, it causes pictures to get brighter and fuzzier the longer it's on, though the 5 volts in a webcam aren't nearly as hard to deal with as the ~13 in a camera's.

*I'm no pro, but this thread made me re-read some old links and google some new ones!

Last edited:
CCD heating also causes pixels to light up from heat, not from light...Looks like stars are where stars aren't. It can also cause a pink glow in the corners of your shots.
In webcams, it causes pictures to get brighter and fuzzier the longer it's on, though the 5 volts in a webcam aren't nearly as hard to deal with as the ~13 in a camera's.

*I'm no pro, but this thread made me re-read some old links and google some new ones!

wow who woulda thought cameras overheated :screwy: i wonder if you can overclock it :p

thanks for the article bro i learned something today haha

Yup, heat causes noise in the picture, the hotter it gets the more noise you get. If i had to guess, i'd guess that the infrared it radiates (everything above absolute zero radiates some, just not much till you get >200*f) is strong enough to make a pixel twitch. The hotter it is the more energy the infrared photons have, and the easier it is for them to trigger a pixel.

The above is total guesswork, but i like it :p

Also, putting it in a box like that will shield it from beta radiation that might otherwise make it through the case of the camera and trigger the sensor. It'd stop low energy gamma, too.

Nice read on that one, didn't know they heated up like that and caused artifacting myself, but haven't used equipment like that I suppose.

Back