• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is HD5870 overpriced?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Keep your "worth every penny" commentary in your own book!!!

Paying 3,5X more money for a card that only delivers 2X the performance is the most stupid thing i could think off... Unless you really have so much money that you don't care.. In my book i call it - irrational . Especially considering the fact, that for ATI it is only like 1,2X - 1,5X times more expensive to make a HD5870 than HD4870. And they sell it like 2,8 times more expensive - a total rip off.

This is the same case when NVIDIA released GTX280 and you could buy two 8800GT cards for less money and get the same performance - i see the same stupid pattern in ATI now.

The man who bought a HD4870 1 Gb for a 100 bucks must be the luckiest son of a gun in the world..
I have to agree that to me the 5870 was worth every penny. Granted it is more than 2 5770's but I'll take the price hit for the simplicity of a single GPU (and no I don't have so much money I don't care). To me only paying $400 for the top single GPU available was a steal as every other time I've upgraded (about every 2 years) you were looking closer to $500 for the top card. You will always pay a premium for high end computer gear and price to performance drops the higher you go, but that's just the way it is.

Keep your "worth every penny" commentary in your own book!!!

Paying 3,5X more money for a card that only delivers 2X the performance is the most stupid thing i could think off... Unless you really have so much money that you don't care.. In my book i call it - irrational . Especially considering the fact, that for ATI it is only like 1,2X - 1,5X times more expensive to make a HD5870 than HD4870. And they sell it like 2,8 times more expensive - a total rip off.

This is the same case when NVIDIA released GTX280 and you could buy two 8800GT cards for less money and get the same performance - i see the same stupid pattern in ATI now.

The man who bought a HD4870 1 Gb for a 100 bucks must be the luckiest son of a gun in the world..

Whoe whoe whoe...lol!

The new cards (new anything) are always more expensive at launch. I-Phones, cars, PS3s...etc. And this is a top of the line card! Think about this...

I own a newer Ford F-150 4x4, it cost quite a bit of money, but I have the (little) 4.6L motor and a trim package without all the frills...if you go out and price a King Ranch F-150 4x4 Quad Cab with the 5.4L it's gonna run you about 10k more. Go price a new F-150 Raptor...that's a $45000 pickup! Of course it has a 6.2L motor, leather, and you can drive the damn thing off a cliff. Things are worth what they are worth cause people buy it. Does it cost Ford twice as much to make the Raptor? No, but your forgetting the years of R&D development and testing it.

This is even more prevalent in the computer industry...2014's video cards are being thought of and designed today. Someone has to foot that bill, the physical cost of any computer part is really small. It's the R&D that kills them.

The 5870 is worth every penny...to the person who wants it, the person who wants the best Ati card. Bang for buck is it the best Ati card, probably not? That would probably be the 5850 or 5830 if your looking at dollar per fps. :chair:

Here are some real fast results for my ole 4890s.
The Crysis Bench is the HardwareOC bench ran at 1920x1080 very high with tweaks, scoring goes min--ave--max.
The 3DMark benches are at default settings, scoring is standard like you would submit.
Computer was restarted after enabling/disabling X-Fire. I can produce screenshots with CPUz/GPUz if requested.

The spreadsheet below references this ^^^^.

These were taken by FRAPS F-10 function, 5 sec intervals. All settings are set to VERY HIGH, 1080p, 4xAA, Vsync on.

86123860.png

92292471.png

67975891.png

48665905.png

50811372.png

82465500.png

Attachments

• oking.jpg
    oking.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Jesus man... that guy's mod is terrible looking to me... yours looks way better wingy...

Sorry to threadjack, but I have to agree here. Look at the textures on the rocks. In the mod SS, it looks like it's a 60x60 map stretched over a rock that needs at least 512x512. The 8800 looks much, much better IMHO.

Sorry to threadjack, but I have to agree here. Look at the textures on the rocks. In the mod SS, it looks like it's a 60x60 map stretched over a rock that needs at least 512x512. The 8800 looks much, much better IMHO.

Agreed, the above screenshots are regular vanilla Crysis.

Here are some real fast results for my ole 4890s.
The Crysis Bench is the HardwareOC bench ran at 1920x1080 very high with tweaks, scoring goes min--ave--max.
The 3DMark benches are at default settings, scoring is standard like you would submit.
Computer was restarted after enabling/disabling X-Fire. I can produce screenshots with CPUz/GPUz if requested.

The spreadsheet below references this ^^^^.

These were taken by FRAPS F-10 function, 5 sec intervals. All settings are set to VERY HIGH, 1080p, 4xAA, Vsync on.

86123860.png

92292471.png

67975891.png

48665905.png

50811372.png

82465500.png

Thanks here is some old screenshot's from my 8800GT looks like you have more color.

crysis18800gt1600x200.jpg

crysis28800gt1600x200.jpg

crysis48800gt1600x1200.png

crysis38800gt1600x1200.png

Last edited:
^^^ Wingman, yea...it does look a bit more vivid...but nothing crazy. Are you running any AA in your screenies, the trees look jaggy. Or I'm way tired, lol. :D

^^^ Wingman, yea...it does look a bit more vivid...but nothing crazy. Are you running any AA in your screenies, the trees look jaggy. Or I'm way tired, lol. :D
I think I found the problem the first 2 are (.JPG) and the second two I loaded are (.PNG) they look much better.

And to the OP if you want top of the line ATI video cards you have to pay for it, otherwise you can't get top performance and all the extra features coming out in the future games, it's all about supply and demand. If it's not worth it to you, that's is fine, I can agree with you on that statement.

Last edited:
I think I found the problem the first 2 are (.JPG) and the second two I loaded are (.PNG) they look much better.

And to the OP if you want top of the line ATI video cards you have to pay for it, otherwise you can't get top performance and all the extra features coming out in the future games, it's all about supply and demand. If it's not worth it to you, that's is fine, I can agree with you on that statement.

Sorry I wasnt able to get on my pc last night.. Too much work around yard to be done :(

Yea I saved them as a .jpg (im not sure why I did to be honest)! I will load it up tonight and save a couple as .png and see how it looks..

The mod I used was called Real Lifesis. You can find ithttp://downloads.guru3d.com/Real-Lifesis-Crysis-Mod-download-2253.html

Thanks for the tests Xokeman! :)

Rig is in my sig...I can run the CPU anywhere you want at or below 3.8ghz. I'll run fraps and just pull a few random screen shots for ya. Also, if you can think of any free synthetic benches we could both run those. I have full version of Vantage as well. Will be later on tonight, I have a meeting with a client in a couple hours, after that I'll bench.

So run it at "1920 x 1080 AAx2" regular/high/very high?
Do you have a link to the mod your running (I never modded Crysis before)?

I havent tried this benchmark yet but it seems to be gathering some attention.. I will try it tonight

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/19/download-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-call-of-pripyat-benchmark/

420 meg download and its totally free..

My Stalker run. Gotta go work for a bit now. :D

Attachments

• stalker.png
    stalker.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 169
regards to the OP:

Having bought a 5870 1GB, I justified the cost as having one of the top cards on the market as well has having features that will last me into the future. The fact that it uses less power at idle than a 4870 is a nice bonus as well.

Of course the prices seems insane, but as someone already said, you're comparing a current card vs. a last generation card. Once a newer version comes out, its price tends to drop fast, even if it is still a respectable performer.

If a 5870 is too pricey, then picking up a pair of 4870 and CF them to get similar performance as one 5870 for less money is a pretty good idea.

I just came from a 4890x2 Crossfire setup, and let me tell you, my 5870x2 crossfire really does make a large difference, however I only game at 2560x1600 (all options maxed) on 99% of the games I play. I only have issues with one game, Metro 2033, Dx11 completely annihilates the FPS at 2560x1600 with all options maxed. So I play it at that weird 1650x something or other resolution, however if I change it to dx10, Im back in business.

Just today I ordered a third 5870, only cost 380 on newegg.com with free shipping. Should be here tomorrow.

However after reading a couple "triple threat" gpu reviews on the 3x5870 vs 3x480 nvidias, Im kinda wishing I had gone down the Nvidia route, the performance scaling is amazing at high resolutions.

Good run, that game like your card a lot! Or your i7 is raping my 965, lol!

Back