• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No FX Steamrollers in 2014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, no competition is not good for all of us. I was looking forward to the new Fx. They may not be able to compete with Intel's high end chips, in benching in most cases, but they are still some pretty good chips.

Yes, no competition is not good for all of us. I was looking forward to the new Fx. They may not be able to compete with Intel's high end chips, in benching in most cases, but they are still some pretty good chips.

And a lot of fun to play with. The writings been on the wall for a while I just didn't want to accept it. :cry:

I'm glad I just picked up a socket 1155 board off the classifieds recently. No CPU for it yet but I get tired of waiting on AMD to deliver a real counterpunch.

I am pricing out and speccing a socket 2011 setup. It is not cheap but it is closer to what I like to spend my time with.
RGone...

I am pricing out and speccing a socket 2011 setup. It is not cheap but it is closer to what I like to spend my time with.
RGone...

You got till the 21st to get that 199$ 4770K. I did the same when the 3770K came out with the low price of 229$ in store price only. Now look at the proce of the same Cpu new. 300$> Think of it as an investment.

I gotta say this is the only cpu I've ever purchased that was worth more than what I paid for it.

Is it faster than AMD? Ya, but I wouldn't have gotten one if the price wasn't that low.

Fact of the matter is, AMD has nothing that can compete with that price to performance.

Thank you Micro Center :D

RGone...

You and me both ...... but dam the potential is there to spend as much for just the motherboard and the CPU as I did with my last system ........ :shock: Looking at the 4930K + ?

You and me both ...... but dam the potential is there to spend as much for just the motherboard and the CPU as I did with my last system ........ :shock: Looking at the 4930K + ?

You said it bassnut, can always wait for the classies. So far from what I've seen the 39xx series seem to be better clockers than the new line.

In order not to break my bank if I find one; I am looking at the Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor (10M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz). It is hyperthreaded for 4/8 and I think my single stage would handle it better since every new Intel cpu is hotter. Just my surmising right now.
RGBobertone...ster.

I really haven't had much time to look into the Intel stuff yet, got a lot of reading to do first and for what I use my system for to be honest my rig now will do everything I want ...... but still the upgrade urge is there but shelved for now. I can get the chip here in Kingston but they only have 1 motherboard with the 2011 socket, ASUS P9X79 ...... probably a good thing as I really don't like ordering online if I can avoid it. Gotta see how this new job works out first, more important things to spend my $ on first.

Don't be put off so quickly yet, keep an eye on the FM2+ platform. The XBone and PS4 are using an 8 core APU (clocked 1.6-1.8GHz) and upcoming games will likely be developed around that set of hardware (even for PC), and Mantle is coming which should reduce overhead in games. I have an A4 5000 (1.5GHz quad core Jaguar) in my laptop and it's not half bad and extremely power friendly (15W TDP).

But personally right now, today, I prefer Intel for gaming and performance, there aren't enough games out there to take advantage of AMD's multi-core and Intel just has a faster IPC to handle single threaded games. So yeah my i5 3550 beats the snot out of the FX 4350 in some games, especially Battlefield 4, Guild Wars 2 and PlanetSide 2.

I am glad at least that their gpus lineup is as strong as it has ever been. I am confident that their steamroller based apus will perform well for the mainstream market. They might even be more useful now with the increased attention that steam os is giving to htpcs.

Add me to the folks dissapointed by this development. I've been holding out for 28 or 22m Steamroller, because I hadn't seen anything from the FX that would be a significant enough improvement from my PhenomII for the price. I was really hoping for a 5GHz+ steamroller setup with reasonable power consumption.

I now have my first Intel system in 10+ years heading my way. It makes me sad that after 4 platform changes (Socket A, 939, AM2, AM2+) and even more CPUs, AMD has finally reached a point where they no longer offer a competitive platform for my needs. I'm finally retiring my Thermalright Ultra 90 that lasted me 7 years and three platform changes.

I held out this long because I disliked Intel's clock locking, poor IHS contact, and exorbitant pricing, but it seems like AMD has given up on the enthusiast market altogether. I guess I'll see what they come out with in 2015.

it seems like AMD has given up on the enthusiast market altogether. I guess I'll see what they come out with in 2015.

In a manner of speaking yes they have. I am sourcing all my parts for a move to a rather pricey Intel rig since I like to play and their average platform is as you say not so much fun to play with. Raise multiplier. Add Vcore. Add cooling and it is over with in general. I am not into that so the pricier 2011 platform is in my future. How far out? No answer.
RGone...ster.

Whilst they are concentrating on where they do best, it does seem a shame that Intel will have little competition at the high end which could mean higher prices.

as opposed to their normally low low prices on the high end?

Meh, it is true on either side. You got the best you charge way more than it is worth :)

805D was cheap compared to a 4400 a64 (what sucks is we gotta go back that far to show AMD dominance)

I am anti-Intel because of their business practices and the slap on the wrist they got for it not because of their products nor their normal pricing schemes. I justify, to myself, using their high end products only by buying them used. :chair:

It might be hypocritical but I sleep well at night :comp:

Back