• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess I can join the Club. I bought an HIS R9 290X from Ninjacore and installed it last Friday. Nebulous expanded my brain when he mentioned he had a GPU cooled with an AIO, H80 IIRC, and prompted me to ask some questions, look at some alternatives. I'm now waiting on an NZXT Kraken G10 and will see whether my spare H60 or H50 will fit up. The H50 is listed on NZXT's site as a match, the H60 isn't; we'll find out.

The h60 won't fit. It's a coolIT rebrand and the nzxt bracket is only designed to work with the circular asetek rebrands. The h50 should work fine though.

I picked up the MSI 290X OC Gaming card last week. I had 3 6970s in crossfire but when I would stream it would drop to 1 card usually. :/

So far its been a fairly good card! My only issue has been when the monitor shuts off, I sometimes get a blue screen. I read its due to the ULPS. Anyone else encounter this?

have any of you guys had problems with throttling when overclocking these?

if i make any changes to the voltage my core clock drops straight away even though temps only in 50's. can do 1100/1550 on stock volts. but if it even put the voltage to +1 it drops??

I have two MSI R9 290X Lightning cards. Running factory settings at the moment but I do plan to push the overclock.

I picked up the MSI 290X OC Gaming card last week. I had 3 6970s in crossfire but when I would stream it would drop to 1 card usually. :/

So far its been a fairly good card! My only issue has been when the monitor shuts off, I sometimes get a blue screen. I read its due to the ULPS. Anyone else encounter this?

Stock bios does funky things...I'd suggest flashing a modded bios, not sure if there are any newer ones, otherwise the ones in the OP work.
or increase the fan speed as that is whata lot do.. not sure about the ones in the op though.

Stock bios does funky things...I'd suggest flashing a modded bios, not sure if there are any newer ones, otherwise the ones in the OP work.

or increase the fan speed as that is whata lot do.. not sure about the ones in the op though.

have a sapphire tri x. is bios the same.

read about the fan speed thing there pretty loud over 50% tho :(

i messed round with AB settings and think it stopped dropping now anyway. something to do with powerplay or unofficial overclocking

Ah, Tri-X...you'll be golden with that cooler.
If it throttles it must be the quiet bios mode (290x right?)

yeah its 290x the 1010mhz one only throttles if i change voltage, well sometimes it does, seems to be working ok at moment.

had 1160/ 1550 @ +100mv, but can run 1100/1475 on stock volts so not worth extra heat and noise for me.

can play farcry 3 on 2560x1440 monitor everything on high/ very high and 4x msaa so dont need much more power anyway :)

I run afterburner with a custom fan profile and while playing something like BF4 for an hour, temps never manage to go above 70. It just seems to happen when the card is doing nothing and I am away from the system.

Had a 290 for about 2 weeks now and its a great card and the model I got has good overclocking however I play with Vsync on which if the card can't maintain a locked 60 it drops back to 30 at least on Black Flag and Crysis 3. And with that drop the core clock drops also as its not rendering as much. Wiith Vsync off it stays at full load all the time and the clock never drops but I hate screen tear. Is there a way to eliminate screen tear while keeping Vsync off?

Grabbed a second 290x a couple of days ago (HIS). Ref design.
Flashed the Stilt Bios to get 1050 KH/s scrypt mining. Same as the unlocked Sapphire. Works great: 2.1MH/s with 2 cards!

I guess I need a 1440p or a 4K monitor now, lol.

What is this sorcery? I only get about 975. What clocks did you use for over 1mh?

Also on stilt on my 3 290xs and I get about 900 on the 290

1050/1350

Edit: I use the lowest VID Stilt Bios.

I thought that is what I have mine set to, may try it later this evening over TeamViewer just in case it crashes.

I ended up needing to use the second highest VID bios, otherwise I was getting crashes.

I am right at 1MH with 1020/1250 clocks. I had to LOWER the lightning clocks to 1020 to reach that value. Stock bios and voltage. I think I am set at I=20 and TC=32765.

Last edited:
Back