• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA IV on PC: were the bugs ever fixed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

GTA IV is the only GTA game I never bought, pretty much only because my friend told me it was buggier than a picnic in the everglades. Did Rockstar ever fix the bugs in the PC version of GTA IV? Are there any mods for it?

I think the game runs pretty darn well and there are a ton of mods for it. One note about the mods, most of them work best on the 1.0.4.0 patch, the latest patch is 1.0.7.0. You have to be at the 7 patch to play online. Look at my posts in the screenshot thread for some modded goodness.

The game has come a long way since its release and runs well in my experience (occasional texture pop in but that's about it). Other than that the game with some of the ENB mods can look downright stunning.

GTA4 and EFLC run flawlessly on my machine. The only issue is when I go into the Booth Tunnel, on the way down the hill, the road texture disappears and then reappears. I think I remember this happening on Xbox as well though. Otherwise they run quite solid.

I bought it for ten bucks or so on Steam a while ago. I have yet to run into a bug or glitch, nor do I have any slow-running issues on a stock 3770k and stock reference 580.

If GTA IV is a massive resouce hog on PC's, how did it run on consoles?

I think it's such a disaster on PCs because it's a very sloppy port from consoles.

GTA IV on the pc runs well now. The textures and models look a bit dated now, but the game runs well and the story is great. The gameplay isn't as polished as GTA V though.

At least this game runs unlike Watch Dogs which I still have not been able to play since Tuesday.

I bet the new consoles are what's holding the GTA V PC release back. Every other GTA game the PC version would have released by now, but they're probably working on getting it to the xbox one and PS4 and relasing it all at once.

I kinda wish it would have released, I bought Watch Dogs and the performance is crap with 2 290s.

I bet the new consoles are what's holding the GTA V PC release back. Every other GTA game the PC version would have released by now, but they're probably working on getting it to the xbox one and PS4 and relasing it all at once.

I kinda wish it would have released, I bought Watch Dogs and the performance is crap with 2 290s.

OT: I'm honestly surprised. I updated to the 14.6 drivers last night, with a single 290x (I have xfire disabled for folding) I have 0 issues at 2560x1440p running on ultra (with vsync on)

On topic: I believe GTA5 will be released for PC/xbone/ps4 at the same time later this year. It was stated in an investor call that Rockstar will be releasing a game this year, it's almost guaranteed to be that.

The only major bug I found in gta 4 was the swing set bug, but it was fun.I hope they didn't fix that one.
Other than that I never had any problems and I had the release date version with out the internet stuff so I never updated it. I just wanted to play the game

Do you skip every game your friend tells you is buggy? I've had hours and hours of fun over many years now on GTA IV. I have no idea why anyone would have passed.

There's been much buggier releases......

Do you skip every game your friend tells you is buggy? I've had hours and hours of fun over many years now on GTA IV. I have no idea why anyone would have passed.

I can see why someone would hold off on a game they heard was buggy. Why pay for something that comes off as half assed? I'd rather wait for it to be polished and it might drop in price over paying $50-$60 for something that comes off as a Beta release.

Like someone else said, why should I shell out $50 to be a beta
tester?

I'd rather play a game than spend hours on tech support lines or
tracking down fixes for bugs.

Bioshock 2 is a game I bought and never managed to play a single
second of that buggy POS game.

You missed out on a fantastic game because one person told you it was buggy.

Meanwhile I played it just fine with a Q6600 and a 512MB 4870 5 years ago...

You missed out on a fantastic game because one person told you it was buggy.

Meanwhile I played it just fine with a Q6600 and a 512MB 4870 5 years ago...

That's a bit unfair, at launch GTA4 was incredibly buggy and very poorly optimized to run on PC (poor performance, etc). Things have greatly improved since then though.

Like someone else said, why should I shell out $50 to be a beta
tester?

I'd rather play a game than spend hours on tech support lines or
tracking down fixes for bugs.

Bioshock 2 is a game I bought and never managed to play a single
second of that buggy POS game.

You should check out steam early access. People pay $60+ to play some betas! But seriously it's always important to look at various opinions and reviews. Even when GTA IV first came out on the pc I thought the performance issues were highly exaggerated. Even today you can make it run like crap if you want it to, but the game runs well and still looks respectable.

Back