• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these RAM Sticks compatible with Maximus VII HERO? Not on QVL. Please see :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Good day!

I will be acquiring a Maximus VII HERO soon, for an Intel i7-4790K and will be upgrading my PC :)

However, I may or may not have enough cash for some new RAM. But, in my old PC, I use my OEM RAM (and mobo) from an HP computer.

It's 8GB HYNIX RAM (I think). And this RAM is NOT on the QVL (Qualified Vendor Lists of RAM, compatible RAM) of M7Hero. But, are the RAM listed on the QVL the ONLY ones that would work on this motherboard?

I used Speccy and got these results:

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"][B]RAM
	Memory slots
		Total memory slots	4
		Used memory slots	2
		Free memory slots	2
	Memory
		Type	DDR3
		Size	8192 MBytes
		Channels #	Dual
		DRAM Frequency	665.1 MHz
		CAS# Latency (CL)	9 clocks
		RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)	9 clocks
		RAS# Precharge (tRP)	9 clocks
		Cycle Time (tRAS)	24 clocks
		Command Rate (CR)	1T
	SPD
		Number Of SPD Modules	2
			Slot #1
				Type	DDR3
				Size	4096 MBytes
				Manufacturer	Hyundai Electronics
				Max Bandwidth	PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
				Part Number	HMT351U6BFR8C-H9  
				Serial Number	0C30ACC5
				Week/year	36 / 10
				SPD Ext.	EPP
					JEDEC #4
						Frequency	685.7 MHz
						CAS# Latency	9.0
						RAS# To CAS#	9
						RAS# Precharge	9
						tRAS	25
						tRC	34
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #3
						Frequency	609.5 MHz
						CAS# Latency	8.0
						RAS# To CAS#	8
						RAS# Precharge	8
						tRAS	22
						tRC	30
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #2
						Frequency	533.3 MHz
						CAS# Latency	7.0
						RAS# To CAS#	7
						RAS# Precharge	7
						tRAS	20
						tRC	27
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #1
						Frequency	457.1 MHz
						CAS# Latency	6.0
						RAS# To CAS#	6
						RAS# Precharge	6
						tRAS	17
						tRC	23
						Voltage	1.500 V
			Slot #2
				Type	DDR3
				Size	4096 MBytes
				Manufacturer	Hyundai Electronics
				Max Bandwidth	PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
				Part Number	HMT351U6BFR8C-H9  
				Serial Number	0C80ACC0
				Week/year	36 / 10
				SPD Ext.	EPP
					JEDEC #4
						Frequency	685.7 MHz
						CAS# Latency	9.0
						RAS# To CAS#	9
						RAS# Precharge	9
						tRAS	25
						tRC	34
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #3
						Frequency	609.5 MHz
						CAS# Latency	8.0
						RAS# To CAS#	8
						RAS# Precharge	8
						tRAS	22
						tRC	30
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #2
						Frequency	533.3 MHz
						CAS# Latency	7.0
						RAS# To CAS#	7
						RAS# Precharge	7
						tRAS	20
						tRC	27
						Voltage	1.500 V
					JEDEC #1
						Frequency	457.1 MHz
					CAS# Latency	6.0
						RAS# To CAS#	6
						RAS# Precharge	6
						tRAS	17
						tRC	23
						Voltage	1.500 V[/B][/FONT]
So, can I use it for the mean time? With M7Hero and 4790K? Please tell me what you think :)

Thank you very much in advance :)

I do apologize if it is lengthy. But I just wanted it to be as detailed as possible. To you help you out as well :)

Also, I will not be doing any overclocking as 4790K can go up to 4.4Ghz i believe, which I'm more than happy about :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Should run just fine as long as you run the proper speed, timings, and voltage :)

The QVL list means sticks were TESTED it does not mean, in all cases, if it is not on the list it wont work. Chances are, it will. If you want to be 100% instead of 99%, then get something from the list.

Hynix BFR series are compatible with nearly every available board but they're older IC. I think they're somewhere on the compatibility list but used in other brand memory and hidden under heatsink or with rebranded chips.

Proper speed timing and voltage? Um all I know is insert the ram modules :p

Those parameters aren't set automatically? :)

No plans to overclock

From your first post:

Code:
JEDEC #4
 Frequency 685.7 MHz
 CAS# Latency 9.0
 RAS# To CAS# 9
 RAS# Precharge 9
 tRAS 25
 tRC 34
 Voltage 1.500 V

That's the speed, timings, and voltage.

Yes sir, but, do I have to set these speeds somewhere like BIOS? Or I just insert the ram like plug and play?

Because as far as I know The RAM has it's own speed and timings that I just have to plug them in. :/

So I set the DRAM Frequency at 1333MHz in BIOS? Or do i have to get closer to this number of 685.7MHz ? :shrug:

685.7 * 2 = 1371.4MHz

Your base RAM frequency is 685.7MHz, the DDR (Double Data Rate) is 1371.4MHz.

Just out of curiosity are you buying the Maximus Hero VII or is someone giving it to you?
You can save a bunch of money by going with another board that is just as good. Then use the savings to get Ram that is a bit faster.

If you haven't bought/received the Maximus already I'd just get this

It is multiplied by two because it is DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate)

You probably won't have a multiplier that will get it to exactly 1374.4MHz, so just go for 1333MHz :)

Just out of curiosity are you buying the Maximus Hero VII or is someone giving it to you?
You can save a bunch of money by going with another board that is just as good. Then use the savings to get Ram that is a bit faster.

If you haven't bought/received the Maximus already I'd just get this

Someone also gave me that suggestion, but I'll get new ram soon :) I just need my computer to function for everyday use for now :)

And also, just out of curiosity, how good and different is the Maximus 7 compared to the ASRock? Is it functionally better?

Because I'm willing to spend the extra 50 USD for the Maximus 7. :D

I would get the ASRock as well.

No bother at all, you're welcome :)

Proper speed timing and voltage?
To be more accurate, proper frequency, timings, and voltage. For the Intel Core i7-4790K, the specified memory specifications supported are DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 (nominal frequencies of 666⅔ Mhz and 800 MHz).

The Hynix HMT351U6BFR8C-H9 memory modules should come programed to conform to DDR3-1333. The programing is used during auto configuration of the memory controller.

Those parameters aren't set automatically?
They can be, especially if they exist on the memory module's SPD EEPROM.

Last edited:
So I set the DRAM Frequency at 1333MHz in BIOS? Or do i have to get closer to this number of 685.7MHz ?
Neither. If you want to manually set the frequency, without any overclock, set it to a nominal value of 666⅔ MHz in the system firmware's shell. BIOS should not be available for the Asus Maximus VII HERO.

The SPD information provided in the initial post to this thread, if generated by Speccy, is unreliable because Speccy does not correctly interpret DDR3 SDRAM SPD. Many free SPD reading software have this problem (including CPU-Z). If using free software, use a version HWiNFO more accurate (but still not quite accurate) results. HWiNFO may (incorrectly) include an extra frequency timings/voltage data in addition to the correct data.

Back