• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Internet Explorer run a 'security scan' of every downloaded file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
...separate from your Antivirus software?

I rarely use IE but noticed that upon a completion of a download, a separate IE process wanted to phone home... saying it wanted to run a security scan of a downloaded file.

If people have updated and trusted Antivirus software, why is this necessary? Is the benefit of this for Microsoft to collect data on what you downloaded and when? Or is this 'security scan' ON by default to protect you from malware just in case you don't have Antivirus software installed?

Which IE option controls it?

Did you ever consider that it might actually just be a security scan and nothing more?

If you don't like it, don't use IE, simple as that.

What it is: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/smartscreen-filter-frequently-asked-questions-ie9
SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. SmartScreen Filter can also help protect you from downloading or installing malware (malicious software).

How to disable:
1.Open Internet Explorer.

2.Tap or click the Tools Tools button, then tap or click Safety.

3.Tap or click Turn off SmartScreen Filter, and then choose either Turn off SmartScreen Filter

4.In the Microsoft SmartScreen Filter dialog box, tap or click OK.

So after a quick trip to google to learn what it was myself (I dont use IE), it looks like its just there for malware and phishing protection. :)

It's annoying, but usually takes a few seconds.

Overkill on M$'s part, or they are snoopy. :shrug:
I dunno

If you don't like it, don't use IE, simple as that.

LOL - Good one ;). I think most of us here do not use IE, I don't use it.

So anyway, it is not the SmartScreen Filter, I know what that is, and remember turning it off the day Windows 8 came out and I installed it. I checked and it is still off.

So you download a file, any file, and then... what? IE contacts a web site and does what?
And how do I make it not do anything and let my Antivirus handle security?

EDIT: There are reports of this 'scan' hanging computers.

Last edited:
I have a Windows 7 box here in front of me, I thought I'd open IE 9 to see what it looks like; I had to put it away because IE was making the graphics driver crash...

hey! I like IE! its not bad I have only some issues going to some sites (that seem to no longer support IE)

Strange, I have always used IE but I also have Norton and it checks the file instead of IE. I have used IE since the Netscape fiasco, I have tried a few but I just don't want to spend my time learning a new browser when IE seems to work without all the tweaking.

Once again, this is not a SmartScreen Filter, and it can be unnecessary for Windows to be doing all those scans if a good third party Antivirus is already installed... so how do you disable it?

Other than simply blocking access to whatever site it "phones home" to, I'd just ignore it and ditch IE entirely.

I see absolutely no reason to use except in the case of some website that are too old for chrome or firefox, or sites that are too stubborn to upgrade to a modern age of browsing. (Like my college's VMware LabManager. IE only. :mad: )

We already established that I don't use IE, there are other reasons for asking how to do something... ;) First thread in a long time with 10 posts of none of us knowing the answer.

So big + friendly LOL to you'all for copy-pasting first Google hits and golden oldies 'why would you wanna do that?' and 'just stop using it!'

:beer: :D :grouphug:

Sorry.. I had thought figuring out what it is(ok may have been from the description) and having instructions to disable it could help. I will leave it alone next time.

If it cannot be disabled no matter what, since when was this mandatory scan present in Internet Explorer?

Did all versions 10 and all versions 9 have this?

OK, I still do not know the answer but I think that you mean this. Like it says there, that fix does not work any longer past IE9 beta. The object shown that they ticked, is ticked prompt in mine. Not sure if that helps at all or fixes the issue. I can say that Norton checks mine and IE does not, ever. I also never use the IE download manager and maybe that is it.

Because I do not use IE, I don't seem to recall if it always did this or what?

Download a file, any file, that's download, not RUN file, download a file then keep looking at the screen as the download finishes, do you get this message:
Running security scan...

If not, which version of IE and OS are you running. Let's start from there.

As for your link, EarthDog may have been too quick on the thanks button there ;) Yes, I knew there was a way to disable this on experimental Beta versions of IE but not final versions (but who would run a Beta browser, they are insecure as it is...) Also, IE10 comes with Windows 8, not IE9 even if it worked on IE9 final :(

IE 8 (Comes with Windows)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

No such prompt at all.
I suspect it is a new "feature" starting from IE9

If you are like me, and don't want IE, it can be uninstalled. Programs and features-> turn Windows features on and off. Works for 7,8, and 8.1.

IE is probably telling ms what you download, but they also spend time developing the app so it might be doing something.

really, if it isn't something you want happening you have two choices, turn it off or switch browsers.

Back